[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

typical

H8tank

I find this odd, because criminalization isn't nearly as bad as the current consequences.

If someone reports you to authorities for hitting your child under 3, I don't think there is a Childrens Services group in the country that wouldn't intervene. And you can get your kid taken away, sometimes for a little while while you go through parental education classes, but it can go up to a permanent removal. And, unlike a criminal charge, you have no right to a jury trial, just a judge, and usually a judge who relies heavily on recommendations from Childrens Services if he wants to be re-elected. And Childrens Services is usally staffed by fresh college-graduate childless females who, because they are 22 and have a degree in social work, know exactly the proper way you should raise your child.

This isn't the government starting to encroach in how you raise your child -- the state is already there, and has been for some time, no matter how you feel about it.

This is possibly the least informed statement I have ever seen in the Tailgate... and that's saying something.

It is apparent you know nothing about the Child Protective Services or the laws they operate under.

In my office, sometimes some of my staff don't do as I ask or create problems that they shouldn't do. I get particularly upset when someone calls in sick. I find a good, hard rap on the knuckles helps remind them to listen to what I say and do as they are told.

I think if more employers utilized the occasional (and warranted) spanking, you would see a better workforce and a booming economy.

Even the prisoners? :D

Do you really spank kids under 3?

I see the need for spanking in some circumstances... but really? Under 3? Don't you have better ways to deal with kids at that age?

Either way, the state shouldn't be legislating it unless the kid is being abused.

Well I have a 2 year old who sometimes will reach for the oven when he sees his favorite foods cooking (he's a freak for pizza). I'll definitely spank his hand and shout a loud and firm NO at him when this happens. I don't feel even slightly bad for doing this even if there are other options.

Well I have a 2 year old who sometimes will reach for the oven when he sees his favorite foods cooking (he's a freak for pizza). I'll definitely spank his hand and shout a loud and firm NO at him when this happens. I don't feel even slightly bad for doing this even if there are other options.

Yeah... that's my point. If I shout and squeeze his hand, my kid acts like I just put the fear of God into him. I can't imagine having to actually paddle his ass to enforce discipline at that age.

I remember when my boys were eight and nine years old. I would sometimes wake them up in the morning with these words, "Boys, you know sometime today you're going to get a spanking." And they would reply, "Yup". Children know they need correcting. It's the dimwit parents that are failing their children when they don't. Spare the "rod" and spoil the child.

My oldest is just about to turn 21. I don't think I swatted him on his behind since he was 7 and I've probably done it 3-4 times in his life. That's about the same for all the kids.

Didn't see anything wrong with it then and don't see anything wrong with it now.

Yeah... that's my point. If I shout and squeeze his hand, my kid acts like I just put the fear of God into him. I can't imagine having to actually paddle his ass to enforce discipline at that age.

But I would be afraid the outlawing spanking would make what I do with my 2 year old illegal, even though it is only his hand that I would "spank". I haven't really read anything about this to be honest with you, so I don't know how they define spanking.

I've done this a couple times with my 2-year old (well, more of a grab on the hand, but once or twice a smack on the hand) when he hits the dog in the face and when he is doin something that could really endanger himself, such as reaching for the oven.

I was only spanked maybe a few times, but, I definitely remember the last time, as I was spanked for something I didn't do it by my Dad and he found out shortly after spanking me that I didn't do it... he felt terrible and I don't recall ever being spanked after that.