[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wedding Gift Registries

The Irish Doggy

Yeah, I'm getting hitched. :clap:

My lady wondered during dinner last night what kind of creative things people have done for gift registries and/or found to be the most accommodating companies for returns. As I am 34 and she 28, we both have just about everything for a home and 2 of the necessities. Thus, we don't feel like we really need a bunch of stuff. Her taste is such that we can't really upgrade unless we go for ridiculously overpriced stuff, china, silver, etc. We expect to inherit 4-5 sets of silver&china anyway, so what's the point??

Anything out of the ordinary you've heard about would be welcome. We're considering charitable donations, honeymoon registries... anything other than the usual Macy's/ Williams-Sonoma/ Crate & Barrel kind of thing.

I said, if there is any place in the world that would know the answer to this question, its The Huddle. :bash:

So if you've had good or bad experiences with companies or heard some unusual/interesting ideas for wedding gift registries, please let me know.

No, you can't see her b :D :D bs.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

My lady wondered during dinner last night what kind of creative things people have done for gift registries and/or found to be the most accommodating companies for returns. As I am 34 and she 28, we both have just about everything for a home and 2 of the necessities. Thus, we don't feel like we really need a bunch of stuff. Her taste is such that we can't really upgrade unless we go for ridiculously overpriced stuff, china, silver, etc. We expect to inherit 4-5 sets of silver&china anyway, so what's the point??

Getting free stuff aside, if you have everything that you need, don't register anywhere. Ask people to just bring themselves to the wedding.

Edit, looks like H8tank beat me by about a minute.

Edited by cdrudge

I'm right there with ya, Doggy. I'm 33 and she's 29. We have a lot of "stuff", but there's things that we could use that we'd never really go out and BUY (like a food processor, REAL nice sheets, waffle maker, etc.)

I'm getting married in 2 months and we just finalized our registries a few weeks ago. We're at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target and Pampered Chef. Pampered Chef has some seriously good cooking equipment and we both like to cook. Target was good for "miscellaneous" stuff like a nice vacuum.

We thought about the honeymoon registry but the ones we looked at had a 10-15% markup fee (which makes sense, but still). If you're alright with your wedding invitees and others paying the markup for honeymoon-related expenses, I think it's a terrific idea. And of course having your guests, etc. donate to your favorite charity would be awesome too.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

i was just reading this sitting here thinking, half seriously -- hmm, what they really need is a place you can register for CASH. :D

sure enough :D

You know, that really is the truth. I would prefer an extra $50 towards a down payment or a bigger/better honeymoon over a Cuisinart. However, the lady and my future mother-in-law are convinced you have to ask for physical items or people will regift that ugly vase from ole' senile Aunt Myrtle.

Its not that we're really well off or anything, we just don't have the need for items in the typical wedding gift price range.

You know, that really is the truth. I would prefer an extra $50 towards a down payment or a bigger/better honeymoon over a Cuisinart. However, the lady and my future mother-in-law are convinced you have to ask for physical items or people will regift that ugly vase from ole' senile Aunt Myrtle.

Its not that we're really well off or anything, we just don't have the need for items in the typical wedding gift price range.

well, most registries allow you to put on gift cards of varying amounts as well. so like if there's an $800 set of cookware you want and don't think anyone will buy it you can go that route.

Crate & Barrell will give you cash back for any gifts that you receive and don't want. I don't think other places do that - most offer store credit.

So if you are all worried about people buying you gifts that you don't want, then register at C&B for a whole bunch of crap and then return it.

Edited by justin