[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My most unbelievable season in 17 years...

DMD

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings, DMD. I am the owner of the team that was edged for the title. When I noticed your emai was @ the huddle, I thought I would post here my congratulations. It was enjoyable matching wits with you even though I came up short.

As DMD posted, I was up 9+ points going into Monday and I had 3 players and he had 1. It just goes to show you it is never over until it is over. I am disappointed, but I tip my hat to DMD for pulling all the right moves and winning the title.

Congrats again DMD and enjoy your title and your winnings. You earned it.

What a stand-up guy. :D

Just amazing all around. I kept telling my wife that I've never felt so excited and yet a bit guilty about something since the time in high school when I was dating this girl and she ... well... Let's just say that I was both excited for me and a tinge heartbroken for you.

That must have been some rush watching the final seconds.. tick,tick, tick away.. WINNER!!!

Congrats!!!!! 10 large :D:D

Yes, it was. I still had hope with the score tied 10-10. It is a ppr league, so one catch by Coles would still have given me the victory. But then the Jets broke that screen pass for a long gain setting them up in FG range. Yes, I was yelling at the screen "Tackle him, tackle him!!!!!!". They did, but not until too late. Well, at least for me. :bash:

Yes, it was. I still had hope with the score tied 10-10. It is a ppr league, so one catch by Coles would still have given me the victory. But then the Jets broke that screen pass for a long gain setting them up in FG range. Yes, I was yelling at the screen "Tackle him, tackle him!!!!!!". They did, but not until too late. Well, at least for me. :D

That final drive had me on edge as well. I had called Whitney to tell him I was up by 0.44 points and I just knew Coles was going to get a pass as the normal "go-to" player there. I was just hoping that Cotchery could match whatever Coles would do. They threw twice to Cotchery in the endzone without scoring before and he had several very close incompletes already. When Washington broke free I was shouting "SCORE YOU BASTARD! RUN! RUN!"

He got to like the 20 yard line and all I could do was keep repeating "they got to just run it. They HAVE to just run it now. They HAVE TO JUST RUN IT NOW!"

Man.... what a way to win. I thought I had a chance when Reggie Bush started the day out with almost nothing but he got it in gear in the second half and Marc Bulger went nuts against the Skins. I would have bet major cash that I would not have pulled that one out.

I wonder what would happen if the Elias sports bureau made a critical stats change in the middle of this week...

:whistleswhileslowlywalkingaway:

Trust me, that is very much in my mind.

It's happened before but a change would have to be something like calling a catch not a catch. I watched every play on Monday and it all seems in order but you never know...

But the way I won my league and now, apparently, this just all seemed like destiny the way it happened. Unbelievable.

Trust me, that is very much in my mind.

It's happened before but a change would have to be something like calling a catch not a catch. I watched every play on Monday and it all seems in order but you never know...

But the way I won my league and now, apparently, this just all seemed like destiny the way it happened. Unbelievable.

I agree. I watched both games very closely, and I saw nothing remotely questionable that would affect the scoring. I would need to gain 5 yards or a catch. There is no way they will rule a catch now that was not done in the game. I saw nothing that even a yard would be in question much less five.

Since we are sharing, you know the real dagger for me? In the Dallas game, Dallas had 2nd & goal from the 1. I had Marion Barber III, and they gave it to him 3 straight times. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I didn't take that as a good omen.

ETA: I agree. It definitely seems like destiny.

Edited by Squirrel

Okay, so I know everyone think self-aggrandizing or "woe is me" tales of leagues are dime a dozen, after playing FF since 1990 I have just concluded the most incredible season I have ever had.

There is the FF Championship of Texas each year that is held in Dallas. I went there for the first time and they have a "training camp" before the draft where I was one of the speakers (along with Gil Brandt wearing a Super bowl ring but I digress). Anyway, it is sort of like WCOFF in that 16 leagues (184 teams) all compete for 11 weeks, then week 12 is the league championship, then weeks 13-16 are the playoffs for the top 60 or so teams from all the leagues.

I thought I had a great draft - first picks were LT, Chad Johnson, Gates and then Gore.

And then I went 1-3 in the first 4 weeks after losing one game by 2 points and getting blown out two weeks.

I was getting a little desperate to win since I was a speaker before the draft. I Long story, but in short I accidently blew all my FA money because I am in too many leagues and thought I had $200 to spend when all I had was $100 and I did not realize FA moves were $3 min. My last roster move of any note was in week 5 When I spent most all my money to get Maurice Jones Drew.

But I started winning and ended the year with LT, CJ and Gates going off. I ended up winning our leauge championship (I know - I had LT).

In the playoffs, the first week was so-so and then in week 14 I had a monster game when all my players went off and I scored 186 points (league high for the playoffs). That shot me to #1 by a few points. The next week, I had a decent week but another team had a monster week and they took the lead by 35 points or so. A lot to make up in the final week 16.

After the Sunday games, I was still in 2nd place thanks to MJD, Gore and even Kitna though LT, Gates and CJ did not do much. But I trailed by 10 points and I had just one player left and the #1 team had THREE.

I already wrote it off and was in a bad mood from coming so close. I mean he had both Terry Glenn and Marion Barber in the early MON game. But they only had 3 points in total. Heading into the late MON game, I was down by 13 but he had Laveranues Coles (2-9, 2.9 FF points). All I had was Jerricho Cotchery.

If you saw the game, you saw the rain and poor passing in general. Coles got knocked out of the game but returned for one of his catches. Cotchery had 3 catches for 18 yards and a run for 7. I was talking to WW and told him all I needed as a TD catch by Cotchery for about 35 yards and I could win.

Cotchery caught a TD with 8 minutes left in the game for 32 yards. But it was challenged. But it was still a TD.

I did some math and held my breath as neither Coles nor Cotchery had another catch.

Unless there is some scoring change, I ended up winning the 4 weeks playoffs 736.74 to 736.30 over the #1 team. That guy has to be wanting to slit his wrist when Marion Barber + Terry Glenn + Laveranues Coles + 9 points could not beat Jerricho Cotchery. I won on the basis of having 5 more yards than his team basically. That has got to hurt.

And, barring any unforeseen scoring correction or potential dispute, that means I have fulfilled my destiny of being the Fantasy Football Champion of Texas. Wonder what I should do with the $10k?

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

:D

obtw - Whitney just won SOFA for the second year in a row. Both me (auction) and Brent (IDP) lost in our playoffs.

David, you should send Christmas cards to the linemen on the Eagles who stuffed Barber 3x on the 1 yard line yesterday.

Its funny too because I was only up by 2.5 points in my other league (not the one below) and he had Harrington and Welker. I had the Miami Defense. But its a TD heavy league and a TD by Harrington likely would have sunk me. So you can imagine my smile seeing Willie Beamon I mean Cleo Lemon enter the game.

:D

What a stand-up guy. :D

Just amazing all around. I kept telling my wife that I've never felt so excited and yet a bit guilty about something since the time in high school when I was dating this girl and she ... well... Let's just say that I was both excited for me and a tinge heartbroken for you.

What a classy guy. Squirrel you should be a role model for kids who need to learn how to be both a good winner and a good loser. Shows a lot of character.

As for DD, I can only imagine what its like to watch a $9k catch and run by Leon Washington. Awesome!!! As a Jet fan, id like to say I was equally excited watching Leon's run to glory (but with 9k on the line I would gladly be okay with the Jets sitting this post-season out - well, maybe. Have to think about that again).

Congrats on being the smartest man in Texas!

I took my kids recently to a place that billed itself the largest corn maze in New York City. It was about the size of my kitchen. :D

Congrats to DMD and Squirrel both, good posts all around.

Edited by Easy n Dirty