[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh, the humanity!

Ramhock

I am looking for higher paying day job. But in a few months, if I have no luck, I will need the dreaded 2nd job. I know there are a few pizza delieverers, anyone else "enjoying" a stress-free 2nd job?

I'm not doing a second job, but my buddy is doing one at a Best Buy. He says it is pretty easy and he gets outstanding discounts on everything in the store (read: 5% over cost).

Last year I had a 2nd job working as a janitor at one of the town elementary schools. I worked 4 hours per night, M-F. Great pay, worked by myself, and had the weekends off.

It got to be a grind, and I got a better paying day job so I was able to quit it, but it was a pretty decent job while I had it. Mind you, I was working for the city, so I think they may have paid better than working for a private cleaning firm.

I used to deliver pizzas and loved every minute of it, for what that's worth. :D

I used to do some free lance writing on the internets on the side. But the hours were long and I didn't get access to the corporate jet or condo in Maui, so I had to quit. The bosses were cool though, and almost never sexually harassed me, which was nice.

Edited by yo mama

I was in that situation myself so I just started my own web development company hoping to get 1 or 2 jobs a month but it got rolling really fast. I am currently booked up through October with jobs and make more than my day job.

Of course this stopped me in my tracks with school and I am making a serious attempt to quit working my day job all together and just going for it balls to the wall on my own.

I used to do some free lance writing on the internets on the side. But the hours were long and I didn't get access to the corporate jet or condo in Maui, so I had to quit. The bosses were cool though, and almost never sexually harassed me, which was nice.

Yeah, especially since that one boss guy has to stuff his bra. :D

What about bartending ? Im not sure how much the coarse costs by you but I know people that make some great side cash . I actually got my real estate liscence for extra cash but to be honest havent had much time to do much with it..I keep it active but havent cashed in like I thought I would..If I get a word of mouth listing from family or friends though its pretty good..Its always good to have I guess

I was doing some referring of High School soccer games and this year I'm coaching a JV soccer team for the high school. Problem is it's only 1/4 of the year.

I can umpire high school baseball but I don't feel like it.

I used to referee soccer too but quit because of a back injury and an increasingly short temper with coaches.

I was in that situation myself so I just started my own web development company hoping to get 1 or 2 jobs a month but it got rolling really fast. I am currently booked up through October with jobs and make more than my day job.

Of course this stopped me in my tracks with school and I am making a serious attempt to quit working my day job all together and just going for it balls to the wall on my own.

How the heck did you drum up so much work in so little time? Especially in web dev, where the market is so packed with folks willing to do it on the cheap?

How the heck did you drum up so much work in so little time? Especially in web dev, where the market is so packed with folks willing to do it on the cheap?

I got insanely lucky. I did a website at a reduced price for a fellow huddler. Then this one guy here in Maryland who does high end custom design stone work saw the site (my neighbor knew about the site I did for the huddle guy and directed his friend to check it out because he was looking for a web designer.) and asked me if I could do one for him. Once I was done he paid me, then re-hired me to build him a second more interactive site in flash. During that time period the person he buys his marble, stone, granite and all of that stuff from saw his website. That dude owns an international construction firm that is currently building resorts in India. The thing is he build his website from one of those boxes you buy at staples.

I couldn’t’ believe he didn’t have a website that was professional and that he wanted me to build his. Turns out he wants 8 of them to be built. One for his construction side of the shop, one for his stone importing side, one for his financing firm he just bought into to, one for his single family home business, one for his commercial construction deal, one for his vacation home and all of those would link back to his main one and then three other ones that are not related to his main company that are actually his brother’s business.

I quoted him individual prices on each website and he agreed. Then the dude who does the custom stone work had five of his friends (people he sub contracts out to) who each own various contracting companies (e.g. electrician, house framer, plumber) need websites (though these will be much smaller and price at around $1000 each and really easy to build.)

Then finally the North Carolina Association of Home Inspectors came across my website and asked me for a proposal to do their site. I’m still waiting to hear back from them if they accept it or not.

So with that (not including the Home Inspectors job) I’m booked up through October. I’ve hired two people and paying them for server side scripting and setting up of their server.

So far, so good. I really need to get my a$$ in gear and set up the business accounts and stuff.

I got really really really lucky on this. The right person who had the right connections fell into my lap and if it wasn't for him I would have only gotten 1 job from my website not including the huddler friend.

So it was all through connections.

Edited by cliaz

I do the pizza delivery thing 3 nights a week- great "daily expense" cash- I work anywhere from 15-18 hours and take in from $250-$350 in cash per week-paid at the end of each daily shift.

The place I work for is a privately owned place that's been around for almost 20 years in the same spot. The owners have built up a very good customer base- On a Friday night with 7 drivers you'll take between 20-30 deliveries each. and it's a fast clock when you are running around all night- you get to listen to football, baseball, etc. on the radio all night (*satellite radio a must!) not bad work at all. I actually dread going to my bore-ass 9-5 more than I do my 2nd job FWIW.

I got insanely lucky. I did a website at a reduced price for a fellow huddler. Then this one guy here in Maryland who does high end custom design stone work saw the site (my neighbor knew about the site I did for the huddle guy and directed his friend to check it out because he was looking for a web designer.) and asked me if I could do one for him. Once I was done he paid me, then re-hired me to build him a second more interactive site in flash. During that time period the person he buys his marble, stone, granite and all of that stuff from saw his website. That dude owns an international construction firm that is currently building resorts in India. The thing is he build his website from one of those boxes you buy at staples.

I couldn’t’ believe he didn’t have a website that was professional and that he wanted me to build his. Turns out he wants 8 of them to be built. One for his construction side of the shop, one for his stone importing side, one for his financing firm he just bought into to, one for his single family home business, one for his commercial construction deal, one for his vacation home and all of those would link back to his main one and then three other ones that are not related to his main company that are actually his brother’s business.

I quoted him individual prices on each website and he agreed. Then the dude who does the custom stone work had five of his friends (people he sub contracts out to) who each own various contracting companies (e.g. electrician, house framer, plumber) need websites (though these will be much smaller and price at around $1000 each and really easy to build.)

Then finally the North Carolina Association of Home Inspectors came across my website and asked me for a proposal to do their site. I’m still waiting to hear back from them if they accept it or not.

So with that (not including the Home Inspectors job) I’m booked up through October. I’ve hired two people and paying them for server side scripting and setting up of their server.

So far, so good. I really need to get my a$$ in gear and set up the business accounts and stuff.

I got really really really lucky on this. The right person who had the right connections fell into my lap and if it wasn't for him I would have only gotten 1 job from my website not including the huddler friend.

So it was all through connections.

Congrats, man. That is great news.

I tried the Pizza gig, it wasn't for me, so i started tattooing and am opening a new shop as well as franchising shops to Art School grads in May. If all works out well, I will be out of the Printing biz forever, i can't wait.

I do the pizza delivery thing 3 nights a week- great "daily expense" cash- I work anywhere from 15-18 hours and take in from $250-$350 in cash per week-paid at the end of each daily shift.

The place I work for is a privately owned place that's been around for almost 20 years in the same spot. The owners have built up a very good customer base- On a Friday night with 7 drivers you'll take between 20-30 deliveries each. and it's a fast clock when you are running around all night- you get to listen to football, baseball, etc. on the radio all night (*satellite radio a must!) not bad work at all. I actually dread going to my bore-ass 9-5 more than I do my 2nd job FWIW.

Pretty much the same here. 3 nights / week and I'm making over $10 per hour consistently. Plus cheap / free food, and like Marauders said, it's mostly driving around listening to the radio ... very stress-free job. We use the cash for allowances, school lunches, and I can keep both my car and my wife's car filled with gas, and that's just from the tips, I get a check every other week around $150 - $200.

I made about 20K last year delivering pizzas as a second job...as long as you don't work for one of the big chains you'll make good money and have a blast...

no doubt about it a cool pizza place is where you should go...I listen to sports radio all night...

Edited by alexgaddis