[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How is it the NBA has a image problem and the NFL doesn't?

FishFreak

You are way off base here. You think Shaq is a bigger star than Peyton? I think it boils down to management. Blame David Stern and crappy shoes from spammers for hanging thier brand names on stars like Iverson, Kobe and Artest. While the NFL rewards its upstanding players for thier good behavior (see: TO not in the Pro Bowl and Romo not even in the HoF discussion). Although I do see a positive trend in the character of the NBA. The most recent wave of stars are for the most part humble team-first guys (Wade, LeBron and up till this week, Mello).

Seriously?? The NFL is a great product, but as for star-like status, and world-wide recognition the NFL is not even close to the NBA, for a variety of reasons, obviuosly. I love em both, and the NBA has lost some fans, no doubt- but is still an incredible sport, and I love it. I am hoping this new wave of superstars really improves upon a great game.

And yes, Shaq, Lebron, Kobe, all are much bigger stars than Peyton Manning- you can't be serious???

The NBA passed a salray cap years ago but players still got $100 million contracts. The NFL is the only league that has been standing up for principles.

Well the NBA has a soft cap while the NFL has a hard cap. Both leagues are following what they agreed on.

The NBA is real confusing when it comes to doing trades, because of things like, Mid-level exceptions, $1 million exceptions, Rookie exceptions, Larry Bird exceptions, Early Bird exceptions, Non-Bird exceptions, and many, many more.

The best thing about the soft cap, it allows teams to keep fan favorites to stay. A lot of older fans (most huddlers) miss the old days when players played for the same team their whole career. So if your one of those fans then don’t complain about the NBA cap, because that is what its for.

And the NFL cap really is not a hard cap, because of the signing bonus; they prorated them for the duration of the deal. But that is just one exception unlike the NBA’s 93834293.334534 exceptions.

There is a multitude of reasons......

1) People can associate better with football players because they dont have the guaranteed contract, they can have a bad couple weeks and be fired... just like everyone else

2) The thuggery in the NBA is right in your face... look at the tattoos on the basketball court... over half these guys have their arms filled with them (Im sure they have them in the NFL also, but you can't see them)

3) The NBA promotes individual players so therefore their personal behavior is taken into account whereas the NFL promotes teams

4) You can easily say in a lot of sports that today the greatest to play the games are in the sport, LT best running back, Tiger Woods best golfer, Peyton Manning best QB, the same goes for baseball... Bonds chasing Aaron, Clemens....etc but in basketball no one looks up to these guys in the sense that people looked up to Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson

Just my perspective

And yes, Shaq, Lebron, Kobe, all are much bigger stars than Peyton Manning- you can't be serious???

No kidding. Outside the USA, Peyton, CJ, LT and all the rest are nobodies. Shaq, Kobe et al are megastars in Europe, most of South America and Asia, probably second only to soccer stars.

i agree some others who mentioned age/maturity. i also believe it has something to do with the demographics. basketball can be played with as few as 2 people...very accessible by all strata. a lot of talent and demeanor comes from the streets..... with it, a lack of professionalism and composure.... i think in other sports, there is a certain respect for statesmen and history of the game and these older players do a decent job of mentoring (in general).. a good example of that not working was SF.. neither Rice nor any other prominant vet could get through to TO... just imagine what he or moss could have done with better attitudes. in baksetball i think there is a general disregard for anyone who might hold some authority (we often don't see the player go, rahter the coach).

also consider pure number of players. nba teams have smaller rosters..... so i see it as being a higher percentage of occurances per player. i don't like seeing it in any sport, including in hockey.... not good for any of them. i used to be a big fan of the game.... different era and different type of player today.... i can't stand to watch nba anymore.

Probably because the idiot/player ratio is higher in the NBA than in the NFL. (The total number of idiots in the NFL is probably higher than the number of idiots in the NBA, but they represent a smaller proportion of the overall number of players.)

i agree with the height-challenged economist

No kidding. Outside the USA, Peyton, CJ, LT and all the rest are nobodies. Shaq, Kobe et al are megastars in Europe, most of South America and Asia, probably second only to soccer stars.

I think I saw a poll on Americans favorite athletes earlier this year, and Brent Favre was the only NFL player in the top 10.

Probably because the idiot/player ratio is higher in the NBA than in the NFL. (The total number of idiots in the NFL is probably higher than the number of idiots in the NBA, but they represent a smaller proportion of the overall number of players.)

Given 15 man squads in the 30 teams of the NBA, there are 450 NBA players in total.

Given 53 man squads in the 32 teams of the NFL, there are 1,696 NFL players in total.

Therefore, one arrest in the NBA = 3.769 arrests in the NFL.

:D

I heard on the radio and agree that the big difference is that the NBA actively markets the league by highlighting players while the NFL actively markets their league by highlighting teams.

Yes there are star players in the NFL(Peyton, TO, Vick, etc.) but the average fan watches a game to watch teams play each other. Washington/Dallas, NYG/NYJ, San Fran/Oakland, these are games people watch because of the TEAMS involved, not the players. So your connection is with a team, not an individual.

In the NBA you watch a game to see Shaq, Kobe, or Wade play. There just isn't the focus on team matchups like the NFL. You focus much more on players. Part of that is the high number of games but it is also a conscious decision by the league in marketing.

So when a player messes up in the NBA it has a larger impact than in the NFL. Look at Albert Haynesworth, whose action was without a doubt more vicious than the Nuggets/Knicks brawl. But it had nowhere near the impact in the media and the league that the brawl has.

With that aszhat Carl running the show to boot. LOL...so, there's your answer to the question raised in this post.

George Karl is one of the upmost forefront coaches in all of professional sports. I've met him on 2 occasions and drank no less than 6 beers with him while talking about basketball. The guy is the furthest thing from an aszhat that I've every met in professional sports.

The NBA players got a hand they can't win. The whole league had such a "good guy image" for so long that nobody in today's world, athlete or not, could stand up to it. A lot of the old guard feels very let down to have seen the character in the league drop so dramatically. These people don't understand that it is just a different world that these kids are coming up in. I absolutely love the game, and the young superstars seem to be a lot more team oriented than those of the immediate post-Jordan era.

Football gets a free pass. Football has always had pissed off psychos, as Frosty always melts in spring. We watch knowing full well they are pissed off psychos and therefore aren't surprised or disappointed when they act like it off the field.

Edited by Seahawks21