[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh, the humanity!

Ramhock

Congrats, man. That is great news.

Thanks. It's funny how you go to do one thing (e.g. go back to school for the healthcare field) and then life dumps something totally different in your lap.

The only problem I have is I do not have a lot of time in the evenings to spend with the family like I did before but the wife said that for us to be debt free, right now it's worth it.

I am about to turn 51. I have been working a 2nd job for as long as I can remember. When the kids were small I did not want the wife working full time so I picked up the slack. When they got older the Misses went back to college, part time. She is now close to finishing but my daughter just started and hopefully my son will in another year. But to the question. I am pretty handy. I work for City Government. I was in the Plumbing Dept so I picked up some extra money doing plumbing repairs. I had enough work to keep be busy just by word of mouth. On a few occiasions I passed out fliers but that was not usually necessary. There are a lot of people out there that cannot do to the simplest home repair. Thats what led to me expanding to a Handyman Busniess. For the most part I work when I want now but there are times when I have to just get out there and do it. I do anything to the smallest plumbing repair to complete bathroom and kitchen remodels. I have been taking care of rental property for someome for the last 10 years. At times I just want to say screw it all but other times I enjoy it. When my wife starts to work in about a year I will cut way back but until then........ Last night I did 2 small plumbing repairs that took a total of 70 minutes including traveling time and made $95.00. I am cheap by the way, I could have charged $150.00 for what I did but this was for someone I have done a lot of work for. So if you are handy around the house; a small handyman busniess is the way to go. By the way I do have a busniess liscense. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks. It's funny how you go to do one thing (e.g. go back to school for the healthcare field) and then life dumps something totally different in your lap.

The only problem I have is I do not have a lot of time in the evenings to spend with the family like I did before but the wife said that for us to be debt free, right now it's worth it.

I know the feeling. Right now I have two straight illustration jobs, two interactive dev jobs, finishing my Masters in Instructional Design (another interactive dev for Master's project). I'm remodeling my kichen and having to put in overtime at work. Also, I've got my country's five hundredth anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped.

All before June. :D

Edited by cre8tiff

Pretty much the same here. 3 nights / week and I'm making over $10 per hour consistently. Plus cheap / free food, and like Marauders said, it's mostly driving around listening to the radio ... very stress-free job. We use the cash for allowances, school lunches, and I can keep both my car and my wife's car filled with gas, and that's just from the tips, I get a check every other week around $150 - $200.

Just to expand a little on the "stress-free" aspect.

1) Most of your time is spent on your own. Get a good map and a strong flashlight for reading house numbers and within a few months you should know your way around pretty well.

2) Turnover in the pizza business is hugh, if you don't get along you can always get a job down the street.

3) It's a 2nd job, you don't "need" the money. I keep in my head that I could walk away at any time (I won't) and that seems to make it so much less stressfull than my day job.

I'm gonna be working about 3 hrs a night Mon - Fri and possibly some on Saturday at a custom motorcycle shop. I'll be detailing bikes, cleaning the shop, delivering bikes to customers, probably some computer work and whatever else they need me to do. I work my full-time job from 7:00 - 3:00 so I'll still be home by 6:30 - 7:00 every night. A friend of mine also asked me if I would be interested in doing some golf club work on the side. Reshafting clubs, adjusting loft and lie and regripping...simple stuff. Something I'd do whenever he needed me. Hopefully working these part-time jobs will help us get ahead some. We're sick of living from paycheck to paycheck.

I'm gonna be working about 3 hrs a night Mon - Fri and possibly some on Saturday at a custom motorcycle shop. I'll be detailing bikes, cleaning the shop, delivering bikes to customers, probably some computer work and whatever else they need me to do. I work my full-time job from 7:00 - 3:00 so I'll still be home by 6:30 - 7:00 every night. A friend of mine also asked me if I would be interested in doing some golf club work on the side. Reshafting clubs, adjusting loft and lie and regripping...simple stuff. Something I'd do whenever he needed me. Hopefully working these part-time jobs will help us get ahead some. We're sick of living from paycheck to paycheck.

That was my driving force

I am about to turn 51. I have been working a 2nd job for as long as I can remember. When the kids were small I did not want the wife working full time so I picked up the slack. When they got older the Misses went back to college, part time. She is now close to finishing but my daughter just started and hopefully my son will in another year. But to the question. I am pretty handy. I work for City Government. I was in the Plumbing Dept so I picked up some extra money doing plumbing repairs. I had enough work to keep be busy just by word of mouth. On a few occiasions I passed out fliers but that was not usually necessary. There are a lot of people out there that cannot do to the simplest home repair. Thats what led to me expanding to a Handyman Busniess. For the most part I work when I want now but there are times when I have to just get out there and do it. I do anything to the smallest plumbing repair to complete bathroom and kitchen remodels. I have been taking care of rental property for someome for the last 10 years. At times I just want to say screw it all but other times I enjoy it. When my wife starts to work in about a year I will cut way back but until then........ Last night I did 2 small plumbing repairs that took a total of 70 minutes including traveling time and made $95.00. I am cheap by the way, I could have charged $150.00 for what I did but this was for someone I have done a lot of work for. So if you are handy around the house; a small handyman busniess is the way to go. By the way I do have a busniess liscense. Let me know if I can help.

Just out of curiosity, where are you located?

Probably not all that profitable, but...

If you can type, there has to be places that pay people to type books so they can be in e-book format.

Sit at home with a laptop, making money while "reading" a book. I'm sure the dress code and gas mileage can't be all bad.

Probably not a whole lot of applicants to beat out for the job either.

I tried the Pizza gig, it wasn't for me, so i started tattooing and am opening a new shop as well as franchising shops to Art School grads in May. If all works out well, I will be out of the Printing biz forever, i can't wait.

Nick,

Where is your shop? Me & the wife have been wanting to get inked for a while now but just never followed through.