[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MJD = ROY?

DMD

Hmmm, why is this even a discusion?

895 rushing yards and 12 tds

420 catching yards and 2 tds

kickoff return for td, while averaging 27.6 yards a return.

MJD is the rookie of the year, and Yound and Colston can battle it out for 2nd.

The award is Rookie of the Year, not Most Valuable Rookie, or Most Surprising Rookie. The fact that Colston was a 7th Round pick is irrelevant. The fact that VY is a National Championship Winner, et al, and the team wins a lot, does not mean he is the BEST rookie. (see Tenn vs Jax, week 15). And VY's passer rating this season? 69.8. If you want to give the ROY to a QB, try Jay Cutler and his 89.8 rating and 2 tds in his first four NFL starts.

I'll disagree with the notion that his returns can be discounted because the games were somehow already out of hand. Not only is that not true, but if it were easy to take returns to the house, then the career record would be a little higher than 14. Here's a quick reminder.

Pulled from recaps:

Wk 1 - The Bears scored their second touchdown on an 84-yard punt return by Devin Hester, giving the Bears a 26-0 lead early in the fourth quarter.

Wk 6 - Down 20-0 at halftime, Chicago returned two fumbles for touchdowns in the second half. Then Hester returned a punt 83 yards for a score with 2:58 remaining to take the lead.

Wk 10 - Hester fooled the Giants by standing in the back of the end zone for several seconds, then ran down the right sideline on his knockout-blow return as the Bears rallied for a 38-20 victory over the injury-ravaged Giants in their NFC showdown. (score was 24-20 when he made that return)

Wk 13 - Hester tied an NFL record with his fourth touchdown return in the 1st quarter (their first score of a 23-13 win)

Wk 14 - he set an NFL record with his fifth and sixth returns for touchdowns this season, a 94-yard kickoff runback in the second quarter and a 96-yarder in the final period.

So I'd say only the Week 1 TD was in a "meaningless" scenario, and only if you discount the fact that it was the second TD of the day, and after that the rout was on.

I'll also disagree about rookies every season doing what MJD and Colston are doing. You'd have to go back to Edge's (2100/17 in 1999) or Fred Taylor's rookie year (1650/17 in 1998) to get something that dwarfs what MJD has done, and Chris Chambers season is the only applicable comparison, and even then he was a 3rd rounder, not 7th, and you cannot compare Colston to Randy Moss' acchievements when Moss came out highly touted, and Colston came out of nowhere. What they're doing is equally special, and are in rare air for players who weren't top ten picks.

Between them, Hester, VY it's as deep a class as any. VY is flat out crazy, and in Tennessee he's going to flourish.

I've had my eye on the Bears closely ever since the Hawks got blown out. They would have won all of those games but two very easily. The Rams??? Come on. The Bears won by 15. You can't tell me the Rams would've held them to 15 fewer points had Hester not done it so quickly. The guy is ridiculous, but his resume just isn't thick enough.

Colston's season was better than Anquan Boldin and Michael Clayton?

Vince Young is a quarterback. You could count on one hand the QB's in the history of the NFL could have done with this team what he did in their rookie season.

I watch every Titan game, although I have only gone to a couple at LP Field this year. This was an 0-5 team on the fast track to Detroit Lions Land. And then a strange thing happened: Vince Young! He has completely turned this team around and they are now 8-7. They arent going to make the playoffs this year, but they are definitely on the come. VY was the entire reason. He is by far the ROY and nobody else is even a close 2nd. Have you guys spouting off names like Hester, Colston, and Drew even seen VY play? Have you seen the comebacks? The touchdowns? The absolute miracles? If not, grab a seat and watch this kid for an entire game and you will realize that he is ROY. He has carried this team on a winning streak that almost led to the playoffs. He is your ROY without any doubt whatsoever.

I've had my eye on the Bears closely ever since the Hawks got blown out. They would have won all of those games but two very easily. The Rams??? Come on. The Bears won by 15. You can't tell me the Rams would've held them to 15 fewer points had Hester not done it so quickly. The guy is ridiculous, but his resume just isn't thick enough.

Colston's season was better than Anquan Boldin and Michael Clayton?

Vince Young is a quarterback. You could count on one hand the QB's in the history of the NFL could have done with this team what he did in their rookie season.

I think the competition is thick this year, thicker than ever. Colston missed 3 weeks and still put up numbers comparable to Boldin and Clayotn (better examples than mine).

Spain - I'm a UT grad, and saw VY beat Michigan personally in the Rose Bowl, then watched him do it again (watched it on TV thus time) to USC, so I am VERY clear on what VY can do. He's got MVP's coming to him. Get that guy a real WR!!!!

The award is Rookie of the Year, not Most Valuable Rookie, or Most Surprising Rookie. The fact that Colston was a 7th Round pick is irrelevant. The fact that VY is a National Championship Winner, et al, and the team wins a lot, does not mean he is the BEST rookie. (see Tenn vs Jax, week 15). And VY's passer rating this season? 69.8. If you want to give the ROY to a QB, try Jay Cutler and his 89.8 rating and 2 tds in his first four NFL starts.

You are correct- why is this even a discussion? VY in a runaway. Are you kidding with this.... Cutler? and this BS- the NFL is about winning football games- Drew has nice numbers, and Jax stinks. Tenn is FINISHING strong, and VY is the driving force, pulling these games out eac and every week. Believe me, I was a VY hater, but this guy is incredible, and you can't deny what he is doing foe Tenn. He wins, period, and he is doing it running and throwing the ball.

The Tenn turnaround is incredible- they were being mentioned as one of the worst teams in football pre-VY,

he will and should win the award going away.

+1

VY is not responsible on his own for team winning. Anyone who thinks that needs to pull something out of the other end. That is not to say that he doesn't have leadership skills or athleticism (sp?), but one guy doesn't make a team and the Titans D has been a hugh help to their recent winning ways. Also he's a rookie starting QB and his numbers are rather unimpressive. VY has less passing yards then Plummer, a 1:1 TD:Int Ratio, and a ridiculously low rating. That is not an Excellent Rookie year, that an average year for a rookie QB. Gotta go with Drew.

IMO...

D'Brick Ferguson is the ROY in my eyes..to me he was the ROY while Colston was putting up stats..and he is still with MJD putting up big stats.

I would go ...

1.Ferguson

2.MJD

3. Bush

4.Ryans

Ferguson is THE biggest reason that offense has improved with Pennington being back being the 2nd best thing. now the team can run and pass.if I am a Jet fan I would be getting disgusted how is name is never even mentioned.

IMO...

D'Brick Ferguson is the ROY in my eyes..to me he was the ROY while Colston was putting up stats..and he is still with MJD putting up big stats.

I would go ...

1.Ferguson

2.MJD

3. Bush

4.Ryans

Ferguson is THE biggest reason that offense has improved with Pennington being back being the 2nd best thing. now the team can run and pass.if I am a Jet fan I would be getting disgusted how is name is never even mentioned.

Doc-get real, in this year of some incredible offensive performances by VY,MJD,Colston, Bush - you are gonna throw in D'Brick :D cmon- even if he did deserve it, a D has as much of a chance as the Lions making the postseason.

VY not in your top 4? ridiculous. This ain't baseball- MJD has nice stats- the NFL, football is about winning football games- VY has turned this team around completely, and I was the biggest VY doubter around.

Cannot believe VY gettin no respek.... Doin this as a rookie QB??? flat out unreal. The most difficult position to grasp, and play, and VY GETS IT in just half a season. Remarkable.

Chris Chambers season is the only applicable comparison to Colston, and even then he was a 3rd rounder, not 7th, and you cannot compare Colston to Randy Moss' acchievements when Moss came out highly touted, and Colston came out of nowhere. What they're doing is equally special, and are in rare air for players who weren't top ten picks.

Eh, given that even GMs will admit that the draft is at times a crap shoot, I don't know that draft position is really a consideration - once you snap up the chinstraps, the NFL is for the most part a meritocracy.

And I'd probably put him in with Anquan Boldin as far as rookie production goes, especially when you figure in the coupla games Colston missed.

Let's put these numbers in perspective - if Bush had done this through 15 games, do you think ANYONE else would have a shot at RotY? :D

(answer: if you do, you need a dose of reality).

I say MJD has the best, most consistent production. Colston has been impressive, but I think the whole Colston/Bush for RotY, Brees for MVP, Payton for Coach of the Year indicate that there is a LOT of credit to be spread around (deservedly so) for the Saints turnaround. Vince Young certainly has a case.

I'd put it:

1)MJD

2)VY

3)Hester (haven't mentioned him, but 6 return tds is insane! Still, I kind of regard RotY as an award for "most promising" as much as for "best year by a rookie", and Hester still doesn't have a position; tough to give a major award to Mel Gray, y'know?)

4)Colston

...but I have to agree that VY probably ends up with the award for the above reasons - QB, turned the team around midseason, etc etc.

IN fantasy terms, I think Jones-Drew should be ROY though Colston is very, very close.

In NFL terms, I cannot imagine Vince Young not getting it. What he has done with a thoroughly lackluster team has been nothing short of amazing. Without Young, the Titans would not be looking at a possbile wildcard, they would probably be spoken of in the same sentence as the Raiders and Buccaneers. Young has made a profound difference on his team.

In NFL terms, I cannot imagine Vince Young not getting it. What he has done with a thoroughly lackluster team has been nothing short of amazing. Without Young, the Titans would not be looking at a possbile wildcard, they would probably be spoken of in the same sentence as the Raiders and Buccaneers. Young has made a profound difference on his team.

Well, let's put it this way - Young is a HUGE upgrade over Kerry Collins. Heck, DMD is probably a huge upgrade at QB over Collins.

But how good would the Titans have been with McNair?

(actually, to answer my own question, with comparable defensive rankings and pretty similar offensive personnell, they were 4-12 last year)

IN fantasy terms, I think Jones-Drew should be ROY though Colston is very, very close.

Yep and defensively, no matter how you look at it, DeMeco Ryans wins it.

defensively, no matter how you look at it, DeMeco Ryans wins it.

I'd have no problem with that, and a look at guys like AJ Hawk and Ernie Sims indicates that this was pretty much a VERY deep draft class all around.

Let's put these numbers in perspective - if Bush had done this through 15 games, do you think ANYONE else would have a shot at RotY? :D

(answer: if you do, you need a dose of reality).

I say MJD has the best, most consistent production. Colston has been impressive, but I think the whole Colston/Bush for RotY, Brees for MVP, Payton for Coach of the Year indicate that there is a LOT of credit to be spread around (deservedly so) for the Saints turnaround. Vince Young certainly has a case.

I'd put it:

1)MJD

2)VY

3)Hester (haven't mentioned him, but 6 return tds is insane! Still, I kind of regard RotY as an award for "most promising" as much as for "best year by a rookie", and Hester still doesn't have a position; tough to give a major award to Mel Gray, y'know?)

4)Colston

...but I have to agree that VY probably ends up with the award for the above reasons - QB, turned the team around midseason, etc etc.

That's exactly my point. Look at what he's done. 895 yards rushing, 5.8 ypc, 12 tds, 42 catches, 420 yards and 2 more tds, 718 KR yards, 27.6 yds per kick return, with 1 more td.

If the name next to those stats was Reggie Bush, this thread would never have even been started. Cadillac won the award last year with 1259 combined yards and 6 tds!!

And when Roethlisbeger won the award, and went 13-0, his completion percentage was 66.4. VY is completing 52% of his passes and has gone 8-4 as a starter. There's no comparison there.

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!