[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gonzo gone?

budlitebrad

Chiefs | Gonzalez may be ready to move on

Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:45:19 -0800

Sam Mellinger, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez's tenure with the team may be coming to an end. Gonzalez will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason. "It's been 10 years now, for me, leaving here disappointed," Gonzalez said. "I'll never get used to it, and I never want to. But after 10 years, you start to say to yourself, 'This is something that's got to change.' That's what they pay us for, to win games, to go to the Super Bowl. If we can't get it done, something's got to change. I'm looking forward to change this offseason."

Bengals? Panthers? Seahawks? Saints? Bears?

I'm just throwing out some playoff teams that could use a top TE.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the Chiefs are not going to franchise-tag him? :D

It's already been stated that they will franchise him for anywhere to 7.8 mill to 11 mill. Peterson has stated multiple times he will not let him leave. I, along with a number of Chiefs fans will be calling for Petersons head, not that we don't currently.

If that is his quote, it sounds like he's saying "I've decided to move on, don't even bother franchising me".

Who knows, it could get ugly, he could end up being franchised to retain the rights, then KC will work out a trade.

Do they even need to franchise-tag him before trading him? Do they have his rights until June or is he already a UFA?

Do they even need to franchise-tag him before trading him? Do they have his rights until June or is he already a UFA?

He is a UFA (unless of the unlikely event of him re-signing with the Chiefs in the next month).

Sam Mellinger, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez's tenure with the team may be coming to an end.

Reporters creating a story where none exists?

Possible, I've never even heard of this Sam Mellinger, he's not the Chiefs primary writer.

How about you post the whole article :D

Shake-up possible for Chiefs in ’07

Status of Gonzalez and Green among the issues that have to be decided.

By SAM MELLINGER

The Kansas City Star

His stuff packed away, his locker nearly clean and his goodbyes mostly said, Tony Gonzalez put on a black coat and gray stocking cap and walked out of Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday morning.

The locker room he left behind was a mix of smiles and jokes and hugs. The sting of Saturday’s dismal 23-8 playoff loss in Indianapolis seemed mostly behind the Chiefs, or at least pushed beneath the surface for now.

Gonzalez will start his superstar travel schedule shortly. He’ll chill in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl. But at the moment, a shade past 10:30 in the morning, Gonzalez sounded like a man who sees the end approaching.

“It’s been 10 years now, for me, leaving here disappointed,” he said. “I’ll never get used to it, and I never want to. But after 10 years, you start to say to yourself, ‘This is something that’s got to change.’

“That’s what they pay us for, to win games, to go to the Super Bowl. If we can’t get it done, something’s got to change. I’m looking forward to change this offseason.”

There’s been so much change already in the last year, from Dick Vermeil’s tears to Herm Edwards’ sermons, from a score-’em-if-you-got-’em offense to a conservative approach that would make Fox News blush.

Trent Green suffered a nasty grade-3 concussion and seemed to grow a littler grayer on top. Larry Johnson broke Jamal Anderson’s single-season carries record, a mark no running back should ever want.

Through it all, Gonzalez caught 73 passes for 900 yards and five touchdowns, good for another Pro Bowl season — his eighth in 10 NFL seasons.

They’ve all been with the Chiefs, and that may be coming to an end. Gonzalez is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent — though the Chiefs may give him the franchise tag and retain him — and could be open to playing somewhere else.

“That’s a definite possibility,” he said.

A probability?

“It’s a possibility,” he said. “Honestly, I don’t know at this point. I couldn’t tell you any which way, am I coming back or going out there as a free agent. I hope they don’t franchise me, and that means free-agency. If that comes, I’m gonna go out there and look around.”

Across the way, Green, the franchise quarterback and one of the guys sure to come back, sat in front of his locker, waiting for a day of rehab. There is no rest for the weary, and Green plans on spending much of the offseason building his body back to where it was before his injury.

What the team looks like when he returns is a whole different issue.

“Oh, there will be (change),” he said. “It’s not a matter if I want it. There will be. Every year, there’s about 10 to 15 new players, and this year there may be more than that, if you just base it on what coach Edwards has said, and who’s going to be a free agent.”

Johnson bolted from Arrowhead before the locker room was open to reporters, a Yankees hat covering the Roc-A-Fella logo cut into his hair. Johnson and the Chiefs have begun talks on a new contract, giving the team at least some stability as it enters this offseason.

Besides the unknown with several key players, the constant in the locker room was another season of disappointment. In a lot of ways, the team did better than some expected, overcoming the retirement of tackle Willie Roaf and the absence of running back Priest Holmes and the injury to Green and the new coaching philosophy to slide into the playoffs.

In other ways, it’s going to take some time to get over the beating in Indianapolis.

“That’s all you got now, is time,” guard Brian Waters said. “It’s not like you have to prepare for next week or anything like that. You just have to get back to your family and friends and all those people, and those are the people who are going to love you regardless.”

Waters talked about how the experience in Indianapolis could only help the team, how each player now had a better idea of what it takes to win a playoff game.

He vowed to use the offseason to improve himself and said he expects his teammates to do the same.

The problem is he can’t exactly be sure who his teammates will be anymore. One of the guys in limbo, Gonzalez, wasn’t even planning on watching Sunday’s playoff games.

“Little too soon for me,” he said.

You could only wonder if it’s now a little too late for the Chiefs.

Edited by Hat Trick