[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles -- "Gold Standard"

fitzkek

Wow, gotta love the attitude and dedication of the Eagles brass... :D

Reuben Frank, of PhillyBurbs.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles general manager Tom Heckert said the team is unlikely to re-sign WR Donte' Stallworth before free agency starts. Heckert said, "If he's healthy, he's a really good player. I think that will be kind of a wait-and-see deal because I don't think even he knows what he's worth. Getting him done before free agency, that's probably not going to happen. There's not a whole lot of wide receivers out there. It's tough to gauge. When he's healthy, he's a good player. People are going to say the same thing — if he's injured (often), how much are you going to pay him? But he's young and he's fast. He's really fast. I think he'll probably end up signing a pretty good contract somewhere. If you look at last year, those (2006 free agents) got huge money and they were just OK guys."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, gotta love the attitude and dedication of the Eagles brass... :D

Reuben Frank, of PhillyBurbs.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles general manager Tom Heckert said the team is unlikely to re-sign WR Donte' Stallworth before free agency starts. Heckert said, "If he's healthy, he's a really good player. I think that will be kind of a wait-and-see deal because I don't think even he knows what he's worth. Getting him done before free agency, that's probably not going to happen. There's not a whole lot of wide receivers out there. It's tough to gauge. When he's healthy, he's a good player. People are going to say the same thing — if he's injured (often), how much are you going to pay him? But he's young and he's fast. He's really fast. I think he'll probably end up signing a pretty good contract somewhere. If you look at last year, those (2006 free agents) got huge money and they were just OK guys."

isn't this year draft supposed to have a pretty decent draft at WR though?

isn't this year draft supposed to have a pretty decent draft at WR though?

Absolutely. However, the Eagles offense, or so we're told, can not be mastered by a rookie. This means that even if they draft a WR, he won't play until 2008. Just sign him. He's needed. I'm not real sure Hank Baskett and Greg Lewis scare anybody.

i dunno....they seem to have made pretty good decisions in the past on which free agents to let move on to hugh contracts with other teams. trotter when he went to the skins, their two corners when they went with sheppard and brown, corey simon, refusing to renegotiate with TO. every time they've taken tons of criticism for being "tight", but it seems like every time in hindsight they made the right call. can anyone else think of an instance when a free agent left the eagles for a hugh paycheck somewhere else and actually earned the contract they got?

i dunno....they seem to have made pretty good decisions in the past on which free agents to let move on to hugh contracts with other teams. trotter when he went to the skins, their two corners when they went with sheppard and brown, corey simon, refusing to renegotiate with TO. every time they've taken tons of criticism for being "tight", but it seems like every time in hindsight they made the right call. can anyone else think of an instance when a free agent left the eagles for a hugh paycheck somewhere else and actually earned the contract they got?

Derrick Burgess, Raheem Brock come to mind quickly.

Derrick Burgess, Raheem Brock come to mind quickly.

burgess was ALWAYS hurt..ties needed to be cut...just glad he is going it out of conf

as for the WRs brown is going into his ascension Year(3rd) and baskett they liked PS and I think he will make a very serviceable #2 WR

Brown is a stud, and baskett and avant will be good WR....but Stallworth is exactly what we need. Look, if someone offers him 35M for 5 years, I understand letting him go, but to not come out with a "we're keeping our important guys" message on him seems wrong

burgess was ALWAYS hurt..ties needed to be cut...just glad he is going it out of conf

as for the WRs brown is going into his ascension Year(3rd) and baskett they liked PS and I think he will make a very serviceable #2 WR

avant may still become a decent player as well? i would think there's still a good chance the eagles re-sign stallworth (or at least try to), it will just depend on the market. i really do think they could use him again next year.

I'm not buying it. They've said the same thing before signing Owens and then again last Summer and look what happened? They've obviously learned from their mistakes. I think despite what Heckert, Banner and Reid will say, they'll make a very strong push at re-signing Stallworth. He clearly made this team better when he played, more importantly he seems like a good guy (definitely not your typical #1 receiver), and he obviously likes it here. If they dont make at least a solid attempt to resign him, there should be at the very least a solid backup plan in place. They can say whatever they want in January and February, the bottom line is they wont shove Baskett and Lewis down our throats next season.

avant may still become a decent player as well? i would think there's still a good chance the eagles re-sign stallworth (or at least try to), it will just depend on the market. i really do think they could use him again next year.

i think avant is coming along well too...and note they didnt say they wouldnt re-sign donte just that it wouldnt be done prior to FA...so yeah there is still a chance he keeps his wings(and I would like to see him stay) and I dont think it would be a negative for him to be here next yr

Brown is a stud, and baskett and avant will be good WR....but Stallworth is exactly what we need. Look, if someone offers him 35M for 5 years, I understand letting him go, but to not come out with a "we're keeping our important guys" message on him seems wrong

I'd take Avant over Baskett.

I'd take Avant over Baskett.

Not sure yet myself, but I'd rather have both coming off the bench to sub in for Stallworth and Brown (or join them in a 3/4 WR set) with Greg Lewis seeing the field about 3 x a game. Assuming it's either:

WR1 Stallworth

WR2 Brown

WR3 Baskett

WR4 Avant

WR5 Lewis

vs

WR1 Brown

WR2 Baskett

WR3 Avant

WR4 Lewis

WR5 Bloom

meaning they don't bring in another high end FA or rookie that slides up....I'd rahter have option 1 than option 2 regardless of order of Baskett and Avant

can anyone else think of an instance when a free agent left the eagles for a hugh paycheck somewhere else and actually earned the contract they got?

Simon was a good part of why the Colts defense did well last season. Of course he was MIA all this season with that mysterious non-sports related injury, but the Colts were trying to get out paying him too.

Was it ever announced what his "injury" actually was? I had heard rumors it was either weight or arthritis related (or both) but nothing official.

Simon was a good part of why the Colts defense did well last season. Of course he was MIA all this season with that mysterious non-sports related injury, but the Colts were trying to get out paying him too.

Was it ever announced what his "injury" actually was? I had heard rumors it was either weight or arthritis related (or both) but nothing official.

i think it was a hyperextended stomach.

man, does the front office think unused cap space rolls over or somethign - everyyear other than the year we brought in Kearse and TO we seem to have a crapload of space....and hold it all season

Actually, I believe it does roll-over (kinda).

Specifically, I believe that 50% of any unsused space rolls over into the next year's available cap room for each team, and the Eagles have been using this tactic for years to build up flexiblity to do things other teams can't.

It also, somehow, relates to giving players bonuses that they don't attain ... not sure really how it works in the details, although there have been a post or two on this in the last year or so.

Are there going to be any other noteworthy UFA WR's this year? If not, that is probably the best thing Stallworth has going for him. I would venture to say most teams would look at his injuries and start with a question mark or at least know it could be a gamble.

Unrestricted Free Agents

Drew Bennett - Tennessee

Mike Furrey - Detroit

Kevin Curtis - St. Louis

Ashley Lelie - Atlanta

Alvis Whitted - Oakland

Bobby Wade - Tennessee

Travis Taylor - Minnesota

Shaun McDonald - St. Louis

Eric Moulds - Houston

Billy McMullen - Minnesota

Restricted Free Agents