[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting tidbits

i_am_the_swammi

--after a hot start (5-1), the Saints are a mediocre 5-5 over their last 10 games

--after all the hype about playing in THE dome in a season of destiny, the Saints have lost 4 of their last 5 games there

--28 of 55 Saints players, and their 1st-year head coach, have never been in a playoff game

--Saints are 2nd to last in yards per play against...should be some big plays for the Eagles

--I'll take Westbrook/Buck over Deuce/Bush everyday

--Eagles only loss with Garcia was his 1st game starting, at Indy in a game they would probably have lost with Joe Montana at QB

--since the Eagles shuffled their d-line after Week 10, they have improved dramatically versus the run

Now I'll take off my green-tinted glasses.....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of reasons really. Heck, these teams have the same record (and the "well, the last game didn't count" doesn't wash for two reasons with me - if that doesnt' count, neitehr does the Tenn game for us / I don't think it would have been any different - ask the Cowboys about that last game issue). Between the experience, the opposite direction the teams were going in at the end of the year (our biggest "advantage" in the whole NFC - not a single team is close to our momentum), and I think a definite defensive advantage, no reason we don't win.

My biggest worry is simply the week off - it is a huge advantage in all kinds of ways. I'm glad we got to win a game and keep our momentum, but believe me, I'd have rather had the week off (and have a home game).

There's a lot of reasons really. Heck, these teams have the same record (and the "well, the last game didn't count" doesn't wash for two reasons with me - if that doesnt' count, neitehr does the Tenn game for us / I don't think it would have been any different - ask the Cowboys about that last game issue). Between the experience, the opposite direction the teams were going in at the end of the year (our biggest "advantage" in the whole NFC - not a single team is close to our momentum), and I think a definite defensive advantage, no reason we don't win.

My biggest worry is simply the week off - it is a huge advantage in all kinds of ways. I'm glad we got to win a game and keep our momentum, but believe me, I'd have rather had the week off (and have a home game).

The Eagles had, essentially, week #17 off since they rested their starters. As a result, they came out flat against the G-Men. NO has had essentially 2 weeks off. That's a long layoff and they may come out flat as well as a result (it happens a lot after a 2 week layoff). I'm with ya on home field, though.

--after a hot start (5-1), the Saints are a mediocre 5-5 over their last 10 games

--after all the hype about playing in THE dome in a season of destiny, the Saints have lost 4 of their last 5 games there

--28 of 55 Saints players, and their 1st-year head coach, have never been in a playoff game

--Saints are 2nd to last in yards per play against...should be some big plays for the Eagles

--I'll take Westbrook/Buck over Deuce/Bush everyday

--Eagles only loss with Garcia was his 1st game starting, at Indy in a game they would probably have lost with Joe Montana at QB

--since the Eagles shuffled their d-line after Week 10, they have improved dramatically versus the run

Now I'll take off my green-tinted glasses.....

WHO DAT... Saints have never played a playoff game on Saturday night. With Sunday to recover the Dome will be rockin like never before. Black & Gold Super Bowl

Because Romo was taking advantage of that secondary, right? :D

The secondary does more than just cover WRs.

Hey, I don't have a dog in this fight, I just think losing a quality player like Shepherd will hurt, that's all. I'm not saying it will be the key to a N.O. victory.

believe me, it hurts. He's a probowler (whether he should be or not...he went from being an up and coming good to great cover guy to being an all or nothing pick sort of guy in the blink of an eye). Won't kill us (I don't believe) but i'd rather have him than not.

while the week off thing can lead to flatness, I'd still take it. Every player I've ever heard speak about it says it's so much better cause everyone's hurt adn that week of no one hitting you really helps.

I do think the Saints have a chance at a double whammy - a week off so not flat, but out of synch, coupled with what should be a CRAZY crowd - one or two early mistakes coupled that with an eager young coach, and an inexperienced playoff team, and i could see a snowball effect for them where they keep pressing and get into the Keanu Reeves quicksand. Not calling that, but could see it.

Really think it'll play to form with a close game decided in the 4th

27-24 Philly

Didn't NO already beat PHI once this year? Wouldn't that be worth considering?

Yes, it would....it is much more difficult to beat a team twice in the same season than to only beat them once. I think I remember the NFL average is something like 70+% that teams split, rather than one team sweeping.

I forgot that lil' gem, DMD. :D

Didn't NO already beat PHI once this year? Wouldn't that be worth considering?

Kinda, but (a) was so long ago, both teams are really different at this stage and (:D it was an odd game (most of the Eagles first few were - just odd plays or weird stretches). Not sure you can take a lot away from it in terms of forecasting this one. However, if you do, it would be "anyone's game - last team with ball probably wins"....and this time we drive for 8 f'n minutes

(realize that a crappy kicker nailing a 62 yarder in a million degree heat (i was there - felt like a million) is what made the diff between this game being in NO or PHi...)

Equally important- the Saints in their entire history have won as many playoff games as the Eagles won last week alone.

Have you convinced yourself 100% yet? Could you call Vegas because they think NO wins by 5... :D

(realize that a crappy kicker nailing a 62 yarder in a million degree heat (i was there - felt like a million) is what made the diff between this game being in NO or PHi...)

that, and a rookie mistake by LB Omar Gaither not getting off the field in time against the Saints on 3rd and 4 that kept their 8-minute drive alive.

A lot of things are different about this game versus the first.....foremost, an Eagle offense that is excelling at running the football. It'll be interesting to see if the Saints smaller d-line can handle Runyan, Andrews (All-Pro) and the boys at the point of attack.

that, and a rookie mistake by LB Omar Gaither not getting off the field in time against the Saints on 3rd and 4 that kept their 8-minute drive alive.

A lot of things are different about this game versus the first.....foremost, an Eagle offense that is excelling at running the football. It'll be interesting to see if the Saints smaller d-line can handle Runyan, Andrews (All-Pro) and the boys at the point of attack.

Let's see rewind week 6; Eagles are 4-1 riding a three game winning streak, McNabb is putting up MVP #'s, Eagles are flying high coming off a bid win over the Cowboys, Saints still looking for an identity and playing good football, Colston is rocking but Bush is sorta lost still, Brees starting to connect with his recievers. Saints go up Mcnabb leads the eagles to a comeback and they take the lead with over 8 minutes left the Saints drive kick the FG for the victory and an identity is born.

ok FF to now. The Eagles again are a winning streak this time Garcia is leading them. There running attack has improved, but Garcia cannot get a shootout with the Saints or the Cleve/det Garcia will show up. plus they are without Lito(downplay it all you wantbut Brees will throw 30-40 times)are they a better team than what the Saints faced in week 6 don't know but I think the week6 team was better. Saints a much improved team than what the Eagles faced in week 6, much has been said about the history and never did this and that, but hey it has to start somewhere for first and this is as good as a time as any.

Just remember this one last thought Payton has played against and scheamed against Johnson 2x a year for 5 yrs. and he has has 2 weeks to prepare a game plan and from what I've seen as a result of his game planning is VICTORY.

Saints 34 Eagles 24