[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How is it the NBA has a image problem and the NFL doesn't?

FishFreak

I just don't get it. It's common place for people in general to refer to the NBA players as thugs yet fighting seems to be ok in all other major sports. When ever you have a lot of testosterone competing especially in physical sports altercations happen. It's just the way it is. And basketball is a physical sport. Don't believe me you non-athletic guys? Form a team and join a professional league usually thru your company and you'll see what I mean. 30 & 40 year old business men all of a sudden turn into animals!

But back to the NBA fighting. Everyone is making such a big deal about the latest throwdown and poor David Stern is getting migraines trying to clean things up after the Artest embarrasment. I just want to know how come the general public is ok with baseball brawls, pitchers throwing weapons at batters, hockey brawls, boxing, etc. ? And how can the NBA have a worse image than the NFL? Football players in the NFL is like Thug central! Forget the fact that I've always thoought the least of football players throughout my athletic days in high school and college but football players (for the most part) are jackazzes. And the NFL guys are constantly getting arrested, assaulting people, etc. I just don't get it, the NBA is getting such a bum rap.

There's no barrier between the fans and the players in the NBA. And these last couple of brawls have spilled into the stands. And remember when Rodman kicked the cameraman in the crotch? Or Antonio Davis went up into the stands because he thought his wife was in danger?

In football the "action" is on the field and primarily only involves the players themselves. At least when we're talking about actual game time and not what players do on their own time.

Edited by rebdog

I would argue this for a multitude of reasons, but the most importnat are :

1. Consider how violent football games are and how infrequently there are altercations, particulalrly in the NFL. NFL players have significantly greater respect for the game and its heratige. NBA players only care about getting fat, gauranteed contracts.

2. 40% of the NBA is under the age of 22. With a few exceptions, nonone in the NFL is this young. Being forced to go to school adds a layer of experience and maturity.

Don't get me wrong, NFL players are not boyscouts, but you can't have your premier players taking cheapshots at each other during a game.

1. Consider how violent football games are and how infrequently there are altercations, particulalrly in the NFL.

Add to this point that even when these guys fight on the field, they have pads and helmets on, so there is some layer of protection........You're not ever going to see punches to head between players.

And, when these guys have issues, it's off the field not in front of the camera's. The thugs in the NBA have these brawls right in front of the camera........... :D

Edited by Big Dogs

There's no barrier between the fans and the players in the NBA. And these last couple of brawls have spilled into the stands. And remember when Rodman kicked the cameraman in the crotch? Or Antonio Davis went up into the stands because he thought his wife was in danger?

In football the "action" is on the field and primarily only involves the players themselves. At least when we're talking about actual game time and not what players do on their own time.

+1 Could you imagine taking your 10 year old to a NBA game with court side seats and something like that happen in front of you. Maybe they need to put up a NASCAR restraining wall.

I just don't get it. It's common place for people in general to refer to the NBA players as thugs yet fighting seems to be ok in all other major sports.

I think the answer is that some act like thugs on and off the court and the media picks up on it more. In major league baseball, teams get into fights all the time. Benches clear, players throw punches and even chairs into the stands. But for some reason, baseball players are not seen as thugs in the light of the media. Why is this? I dont know, but all I can say is that I feel basketball players do this to themselves. Before the NBA dresscode, some players wore clothing that the media deems as "thuggish". Why do the clothes that someone wears makes them a thug is beyond me, but that is just how it is. I also agree with the point that most of these players are super young. However, most did go to school for atleast one year (Carmelo). LBJ came right out of highschool. So, who is the bigger thug? Lebron or Carmelo?

We should keep in mind that they will play 82 games a year, VS 16 in NFL. so in the NBA there will have more opportunities to get heated with an opponent, resulting into an altercation, 5 times more.

Another thing going for the NFL is that its the most popular sport, so you will have more people blindly defend it, while basketball will have a smaller fan base of blind supporters.

When ever NFL teams say they want character guys its crap. They want to win games, regardless of character. Character is a bonus, a luxury talent is the premium.

So if anybody has problems with thugs, crooks, criminals, cheaters and killers. Then they should not watch the NBA or the NFL.

And if you choose to watch understand that from time to time you will be pulling for a crook, criminal, cheater or killer.

Just read that AI was deal to Denver. Now he can join Melo and KMart in making this the biggest sh+tmagnet crew in professional sports today. With that aszhat Carl running the show to boot. LOL...so, there's your answer to the question raised in this post.

In the NFL, you have 1 bad egg, there are 21 other starters--and in a lot of cases, it's plug and play for the guy who gets the suspension. In the NBA, there are so many one man teams, that one Bozo becomes the face of the Franchise. So when he pulls an idiot move, it's almost like it's the whole team that pulls the move.

Just read that AI was deal to Denver. Now he can join Melo and KMart in making this the biggest sh+tmagnet crew in professional sports today. With that aszhat Carl running the show to boot. LOL...so, there's your answer to the question raised in this post.

In the NFL, you have 1 bad egg, there are 21 other starters--and in a lot of cases, it's plug and play for the guy who gets the suspension. In the NBA, there are so many one man teams, that one Bozo becomes the face of the Franchise. So when he pulls an idiot move, it's almost like it's the whole team that pulls the move.

there's the confusion right there. AI may look the part...and he obviously isn't a huge fan of practice.....but at least in his professional life i wouldn't qualify him as a thug. He wanted to be a Sixer for his entire career and until now never wanted to be traded. Plus he epitomizes effort on the court like no one else.

You want to know what a thug is, check out Ray Lewis (ever hear this guy speak?...its all about himself), or maybe Chris Henry, or let's not forget Rae Carruth.

Becaues in the NBA you can actually see thier cornrows.

Good point, you cannot actually see NFL players faces for the most part. I think Warren Sapp was ranting about this a couple years back. He said the NFL hurts the promotion of individual players because they are stuck behind the helmet. I see his point but I dont know how that can be changed.

I agree- for one, and it falls in line with the nature of the sport- the NFL has far more thugs and criminals that the NBA- I mean, come on, Rae Carruth, Ray Lewis, Tank Johnson, etc. It is not even close, but the NBA is the most visible, rock star-like sport on the planet so they get a bad rap IMO.

Throwing the NFL, and hockey out of the equation - I don't think they are applicable since hockey and football are physical more violent sports played with pads, etc.

Now, when it comes to baseball- I think it really has to do with race, and this has been brought up by some others, I do not see any other way it makes sense to me. A guy charges the mound, punches are thrown, etc, and it is cute, funny, and part of the game, and while they may show it over and over on SC- no one really cares, or thinks there is an image problem. The NBA, and due in part to these guys being stars and in shorts, they throw a few girlie punhces and everyone freaks out, thugs, gangsters, etc. I never use the race card, but I think their definitely is some bias at play here.

I love the NFL, and NBA- but on a celebrity, rock-star like, world-wide status, NBA stars are light years ahead of the NFL- it ain't even close. So, I think the close, personal feel of the game, and how well known these guys are- fights become a bigger deal.

I love the NFL, and NBA- but on a celebrity, rock-star like, world-wide status, NBA stars are light years ahead of the NFL- it ain't even close. So, I think the close, personal feel of the game, and how well known these guys are- fights become a bigger deal.

You are way off base here. You think Shaq is a bigger star than Peyton? I think it boils down to management. Blame David Stern and crappy shoes from spammers for hanging thier brand names on stars like Iverson, Kobe and Artest. While the NFL rewards its upstanding players for thier good behavior (see: TO not in the Pro Bowl and Romo not even in the HoF discussion). Although I do see a positive trend in the character of the NBA. The most recent wave of stars are for the most part humble team-first guys (Wade, LeBron and up till this week, Mello).

I agree- for one, and it falls in line with the nature of the sport- the NFL has far more thugs and criminals that the NBA- I mean, come on, Rae Carruth, Ray Lewis, Tank Johnson, etc. It is not even close, but the NBA is the most visible, rock star-like sport on the planet so they get a bad rap IMO.

Throwing the NFL, and hockey out of the equation - I don't think they are applicable since hockey and football are physical more violent sports played with pads, etc.

Now, when it comes to baseball- I think it really has to do with race, and this has been brought up by some others, I do not see any other way it makes sense to me. A guy charges the mound, punches are thrown, etc, and it is cute, funny, and part of the game, and while they may show it over and over on SC- no one really cares, or thinks there is an image problem. The NBA, and due in part to these guys being stars and in shorts, they throw a few girlie punhces and everyone freaks out, thugs, gangsters, etc. I never use the race card, but I think their definitely is some bias at play here.

Nice points and I agree completely. Race is obviously a factor in other sports but it doesn't really explain

how the NFL's image gets a pass. Is it that the general public thinks so little of most football players that their behaviors on and off the field are expected and some how acceptable? If that is the case, maybe we should all take a harder look in the mirror and start thinking about who we cheer for on Sundays.

i agree some others who mentioned age/maturity. i also believe it has something to do with the demographics. basketball can be played with as few as 2 people...very accessible by all strata. a lot of talent and demeanor comes from the streets..... with it, a lack of professionalism and composure.... i think in other sports, there is a certain respect for statesmen and history of the game and these older players do a decent job of mentoring (in general).. a good example of that not working was SF.. neither Rice nor any other prominant vet could get through to TO... just imagine what he or moss could have done with better attitudes. in baksetball i think there is a general disregard for anyone who might hold some authority (we often don't see the player go, rahter the coach).

also consider pure number of players. nba teams have smaller rosters..... so i see it as being a higher percentage of occurances per player. i don't like seeing it in any sport, including in hockey.... not good for any of them. i used to be a big fan of the game.... different era and different type of player today.... i can't stand to watch nba anymore.

I think it is a general reaction to the fact the NBA game is not as team-centric as it once was. The emphasis now seems to be on only physical skills, and basketball fundamentals have gone the way of the dinosaur. Today's game IS much more thuggish than that played in the past. The Bil Lambeer's of the world have taken over what was a beautiful sport. I can't stand to watch it now. And from the decreasing attendance, I would think I am not alone.

It sickens me the way it is beginning to affect the college game, as well.

The NBA passed a salray cap years ago but players still got $100 million contracts. The NFL is the only league that has been standing up for principles.

That and NBA players don't wear helmets.

College basketball is more of a PURE SPORT. The NBA refs give veterans preferable calls and isn't a very fair league.

I just want to know how come the general public is ok with baseball brawls, pitchers throwing weapons at batters, hockey brawls, boxing, etc. ?

Yeah what's up w/a fight breaking out in boxing?

:D

I think they should take it a step further and let street gangs own teams. That way you could ENCOURAGE more fighting, not DIScourage it. Maybe each quarter one team gets weapons, the other doesn't or something like that. Encourage audience participation too.

Settle differences on the court instead of on the streets. Could be a great crime prevention thing. yom sayn?