[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big 10 vs SEC

theeohiostate

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arkansas was the best team in the SEC until the the SEC Championship game

That is the second time you mentioned that. What is up with you and Sarge always overstating the ranking of teams that are facing your conference?

Ark lost to LSU the week before the SEC Championship.

I think the only way to fairly judge the relative ranks within the conference is to look at their National rankings. That would rank the SEC as follows:

Fla

LSU

Ark

Aub

Tenn

Props to the Big 10's 2nd tier for stepping up and taking care of the SEC's 2nd tier. They had all but validated Michigan's arguments for a rematch until Michigan peed the bed in the Rose Bowl.

Tenn game was brutal and I was blind by loyalty not to see it coming. I'd watched several games this year and this one looked exactly the same. The other team able to move the ball and somehow stall just in time to set up a FG just out of their kickers range. Tenn would do nothing drive after drive and then pop a big play or two and be in it despite never looking good the entire time. Florida game was a perfect example. We were winning until late and I had absolutely no idea why.

Obviously the fumble was brutal as we were headed towards at least a FG in 4th. Considering nobody was scoring, that might have been enough. Oh well, maybes only count in TOSU's scoring system not the one they post in the paper. The Penn St. QB showed up big time and made some great passes early to get them on track.

Edited by detlef

The fumble, was a great play by the Penn State defense, nothing more nothing less. Penn State cemented itself, by forcing Tennessee to punt the next time around, and then statmped it with the punishing drive to run the clock out, in which the Vols were a beaten, worn down team.

No argument here with anything you said. At no point after kick-off did I think Tenn should win that game. I was pleasantly surprised to be marching towards what could have been the winning FG before that play. And yes, the clinching FG drive was against a beaten and worn down D that had been given far too little rest by an ineffective offence.

Based on the SEC Standings, Arkansas was the #2 or #3 team. Very much like Iowa was the 9th team in the Big Ten. SEC will downplay Arkansas, to the #4 team because of the national rankings. The fact is, LSU finished THIRD in the SEC WEST. It's all irrelevent anyway, because all we kept hearing was how the SEC was so deep, and the teams so even, that the difference between #1 and #5 wasn't all that great, not to mention they were favored in both games thus far, which according to rocker, the vegas oddsmakers should determine #1 vs #2, not the BCS, sooooooooo... I rest my case.

Based on the SEC Standings, Arkansas was the #2 or #3 team. Very much like Iowa was the 9th team in the Big Ten. SEC will downplay Arkansas, to the #4 team because of the national rankings. The fact is, LSU finished THIRD in the SEC WEST. It's all irrelevent anyway, because all we kept hearing was how the SEC was so deep, and the teams so even, that the difference between #1 and #5 wasn't all that great, not to mention they were favored in both games thus far, which according to rocker, the vegas oddsmakers should determine #1 vs #2, not the BCS, sooooooooo... I rest my case.

That about nailed it on the head. Blindass homers in the SEC will still not conseed, the conference isn't as good as they'd expected , even when OSU punks Florida, they'll have another excuse.

Fact is , when it's all said and done, the SEC will have lost ALL THREE bowl games to the Big 10, two of which they were favored, thereby stating to the country that the creme and mediocre teams from the Big 10 were better then that of the SEC.

:D

Edited by theeohiostate

I am not downgrading the SEC spots. Both the Big 10 and SEC had two teams in the BCS. The top remaining teams in each conference faced-off and Wisconson won. I'm not claiming that Ark was playing up to Wisconson just saying that the other isn't true either. The same goes for Penn St vs UT.

My issue came when TOSU claimed that "middle tier Big 10 teams" were beating the SEC "elite" and that is simply not true. My assertions was, is, and is that the ARK/UW and UT/Penn St were fair in terms of how good those teams are with respect to their conference. Tell me, are you honestly arguing that?

I understand that TOSU loves to take inane stances just to get a rise out of people but I've actually respected your opinions and think that you, unlike he, knows what the hell you are talking about.

I understand that TOSU loves to take inane stances just to get a rise out of people but I've actually respected your opinions and think that you, unlike he, knows what the hell you are talking about.

yep, you nor any SEC homer hasn't played down the Wisconsin , Penn St wins over the SEC :D

was that statement to "inane" for anyone. :bash:

USC beat Big 10 #2 Michigan by 14 points

USC blew out SEC #2 Arkansas by 36 points :D

Yer one game comparions are a joke. Why do you keep with these lame coomparions that mean nothing. We all know the USC/Mich game was not a 14 point game- they beat em by 3 td's, and gave up a late meaningless score- these posts you make comparing margin of victory mean nothing.

If they do take care of ARK that validates Michigan big time because that means Wisc could roll with the big boys of the SEC so both Mich and OSU are clearly better than anything the SEC could bring.

Wisconsin and Penn St, did in fact take care of the SEC, is it fair to say, according to you own works that Mich and OSU are clearly better then anything the SEC could bring?

I am quite confident that Tenn, LSU, Ark, and Auburn will win big. Florida will obviously have their hands full against OSU to say the least.

Tenn and Ark have alreay lost. Auburn was handed the game and CERTAINLY didn't earn any respect from anyone in college football.

LSU, must completely and utterly BLOW the doors off ND to save the SEC this season.

Please let us know when your man enough to say the SEC got punked by the Big 10, and clearly do not have the top teams in the country.

Yer one game comparions are a joke. Why do you keep with these lame coomparions that mean nothing. We all know the USC/Mich game was not a 14 point game- they beat em by 3 td's, and gave up a late meaningless score- these posts you make comparing margin of victory mean nothing.

Hey dingdong, did you see i was mocking a comparison from the poster i quoted.

Get a clue, dude...............READ and drink your koolaid before you post next time.

Edited by theeohiostate

Props to the Big 10's 2nd tier for stepping up and taking care of the SEC's 2nd tier. They had all but validated Michigan's arguments for a rematch until Michigan peed the bed in the Rose Bowl.

You mean like when I said this early today?

Now I'm sorry, but I don't share the same definition of "punked" that you and Sarge do so I won't concede that either Tenn or Ark were "punked". Both lost and clearly so. Neither can point to some imaginary amount of luck that the other team had or even complain about trickery.

As for the rest. I truly believed going in that the SEC teams were stronger. Oh well, that's why I get paid to cook and not to set odds. Big freaking deal.

LSU, must completely and utterly BLOW the doors off ND to save the SEC this season.

OK, let me turn that around. Doesn't OSU need to win to save the Big 10? They're already assured a losing bowl record and even Big 10 homers were pointing to Mich and OSU as they're real strength. Well, one of those two just got "punked" (I heartily endorse the usage in terms of what USC did to them). If LSU and Florida end up winning (making the SEC 6-3) and OSU and Mich go oh-fer, the "biblical asskickings" that Wisc and Penn St gave to the SEC will be little more than a footnote.

I think you guys argue just for the sake of argument.

OSU beats Florida and I will be extremly happy.

The score can be 2-0 and I'll smile for weeks. :D

OSU plays anyone for the National Title from any league and I'm happy. OSU 1 of 2 teams to get there.

I'm just glad my team is not the best 2 loss team in history of the game. :D

Sorry, I believe that title belongs to the Big Ten fans. They have great fans in the Big Ten but if you can not see the quality of football played in the SEC, then your blind label would apply.

Well, here's what I think of the SEC:

I'll gladly grant that the Big Ten this year was down - but of the 3 major conferences (SEC, Big 12 - well, Big 12 South, at least - Big Ten - the other conferences are just pretenders), you've got a BUNCH of solid programs that can rise up and bite any team in the ass on any given Saturday. Excepting a down year, there may be one or two total cupcakes and a deep bunch of very good teams. It's not as if the SEC doesn't have the Mississippi schools and until recently Vandy to beat up on for 3 easy wins.

I don't think that's blind homerism, your mileage may vary.

I give TOSU all the credit in the world for his consistency. He never sways from his schtick and his level of utter stupidity never changes. Let's take a look at these SEC vs. Big 10 games, and debunk the myth that "Mid Level Big 10 Teams knocked off the SEC Elite," shall we?

Penn State vs. Tennessee was a matchup of two teams that both went 5-3 in their respective conferences. Since both the Big 10 and SEC are right there when discussing top notch conferences, I think it is pretty plain to see that this was a dead even matchup. Tennessee largely earned their ranking on the blowout of Cal early in the season, and maintained it with the close loss to Florida and the drubbing of Georgia (which was in the midst of losing games to Vandy and Kentucky.) Let's not forget that Tennessee was soundly outplayed by Kentucky late in the season. UK's inability to kick field goals cost them that game, otherwise UT probably finishes the season outside the top 25 and it's Kentucky in that Outback Bowl instead of the Vols. So this was a game that featured two teams which were basically even. The only way anyone could argue otherwise would be to admit that the Big 10 was far weaker than the SEC since both had the same conference record. I doubt TOSU would concede to that. Notice the correct spelling of concede.

Arkansas vs. Wisconsin featured an SEC team which lost its last two conference games to the real top two teams in the conference. It's easy for people to anoint Arkansas as the number 2 team in the SEC since they lost the SEC title game. In this case, that would mean that a team from the Big 12 North would be the number two team in that conference every year as well. Tell that to Texas or OU...not even close. LSU lost road games early in the seaon to Auburn and Florida and finised the season on a six game winning streak, including wins at Tennessee and at Arkansas. Clearly LSU is the SECs second best team, and after they get through drubbing ND that will be easy to see. This means that the Big 10 #3 beat the SEC #3 by 3 points. Hardly a "middle of the road Big 10 team" beating an SEC Elite as TOSU has said. It's pretty clear to me that both the SEC and Big 10 had great seasons and both conferences should be proud to have multiple teams in BCS Games. OSU will not blow out Florida. I think OSU will win the game, but we saw USC expose Michigan with speed in the Rose Bowl. Florida has that same weapon, major speed. I can't wait to watch this game between two big time coaches and big time programs...it should be a classic.

I give TOSU all the credit in the world for his consistency. He never sways from his schtick and his level of utter stupidity never changes. Let's take a look at these SEC vs. Big 10 games, and debunk the myth that "Mid Level Big 10 Teams knocked off the SEC Elite," shall we?

Penn State vs. Tennessee was a matchup of two teams that both went 5-3 in their respective conferences. Since both the Big 10 and SEC are right there when discussing top notch conferences, I think it is pretty plain to see that this was a dead even matchup. Tennessee largely earned their ranking on the blowout of Cal early in the season, and maintained it with the close loss to Florida and the drubbing of Georgia (which was in the midst of losing games to Vandy and Kentucky.) Let's not forget that Tennessee was soundly outplayed by Kentucky late in the season. UK's inability to kick field goals cost them that game, otherwise UT probably finishes the season outside the top 25 and it's Kentucky in that Outback Bowl instead of the Vols. So this was a game that featured two teams which were basically even. The only way anyone could argue otherwise would be to admit that the Big 10 was far weaker than the SEC since both had the same conference record. I doubt TOSU would concede to that. Notice the correct spelling of concede.

Arkansas vs. Wisconsin featured an SEC team which lost its last two conference games to the real top two teams in the conference. It's easy for people to anoint Arkansas as the number 2 team in the SEC since they lost the SEC title game. In this case, that would mean that a team from the Big 12 North would be the number two team in that conference every year as well. Tell that to Texas or OU...not even close. LSU lost road games early in the seaon to Auburn and Florida and finised the season on a six game winning streak, including wins at Tennessee and at Arkansas. Clearly LSU is the SECs second best team, and after they get through drubbing ND that will be easy to see. This means that the Big 10 #3 beat the SEC #3 by 3 points. Hardly a "middle of the road Big 10 team" beating an SEC Elite as TOSU has said. It's pretty clear to me that both the SEC and Big 10 had great seasons and both conferences should be proud to have multiple teams in BCS Games. OSU will not blow out Florida. I think OSU will win the game, but we saw USC expose Michigan with speed in the Rose Bowl. Florida has that same weapon, major speed. I can't wait to watch this game between two big time coaches and big time programs...it should be a classic.

:D Ahh, the sweet smell of truth and sound logic. Thanks for the pickup.

Penn State vs. Tennessee was a matchup of two teams that both went 5-3 in their respective conferences. Since both the Big 10 and SEC are right there when discussing top notch conferences, I think it is pretty plain to see that this was a dead even matchup.

Arkansas vs. Wisconsin featured an SEC team which lost its last two conference games to the real top two teams in the conference. This means that the Big 10 #3 beat the SEC #3 by 3 points. Hardly a "middle of the road Big 10 team" beating an SEC Elite as TOSU has said.

First off not really sure you can call Penn State a big 10. Arn't they the 11th team? :D Enough said.

Ironically Wisconsin has a slight chance of actually losing ground in the rankings after Big 10 homers self proclaimed MONSTER 3 point win. We see it happen all the time when a 6th ranked team manages to escape with a 3 point win over a much lower ranked team who finished their season with 3 consecutive losses. :D Think the oddsmakers had it right by embarrassingly annointing the 12th ranked team a 1 to 2 point favorite over the 6th ranked team.

I see both Boise State & USC jumping the Badgers in the final AP poll.