[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tie Breaker

Boilerduff

Well, We screwed up.

We have a Tiebreaker player as our tie breaker. Well, the teams in the Semis Tied, With both of the tiebreaker players getting -3. Tied tiebreakers.

Without the lectures of "you should have figured this out before the season" What would be a fair way to handle the tie breaker.

Go back a week to last week's Tiebreaker?

Total TD's

Bench Points

Total Points on the Season?

Flip a Coin?

Any other creative and fair ideas?

Should this be put to a league vote?

I want to do right by the league, but I am not sure what to do.

Kicker? I am in the SB with the winner of this game. It has to be on the up and up.

Well, We screwed up.

We have a Tiebreaker player as our tie breaker. Well, the teams in the Semis Tied, With both of the tiebreaker players getting -3. Tied tiebreakers.

Without the lectures of "you should have figured this out before the season" What would be a fair way to handle the tie breaker.

Go back a week to last week's Tiebreaker?

Total TD's

Bench Points

Total Points on the Season?

Flip a Coin?

Any other creative and fair ideas?

Should this be put to a league vote?

I want to do right by the league, but I am not sure what to do.

Kicker? I am in the SB with the winner of this game. It has to be on the up and up.

Whatever you do will piss one owner off which sucks.

I think the only fair thing to do at this point is to flip a coin or roll the dice. Any other method will be perceived as unduly favoring the winner.

Crappy situation to be sure. Putting it to a league vote is not gonna help. Your gonna have to do this one on your own. The main problem as i see it is that no matter what rule you impose to settle the matter, you could feasibly determine the outcome and therefore determine what team you face in the SB. I mean say you want total TD's. You could go and look to see what team had more TD's. But maybe you don't want to face THAT team because they could give you the biggest fight in the SB. So you use bench points. This way the weaker team wins and you get to play THEM for the SB. Your screwed no matter what system you use because you already have all the info to determine the winner and some might say you picked such and such so you could play such and such.

Have to go with random here IMO. Where the control is taken out of yours and everyones hands. I would suggest dice rolls on a dice server.

No real winner in this thing at all, especially you. Good luck.

Whatever you do will piss one owner off which sucks.

I think the only fair thing to do at this point is to flip a coin or roll the dice. Any other method will be perceived as unduly favoring the winner.

:D

Must of been typing at the same time.

It really is the only "fair" way to go.

One option would be to have those teams play a "doubleheader" next week.

Winner of those two teams next week would be winner this coming week, and that same lineup of the winning team would be up against you in the Championship.

Just something that both owners may agree too since it would "settled on the field" instead by some random event.

Good luck on this one and get your rules updated. BTW we came up with the following tiebreakers in our league if you are looking for ideas.

Total TD's scored (including D/ST)

Total yards gained including made FG's

Longest FG made

Coin toss

I doubt it would ever get to the coin flip but you never know.

One option would be to have those teams play a "doubleheader" next week.

Winner of those two teams next week would be winner this coming week, and that same lineup of the winning team would be up against you in the Championship.

Just something that both owners may agree too since it would "settled on the field" instead by some random event.

Bad idea. I would not want to play against 2 teams in the playoffs since they tied the previous week.

Maybe because I have played so long and have won and lost my share, I can look at it objectively.

As an all powerful and maniacal Commish, I would look at which was actually the better team. W-L record, Total points scored during the season, total TDs, etc. Whatever you do it will be hard. Be fair and don't decide who you want to win, just decide what team was actually better. Present your findings to the league and the players and see what happens.

Did one team squeak in and the other was clearly a playoff winner? Was this a wild card against a division winner? If the latter was the case, I reward the division winner a .5 point tie breaker!

If you don't want to do the work and the justification/argumentation that would go along with it, I would suggest either: Card Draw, Coin Flip or dice roll. I would HATE to have my entire season decided like that and would not feel good about it.

Good Luck!

I don't see any alternative other than a random tiebreaker.

Does your league use decimal place scoring? Irrelevant at this point I guess, just very surprising if you do that the two teams would be tied and their bench player would also be tied.

I also see some value to recusing yourself from this one since you obviously have a vested interest in the outcome, if you have another trusted owner in the league who could be deputized to make the decision here.

In our leauge, in the event of a tie in a playoff game, the team that has the most points for the season advances. The total points for the season is the most fair way to determine the stronger of the two teams IMO. If you decide not to do it with a random coin toss or roll of the dice, then this is probally the most fair way to determine the team most worthy to advance. Just my opinion.

Agreed, tough situation. No lectures, you live and you learn.

One of our tiebreaker levels is higher seed advances. I can't remember which ones comes first, but higher seed is like the 3rd or 4th tiebreaker. To me, the higher seed earned some kind of privelege and this may be the only thing the majority of the guys in your league may agree with.

That being said, given that you have to decide now, someone is going to be unhappy.

ONe step up from a coin toss. :D

Pick a game next week that both owners like and have them pick the over/under or the spread. NOT the vegas line but their own. For example the Dal PHI game.

We had this problem years ago and each owner still thought their skill of picking football games gave them the edge. Both aggreed... Made it easy on me, the commish. :D

EDIT: each team will have to put their lineup in next week.

Edited by daboz

ONe step up from a coin toss. :D

Pick a game next week that both owners like and have them pick the over/under or the spread. NOT the vegas line but their own. For example the Dal PHI game.

We had this problem years ago and each owner still thought their skill of picking football games gave them the edge. Both aggreed... Made it easy on me, the commish. :D

EDIT: each team will have to put their lineup in next week.

I strongly disagree with this as it means the other team in the SB is basically facing TWO teams.

Thanks to all of the Input here! It was very helpful. I especially like the pick a game option by Daboz! We may have to put that in there.

What we ( me and the co commish) did was run a bunch of senarios, and in 90% of them the carson palmer owner won. So we gave him the nod. Then the owner playing against Carson Palmer goes....umm, Didn't he have a fumble? (fanball has this wrong, you may want to check your scores)

He ends up being correct, - 3 to Palmer's owner and the third place bowl. He had the best team, but ended up losing.

Sucks for CP owner, but the good news is I don't have to face LT! :D

Thanks for the help everyone!

Edited by Boilerduff

We do the same thing (tiebreak players). During reg season, we let game end in tie. During playoffs, we actually just go down the roster and compare players:

QB

RB1

WR1

RB2

WR2

TE

K

D

ST

If by some miracle two teams turned in an exact replica of each other, we flip a coin.

I'd say :

A - flip a coin

B - assuming your tiebreak tie at 3 was yardage on both sides (and non-decimal scoring), did one guy have more yards - essentially goes to a decimal scoring, but the integrity of "tiebreak player" would hold here if one guy had 34 yds and the other 39 yards

Using anything else to determine "better" team I think would get you killed.

In our playoffs, we pick a tiebreaker player. If those players tie, the higher seeded team advances.

Thanks to all of the Input here! It was very helpful. I especially like the pick a game option by Daboz! We may have to put that in there.

What we ( me and the co commish) did was run a bunch of senarios, and in 90% of them the carson palmer owner won. So we gave him the nod. Then the owner playing against Carson Palmer goes....umm, Didn't he have a fumble? (fanball has this wrong, you may want to check your scores)

He ends up being correct, - 3 to Palmer's owner and the third place bowl. He had the best team, but ended up losing.

Sucks for CP owner, but the good news is I don't have to face LT! :D

Thanks for the help everyone!

Why does your involvement in the outcome make me uneasy? You and the co-commish ran scenarios...hmmm. Whatever happened to the coin flip or dice roll? Was it because you had a 50% chance of facing the LT owner?

How can you come up with secnarios at this point when you do not have them covered in the rules? The most fair way at this point, although no matter what you do this season will end with a bad taste, was the dice roll or coin flip.

You may be the commish but you directly benefitted from the scenarios you concocted and it it will not sit well with your league. Think twice about this, remove your personal interest, and to what is best for your league...

Edited by The Wolf

i dont think if seen a tie since decimal scoring???

There's the best solution right there. Not only does it make ties ten times less likely, it rewards every yard gained. It sucks to lose because you only get 16 points for 89 yards by two players when you should have 17.8.

I strongly disagree with this as it means the other team in the SB is basically facing TWO teams.

All academic at this point, but I don't agree with your objection here. In the previous two-team scenario that was suggested, it was unfair to the other team because thye were going to have to beat whichever of the two teams scored highest in week 16, meaning essentially they'd have to beat both teams. Completely unfair, as you and others pointed out.

But if the tiebreaker were whoever picks week 16's NFL games more correctly, than the other SB team has to beat that team and that team only, which may be the higher or lower scoring of the two for fantasy purposes.

Probably a silly way to break the tie, but not unfair to the other SB team as far as I can tell.

All academic at this point, but I don't agree with your objection here. In the previous two-team scenario that was suggested, it was unfair to the other team because thye were going to have to beat whichever of the two teams scored highest in week 16, meaning essentially they'd have to beat both teams. Completely unfair, as you and others pointed out.

But if the tiebreaker were whoever picks week 16's NFL games more correctly, than the other SB team has to beat that team and that team only, which may be the higher or lower scoring of the two for fantasy purposes.

Probably a silly way to break the tie, but not unfair to the other SB team as far as I can tell.

Yes I understand all that ... but I don't think it's fair to make the other team wait out which team fairs better picking NFL games. The tie should be resolved prior to next weeks games so that the other team knows who he is facing. Those owners that like to adjust their lineups according to whom their opponent is starting should have an opportunity to do so.

Those owners that like to adjust their lineups according to whom their opponent is starting should have an opportunity to do so.

:D You mean those that might start a WR who is catching their opponent's QB's throws? I thought such people were to be vilified and derided as not observing the stricture to "start the players who will score the most points"?