[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's next, Lipstick and Mini Skirts?

Cowboyz1

I was watching LT, TO, R. lewis, D. Hall, H. Ward and I just lose all respect and can't take them seriously. I mean how do you stand in front of the world’s businessmen, media and children looking like that? I don't know what the world is coming to. Who started this earrings in both ears crap. It looks so friken ridiculous. I have my theory about this horrible trend. Here goes.

Guys are so desperate to show off how much money they have, they're willing to give up their man card and trade it in for "look at me fellas, I made it" bling. Or, maybe they just want to look pretty, like women gazing in the mirror admiring how pretty their new earings look on them. What happened to men looking like men? I mean where and when did it become ok for a grown man to walk on a football field wearing earrings? In my opinion, they make themselves look like fools. It's embarrassing. Act like you have a pair for crying out loud. What goes through a guy’s mind that would make him walk into a jewelry store and pick out two rocks to put in his own ears? I mean I am really trying to understand this because it bothers the hell out of me to watch all these guys in interviews looking like cheerleaders in drag. It's sick, I mean sick. What is wrong with them?

It has got to be a self esteem issue or one upsmanship crap. These guys have got to understand how stupid they look, don't they. Seriously, if I meet a guy with two earrings in his ears, I immediately look at him differently and if it's business my trust level goes down automatically because he must not be very good with money.

Please someone explain this to me as it is driving me crazy. Reminds me of that stupid big gold chain fad started with Mr. T. When are these people going to learn that there is a lot more to being a man then showing off how much your worth. When are they going to learn?

I'm just disgusted over this. Am I alone? What gives?

Edited by Cowboyz1

Did you know pirates used to wear gold earrings so that their shipmates had something to use for burial costs if they were killed in battle? :D

Just thought I'd throw that one out there. Has nothing to do with the subject at hand. :D

While I'm no fan of the double earring thing, I think you are being swayed too much by society. Men wore lipstick, dresses, wigs, earrings and the like before women ever did. Society changed, though, and they were no longer en-vougue.

Why does what someone else wears bother you so much? Because you have been conditioned. Relax, take a deep breath and live your life the way you want to and let others do the same.

While I'm no fan of the double earring thing, I think you are being swayed too much by society. Men wore lipstick, dresses, wigs, earrings and the like before women ever did. Society changed, though, and they were no longer en-vougue.

Why does what someone else wears bother you so much? Because you have been conditioned. Relax, take a deep breath and live your life the way you want to and let others do the same.

:D

well he is a cowboy fan so the intelligence factor comes into play .

I gotta admit, I feel much the same way as Cowboy, but not as strongly. I'm a teacher and had this debate with some students 2 days ago......regarding tongue and belly button piercings. If I were to interview a kid for a job with a tongue "adornment", that kid would REALLY have to impress me to get hired and would also have to agree not to wear it on the J-O-B.

I don't get it, why would someone go through the pain just to take a chance of getting a bacterial infection, that could in fact not only kill (look up MRSA in case you doubt me) or lose the tongue??? Go ahead Pop Culture Kid, play russian roulette w/your life/health!

Thank God my oldest (17) doesn't have a desire, NOR the lack of confidence in himself, to feel the need to go that route.

You make a lot of sense. However, what if what someone else is doing effects you. Here is a fact, an unfortunate one but a fact nonetheless. Everyone, no exceptions, everyone has a responsibility to set good examples for our kids, the rest of his or her race and gender, especially minorities, women included. Why separate yourself more then you already are? When a group of people set a stigma or trend that bring about negative thoughts, it affects more then just that person, it affects the whole group of people. Just like the above guy said, I would have a tough time hiring a person who comes to an interview with a ring in their tongue or a man with earrings in his ear. But professional athletes don't think twice about doing it on national TV or interviews. It sends a message and makes me wonder what their thinking. You don't see Coaches, CEO's, Owners, Bankers, or any other professionals in high paying, high profile jobs doing it. So when Ward or Lewis or Hall, wonder why they aren't taken seriously for coaching jobs or positions in the front office after their football careers are over, they can look back and see that they set themselves up to be labeled unprofessional street kids. If I were hiring, I don't want to ask myself if the guy is going to get pissed if I tell him he can't wear his earrings any longer if he wants to work for me. Moreover, is it going to become a problem if I do hire him and he forgets one day and embarrasses my organization. Basically, employers just chose to not take the chance at all, and hire someone that looks the way I want my company to be represented.

People have the right to do anything they want to but they have to also realize that there are consequences to their choices that affect everyone by association. You dress Goth you automatically get labeled weird or evil. You dress with your pants hanging off your butt; you get labeled stupid, lazy, broke, and thuggish. Tattoos up and down the arms, possible prison time etc. You just limit your options by doing things against the grain or bringing unnecessary question marks to yourself, gender or race. I mean, first impressions are very important and I personally don't see how displaying questionable appearances in high visibility positions helps the fellow behind him get the benefit of the doubt.

Ear rings on grown men are sometimes like Mullets....out of style. I see "older" men around work walking around with long hair and ear rings thinking(I presume) it makes them look younger or something.

However, I don't think it looks too bad for an athlete to wear 20k+ on their ears. If you got it, show it. No loops or dangling stuff please....but that's just my opinion.

In fact, an ear ring on a guy can look almost half as silly as a Bluetooth headset in a crowded bar!!! Now that is jewelry and you just don't know it. "Uh..hang on I gotta an important call....Quiet everyone!!!"

Edited by Sharpie

I gotta admit, I feel much the same way as Cowboy, but not as strongly. I'm a teacher and had this debate with some students 2 days ago......regarding tongue and belly button piercings. If I were to interview a kid for a job with a tongue "adornment", that kid would REALLY have to impress me to get hired and would also have to agree not to wear it on the J-O-B.

I don't get it, why would someone go through the pain just to take a chance of getting a bacterial infection, that could in fact not only kill (look up MRSA in case you doubt me) or lose the tongue??? Go ahead Pop Culture Kid, play russian roulette w/your life/health!

Thank God my oldest (17) doesn't have a desire, NOR the lack of confidence in himself, to feel the need to go that route.

LOL wow. i really don't associate piercings with lack of confidence in oneself. sorry. i know people with piercings who are asses and i know people with zero piercings who are asses. I'm sorry, but just because you may have zero piercings, I'm not going to think you're the most amazing person ever based on that, and vice versa for people with piercings. Because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. It's not even something to 'understand'. I got my labret pierced a few years ago, have had two different jobs since, am allowed to wear it at both workplaces I've been at, and although customers may ask me about it, they really have never based their opinions of me on it, and even once they got to know me a little bit, truly like me and really don't care at all. It's not a route, it's not something to understand, it's not some societal movement, it's just something some people like, and some people don't. Just the same with tattoos or whatever else. I don't understand why some of the "older" generations can't just handle the times changing. People like different things, people have done different things for years and years, and still even to this day there are a ton of others who just can't accept anything less than straightlace.

You make a lot of sense. However, what if what someone else is doing effects you. Here is a fact, an unfortunate one but a fact nonetheless. Everyone, no exceptions, everyone has a responsibility to set good examples for our kids, the rest of his or her race and gender, especially minorities, women included. Why separate yourself more then you already are? When a group of people set a stigma or trend that bring about negative thoughts, it affects more then just that person, it affects the whole group of people. Just like the above guy said, I would have a tough time hiring a person who comes to an interview with a ring in their tongue or a man with earrings in his ear. But professional athletes don't think twice about doing it on national TV or interviews. It sends a message and makes me wonder what their thinking. You don't see Coaches, CEO's, Owners, Bankers, or any other professionals in high paying, high profile jobs doing it. So when Ward or Lewis or Hall, wonder why they aren't taken seriously for coaching jobs or positions in the front office after their football careers are over, they can look back and see that they set themselves up to be labeled unprofessional street kids. If I were hiring, I don't want to ask myself if the guy is going to get pissed if I tell him he can't wear his earrings any longer if he wants to work for me. Moreover, is it going to become a problem if I do hire him and he forgets one day and embarrasses my organization. Basically, employers just chose to not take the chance at all, and hire someone that looks the way I want my company to be represented.

People have the right to do anything they want to but they have to also realize that there are consequences to their choices that affect everyone by association. You dress Goth you automatically get labeled weird or evil. You dress with your pants hanging off your butt; you get labeled stupid, lazy, broke, and thuggish. Tattoos up and down the arms, possible prison time etc. You just limit your options by doing things against the grain or bringing unnecessary question marks to yourself, gender or race. I mean, first impressions are very important and I personally don't see how displaying questionable appearances in high visibility positions helps the fellow behind him get the benefit of the doubt.

you're right, anybody with piercings/tattoos/etc DOES get labeled and suffers whatever consequences they may get, BUT there are a lot of guys with tattoos and piercings who are VERY smart, VERY educated, VERY good workers, and make a lot of money. Just as you may pass on a guy who IS infact lazy and he has piercings/tattoos, you may also pass on a guy who would infact be the BEST possible hire for you as a worker, simply because he has piercings/tattoos. What's to say a guy with no body mods won't be a jerk, or commit any type of crime to his own employer?

Edited by Akfatha

Did you know pirates used to wear gold earrings so that their shipmates had something to use for burial costs if they were killed in battle? :D

Just thought I'd throw that one out there. Has nothing to do with the subject at hand. :D

How much does it cost to throw some rocks in a guy's pockets and throw him overboard?

you're right, anybody with piercings/tattoos/etc DOES get labeled and suffers whatever consequences they may get, BUT there are a lot of guys with tattoos and piercings who are VERY smart, VERY educated, VERY good workers, and make a lot of money. Just as you may pass on a guy who IS infact lazy and he has piercings/tattoos, you may also pass on a guy who would infact be the BEST possible hire for you as a worker, simply because he has piercings/tattoos. What's to say a guy with no body mods won't be a jerk, or commit any type of crime to his own employer?

I agree with you that they very well could be Very smart, Very educated and Very good workers. However, would you take the chance 10 out of 10 times or would you just default to going with someone else and avoid the risk that is associated with someone going out of their way to be different. How smart is it to limit yourself to be considered by only Very open minded employers.

The whole idea that someone with a tattoo or piercing is any different than an average worker is assanine and betrays a serious defect in the person thinking in that manner.

Different is not good. Different is not bad. Different is different.

true but those that like to look and act all the same cant understand it