[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bobby Petrino - Louisville Head Coach

broncosn05

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#1. Interesting that less than a week after the Nick Saban debacle, an owner dips into the college ranks for a head man. Albeit not necessarily from a big time program, but he was certainly making his mark at UL.

#2. Also interesting that they take the offensive mind over the defensive mind (Singletary).

#3. This must mean the QB Brohm is heading out as well. Adjust those draft lists.

This has disaster written all over it. You get a gimmick college coach to come in and coach the best gimmick qb around, thinking he can come up with the perfect offense for mv. Gimmicks do not work in the NFL on a regular basis. That's one less team to worry about in the division next year.

Plus Petrino runs a passing offense with gimmicks so he needs to teach mv how to pass.

Edited by SLAYER

This has disaster written all over it. You get a gimmick college coach to come in and coach the best gimmick qb around, thinking he can come up with the perfect offense for mv. Gimmicks do not work in the NFL on a regular basis. That's one less team to worry about in the division next year.

Plus Petrino runs a passing offense with gimmicks so he needs to teach mv how to pass.

Huh?

How is he a gimmick college coach?

I agree that this has disaster written all over it: A young, relatively unaccomplished college coach heading to a discontent NFL team with a six-year veteran, $100 million QB who yet to develop into an effective passer.

I really hope that this is just a rumor. I would've given Dan Reeves a second chance before this guy. Reeves actually had some success with Vick (not to mention Elway, another not-terribly-accurate mobile QB).

I agree that this has disaster written all over it: A young, relatively unaccomplished college coach heading to a discontent NFL team with a six-year veteran, $100 million QB who yet to develop into an effective passer.

I really hope that this is just a rumor. I would've given Dan Reeves a second chance before this guy. Reeves actually had some success with Vick (not to mention Elway, another not-terribly-accurate mobile QB).

Unaccomplished??

Season Overall Conf.*   Bowl 2003	  9-4	  5-3	GMAC 2004	 11-1	 8-0	Liberty** 2005	  9-3	  5-2	Gator 2006	 12-1	 6-1   Orange** Totals   41-9	24-6	 2-2 

Unaccomplished??

Season Overall Conf.*   Bowl 2003	  9-4	  5-3	GMAC 2004	 11-1	 8-0	Liberty** 2005	  9-3	  5-2	Gator 2006	 12-1	 6-1   Orange** Totals   41-9	24-6	 2-2 

Yes, unaccomplished.

I'm as big a Big East fan as anyone, but even I have to admit that the conference sucks when it comes to football. The only bigger joke than Big East football was Conference USA football.

Louisville is simply not a big time college football program.

Unaccomplished??

Winning at freaking Louisville isn't even remotely comparable to winning in the NFL. No offense to Petrino, who I'm sure is a great college coach, but the Falcons really should've gone after somebody with a better track record in the NFL.

Winning at freaking Louisville isn't even remotely comparable to winning in the NFL. No offense to Petrino, who I'm sure is a great college coach, but the Falcons really should've gone after somebody with a better track record in the NFL.

Falcons have proven in the past that their philosphy about football is all about entertainment and selling tickets. To me Petrino gives them this much more so than picking up a no name NFL assistant or by bringing back a has been old coach. Not every team is going to hit a homerun like the Saints did.

Huh?

How is he a gimmick college coach?

yeah, how so gimmicky?

this year, UL had 446 rush attempts for 190ypg versus 349 pass attempts for 280ypg.

anyways, as an ATL i'm a bit disappointed but the current NFL coordinator/HC candidate field was pretty muddled unless you were willing to wait until after the playoffs. Even some of the standout coordinators have no HC experience.

his offense is pro style predicated on a consistent run game and a big O-line with depth. not boring by any means with multiple looks and sets.

i'm optimistic to see a shakeup in the coordinators and a change in the O-line. Say what you want about Vick (and i'm sure everyone will and has) but their O-line has been getting a pass for years... zero consistency in pass protection and passing lanes. they are great zone blockers but they are consistently penetrated up the middle and beat on the edges. Gibbs' system will either be on the way out, scaled back, and/or they'll get some bigger eaters up front.

Falcons starting front 5

LT Gandy 6-4, 315

LG Lehr 6-2, 304

C McClure 6-1, 286

RG Clabo 6-6, 314

RT Weiner 6-4, 297

Louisville starting front 5

keep in mind the left side and center were barely 20 and on their way to 320+

LT Bussey 6-4, 300 (sophomore)

LG Barlowe 6-4, 290 (jr)

C Wood 6-4, 300 (sophmore)

RG Quartermand 6-5, 330 (senior)

RT Foster 6-5, 330 (senior)

Falcons have proven in the past that their philosphy about football is all about entertainment and selling tickets. To me Petrino gives them this much more so than picking up a no name NFL assistant or by bringing back a has been old coach. Not every team is going to hit a homerun like the Saints did.

There may be some truth to that, but winning is the epitome of entertainment.

I think that they should've given Reeves another shot. He's actually had some success in the NFL and has developed at least one good QB.

yeah, how so gimmicky?

this year, UL had 446 rush attempts for 190ypg versus 349 pass attempts for 280ypg.

anyways, as an ATL i'm a bit disappointed but the current NFL coordinator/HC candidate field was pretty muddled unless you were willing to wait until after the playoffs. Even some of the standout coordinators have no HC experience.

his offense is pro style predicated on a consistent run game and a big O-line with depth. not boring by any means with multiple looks and sets.

i'm optimistic to see a shakeup in the coordinators and a change in the O-line. Say what you want about Vick (and i'm sure everyone will and has) but their O-line has been getting a pass for years... zero consistency in pass protection and passing lanes. they are great zone blockers but they are consistently penetrated up the middle and beat on the edges. Gibbs' system will either be on the way out, scaled back, and/or they'll get some bigger eaters up front.

Falcons starting front 5

LT Gandy 6-4, 315

LG Lehr 6-2, 304

C McClure 6-1, 286

RG Clabo 6-6, 314

RT Weiner 6-4, 297

Louisville starting front 5

keep in mind the left side and center were barely 20 and on their way to 320+

LT Bussey 6-4, 300 (sophomore)

LG Barlowe 6-4, 290 (jr)

C Wood 6-4, 300 (sophmore)

RG Quartermand 6-5, 330 (senior)

RT Foster 6-5, 330 (senior)

Believe McClure just got a contact extension.

Not as familiar w/UL as some of you apparently are but I also find this "gimmicky coach" and "unaccomplished" pretty bizarro statements. This was a great signing IMO. They needed a more offensive-minded guy.

I just hope he's good at genuflecting. :D

PS did they interview at least one black guy for the job?? If not I can't wait for the NFLPA and Al Sharpton to open up a can o whoop arse on those friggin racists. yo.

Edited by BeeR

There may be some truth to that, but winning is the epitome of entertainment.

very true.

another thought, owner Art Blank was enamored with the Niners' coach staff after dumping Reeves. so he went and bought a slumping organizations' rejects in Jan. 2004.

McKay was hired away from Tampa in December 2003 but Mora wasn't his hire, it was Blank's. I'm not sure if the Petrino hire is McKay's or Blank's but Blank does more harm than good... perhaps moreso than any other owner in the league.

whatever Petrino does he'll be doing everyone involved a disservice if he doesn't bring some accountability to the players and his own staff. and yes this includes Vick too. no position should be safe.

very true.

another thought, owner Art Blank was enamored with the Niners' coach staff after dumping Reeves. so he went and bought a slumping organizations' rejects in Jan. 2004.

McKay was hired away from Tampa in December 2003 but Mora wasn't his hire, it was Blank's. I'm not sure if the Petrino hire is McKay's or Blank's but Blank does more harm than good... perhaps moreso than any other owner in the league.

whatever Petrino does he'll be doing everyone involved a disservice if he doesn't bring some accountability to the players and his own staff. and yes this includes Vick too. no position should be safe.

Don't think any position will be safe that's for sure. Whenever a new coach comes in there's usually alot of turnovers aka Saints roster last year and this year. That's why the smart marginal NFL players hate to see coacing turnovers. Much like in any business.

Yes, unaccomplished.

I'm as big a Big East fan as anyone, but even I have to admit that the conference sucks when it comes to football. The only bigger joke than Big East football was Conference USA football.

Louisville is simply not a big time college football program.

It's not just what he's done at U of L.

He's been pretty succesful wherever he's been and at whatever position he's coached.

Petrino returned to his alma mater in 1985 as offensive coordinator. In each of his two seasons in that position, Carroll College had the top-rated offense in NAIA football.

In 1992, he took a step up the coaching ladder when he became quarterbacks coach at Arizona State. During his two seasons at ASU, he oversaw the development of future All-American and current Denver Broncos QB Jake Plummer.

In 1994, he moved to Nevada, serving both as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. During his one season there, the Wolf Pack was second in the nation in both passing offense and total offense, and third in scoring offense. He then moved to the NFL, spending two seasons as the quarterbacks coach and a third as offensive coordinator with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Petrino arrived at U of L for the first time in 1998 as offensive coordinator, following Smith. In his one season there, the Cardinals were top-ranked in Division I-A in scoring and total offense and posted the biggest positive turnaround among I-A football teams, winning six more games than in the 1997 season.

In 2002, Petrino returned to the college ranks as offensive coordinator at Auburn, whose offense significantly improved its position in the Division I-A rankings in that season.

He would return to Louisville in 2003 as head coach, and has since burnished his reputation as one of the top offensive minds in football.

Phil Simms and his son Matt can't be too happy about this, Matt just committed to Louisville during the All American Bowl this Saturday.

Also Kingfish, your lines size doesn't matter, they run a zone blocking scheme and use lighter, more athletic linemen.