[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Has the Torch Been Passed

Rockerbraves

A lot of the "America's Team" stuff comes from merchandise sales. Dallas was No. 1 for years through the '90s. Part of it was media exposure -- I recall almost every Sunday afternoon game, before there was Sunday night football, had that drunk Pat Summaral and Madden broadcasting a Cowboys game nationally. That, and America loves a winner, and the Cowboys were winners. See, for instance, the Harris Poll from the start of the 2006 season which named the Steelers as the most popular team in the country.

You can't go by merchandise sales so much any more because people buy individual spamshirts rather than team spamshirts -- draw whatever conclusions you want from that -- and the 'hood factor has taken sales away from football fans. Alexander spamshirts were a big seller before he became a fantasy stud because, as I recall, "Alexander" referred to Jason Alexander, who of course played George on Seinfeld, who was seen as sort of a patron saint of boys in da hood because of his attitude about work and life in general.

And for the past several years, the Raiders have been at or near the top in merchandise sales -- draw whatever conclusions you want from that, too.

Even Bengals fans know "Who dat" came before "Who dey."

Providence is probably the most mob-controlled city in the country. "Who die."

And if it ends up being a Saints/Colts Super Bowl, I'm not convinced most people will automatically pull for the Saints. I think a lot of people like Dungy, Manning and Harrison, and they'd like to see them get a ring, too. And now that skins has jumped on the Saints bandwagon ...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CD, can I assume by your signature you are a Raven fan. No offense, but your Raven ballclub is unquestionably the most boring team in the NFL. I mean that sincerely. Don't get me wrong I don't hate them I just find them boring.

I'm not a Baltimore Ravens fan, I'm a 49ers fan...I just did the sigline bet because they were playing AGAINST Indy. I do any sigline bet against Indy.

If there was an America's Team, there would be no one to play against and the league would fold! No other fans! :D

Jeezzzeeee...........One article in Sports Illustrated more than 30 years ago that made a comment and it sticks like crap on a wall, so some people keep buying it! :D Keep wishin' and wallowing! :bash:

If there was an America's Team, there would be no one to play against and the league would fold! No other fans! :D

Jeezzzeeee...........One article in Sports Illustrated more than 30 years ago that made a comment and it sticks like crap on a wall, so some people keep buying it! :D Keep wishin' and wallowing! :bash:

People like the NFL marketing machine?

And whats up with NO stealing the Cincy who dat crap. I mean if you are going to steal a chant from another NFL team, at least make it something good. And now they are claiming to be America's team. LMMFAO, the Aints havent mattered in 30+ years and after this weekend, wont matter again for another 30. What a f'n joke.

42-17. Now climb back under your rock.

If there's a debate about who America's team is, it ain't gonna be between Dallas and New Orleans. I don't know who the challenge will come from, but I do know it's not gonna come from a one year wonder.

Beg to differ my friend. Should New Orleans win this weekend the media will have plenty enough time to campaign for The New America's Team. Now if the Saints win or lose a competitive Super Bowl then the torch will have passed for at least a couple of years. Obviously everyone likes an underdog (aka Boise State) just like the Cowboys were against those great Lombardi Packer teams. The key to retaining the The New America's Team label will be New Orleans abilty to reach the playoffs on a consistent basis.

Beg to differ my friend. Should New Orleans win this weekend the media will have plenty enough time to campaign for The New America's Team. Now if the Saints win or lose a competitive Super Bowl then the torch will have passed for at least a couple of years. Obviously everyone likes an underdog (aka Boise State) just like the Cowboys were against those great Lombardi Packer teams. The key to retaining the The New America's Team label will be New Orleans abilty to reach the playoffs on a consistent basis.

One great season does not make one "America's Team". Consistant winning over several years and a nation-wide fanbase does, on top of a marketing machine willing to tag you with that.

New Orleans has none of that. Right now they ARE just the newest flavor, and next year it will be another. We live in a world where every newswriter needs to be crowning the newest King. A few years ago they tried to call Blt the greatest Defense of all time. Then it was Vick is the best QB of all time. Last year, everybody LOVED Pittsburgh and Bettis going home again. Writers need to say soemthing to try to seem ahead of the curve, smarter than the rest and more observant the Joe Public. Nobody is willing to wait and let history judge, it's a sign of our "have it now" society. If you wanna name them somethign, maybe "America's Team of the moment" is more appropriate.

One great season does not make one "America's Team". Consistant winning over several years and a nation-wide fanbase does, on top of a marketing machine willing to tag you with that.

New Orleans has none of that. Right now they ARE just the newest flavor, and next year it will be another. We live in a world where every newswriter needs to be crowning the newest King. A few years ago they tried to call Blt the greatest Defense of all time. Then it was Vick is the best QB of all time. Last year, everybody LOVED Pittsburgh and Bettis going home again. Writers need to say soemthing to try to seem ahead of the curve, smarter than the rest and more observant the Joe Public. Nobody is willing to wait and let history judge, it's a sign of our "have it now" society. If you wanna name them somethign, maybe "America's Team of the moment" is more appropriate.

Pleeze don't even try to compare those stories about Vick and Bettis with the one that is now being marketed as perhaps the "Greatest Story in Sports" Granted it will all come tumbling down should the Saints lose this weekend, but for now the Saints success story is normally reserved for the movies.

New Orleans makes the playoffs 20 yrs in a row, then they can be in the same sentence as America's team. One fluke season, when most thought they would be in the running for the #1 overall pick will prove just how tainted this run of luck NO has come into. hell there was even word, Payton would be a in between coach, until the owner could move the team. Obviously Payton made the most of his opportunity regardless of what happens in the future. But you can bet your ass if they start next season 2-6 next yr that stadium will be half empty and Benson will again look to relocate his team.

And how is this the greatest story in sports. There have been hurricanes before, and sad sack teams rebound in the past. Are you telling me because the government completely dropped the ball on protecting this city and now they spend multi millions on getting the super dome repaired instead of spending that money on the people who are homeless makes this a great story because a once sad sack franchise is finally having some success. I completely diagree.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Pleeze don't even try to compare those stories about Vick and Bettis with the one that is now being marketed as perhaps the "Greatest Story in Sports" Granted it will all come tumbling down should the Saints lose this weekend, but for now the Saints success story is normally reserved for the movies.

It's exactly the same thing, it's just this years story. The fact that you acknowledge that if the Saints lose, they WON'T be America's team is proof of that. It's a flakey, shallow title to attach to them. In 8 months NOBODY will refer to them as America's Team, in fact, outside of the message board and Sportscasters, I have never heard ANYBODY refer to them as America's Team anyways. It's a fad name attached to what is right now a one-year wonder. I hate Dallas as much as the next guy, but they didn't get that tagline by winning a single Superbowl (which NO hasn't done yet). They got it for ALWAYS contending year in and year out over the course of several decades, and haveing a rabid fanbase across America.

And how is this the greatest story in sports. I completely diagree.

I certainly didn't expect you to agree of all people, however New orleans is not the one pitching this as the Greatest Story in Sports. It's the national media. Same thing could have happen after 911 except that happen in New York a city not known for being an underdog. Believe me when I tell you the Saints were very much displaced last season having to play a home game in New York and their other games in Tiger Stadium. Maaybe they drew 25,000 max. due to the fact that the true Nawlin's Saints fans never felt at quite at home in Tiger Country.

Can we please end the 'Saints are the new America's Team' talk? I would wager that 99.9% of Saints fans would tell you that it's not a moniker that we want.

As for the franchises themselves, yes Dallas IS in fact one of the greatest franchises in NFL history and all professional sports for that matter IMHO, despite the woes of the past several seasons. Of course the Saints as a franchise could not possibly be compared with the Cowboys or most other NFL franchises for that matter in history. We are one of the few who's good times have been very few & far between. But now that seems to be changing with the hiring of Sean Payton. Based on what I've seen this year & what he gets out of his players I think Payton has turned the Saints into a winning franchise and I don't think that's changing anytime soon. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen, but I believe it, the fans believe it & the team believes it and that is all that really matters. I personally believe they deserve the credit & respect for what they have done this year regardless of what happened last year or prior to that. If anybody wants disagree that's your prerogative, but honestly I couldn't care less.

Edited by rajncajn

New Orleans makes the playoffs 20 yrs in a row, then they can be in the same sentence as America's team. One fluke season, when most thought they would be in the running for the #1 overall pick will prove just how tainted this run of luck NO has come into.

I don't think it was a fluke season. They have had talented players for many years, but it took a good coach to put it together. They have needs but should get better. They are off to a better start than most in the NFC.

A for the #1 pick I think Oakland, the Titans or Jets were expected to get it.