[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ugly Bear Fans

Ground Chuck

When the Bears came to STL for the Rams game, I was there. I have never seen a more rude and classless crowd. There were several fights right in front of us, and some of the worst language I have ever heard at a football game. I was much more upset at the season ticket holders who sold these clowns thier tickets.

I want to echo I have been to Arrowhead as a visitor as well, and got a little ribbing (tailgate ribbing too, mmmm), but was certainly not assaulted or harassed while wearing my Rams gear.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

(although I never really considered the Cubs as an enemy--I mostly felt sorry for them)

The crosstown series in Chicago is VERY nasty. I went to a couple of these games at The Cell back around '99 and 2000 (or, I guess it was "Comiskey II" back then... whatever) and there was significant beer-spilling and even punches thrown in my section each time.

The worst visiting fans I've dealt with had to be the Indians fans back in the late '90s (since The Jake was always sold out back then, so they often made the trip to Chicago). Oh my God, what a bunch of arrogant jackasses... you would've thought that the Indians had just won four straight World Series or something. They were much worse than the transplant Yankees fans. Of course, I'm doing all the laughing now, as the Sox have their WS trophy and the Indians have jack squat. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Classlessness is endemic and it's a minority of beer-fuelled idiots is all. Every team has them. I had a glass beer bottle pitched at the back of my head this year at the Metrodome when I went there for the Bears game in my Urlacher shirt. It missed me and hit an elderly lady (Vikings fan) on the head two rows down.

Whaddya gonna do? :D

You can either not go to the games or hope the teams take this stuff more seriously pretty soon. Right now I don't think the NFL worries about this all that much and the teams are mostly interested in selling vast quantities of beer.

Classlessness is endemic and it's a minority of beer-fuelled idiots is all. Every team has them. I had a glass beer bottle pitched at the back of my head this year at the Metrodome when I went there for the Bears game in my Urlacher shirt. It missed me and hit an elderly lady (Vikings fan) on the head two rows down. of beer.

I'd say that if it's a playoff game or a division rivalry it's gonna be a bit more heated.

So far I've been to Packer games in Detroit, in San Diego, in Cincinnati, and in Seattle - in almost all cases, the opposing fans were terrific - some verbal sparring but it was all in fun (my favorite was when the Bengals fans were going "the Packers suck!" - we kept responding "um, duh - is that all ya got?"; then I told them I couldn't find the section of the stadium where they honored their Hall of Fame players and world champion teams, and asked if they could direct me to it) and there were many beers drank in the spirit of good fellowship.

Usually if I run into someone rooting for the opposing team at Miller Park, I'll be as friendly as possible - had a great conversation with a Phillies fan this past season (my wife accused me of finding a new man-crush). Of course, Cubs fans tend to exhaust one's patience in about 3 or 4 seconds. :D

Ugly Bears' fans = redundant.

If you really believe that, then you live in a vacuum! but I digress....

I thought long and hard about repyling to this post so here goes......

The Katrina signs/comments were way over the line. As were the jokes that were plastered all over the internet within 24 hours of that tragedy.

The pushing/shoving I saw on the news yesterday were ridiculous. Hard to believe adults can act that way. And these are not the "scum of the earth" income wise. They couldn't afford the ticket, parking, etc. These are middle and upper income scum, which makes it worse in a way, as they should know better.

I don't go to other stadiums often. Brewer's Stadium a couple of times over the last few years is about it. I had no problems, but I wore nothing to show my affiliation. Friends of mine go frequently and their worst experience was Lambeau. They had beer thrown at them, they were spat upon, and intimidated both verbally and physically. Similar in Detroit.

I'm pretty sure ALL teams have thug fans. I know Chicago isn't the only one and I know that they don't have a monopoly on it. The beer/water incident was a 'knee-jerk' as was Brown's "celebration". No excuse but impulsive. What team (Browns?) was it that threw beer bottles a few years ago. All stoopid juvenile behavior!

I love Chicago, and hate to see it get a black eye! I know for a fact most visitors here will tell you that we have very friendly people here.

BUT... Sports FANATICS+Booze+emotions=BIG TROUBLE! Age, or better lack thereof, I'm sorry to say is also a factor. In the words of the GREAT Judge Judy...."Too much testosterone!". Many years ago a friend of mine got into a fight at the old Chicago Stadium (Hockey) and was almost thrown off the second balcony. He grabed the rail, was more than half over it when someone grabbed his leg before he went over. He was totally not at fault. And IIRC, it was a Rangers or Flyers game. Is this unique??? I think not!

I know for a fact the security guards at Soldier field and other Chi venues are vigilant and have no tollerance for verbal and physical confrontations. I've seen it and most of these guys are Chi Cops! If you've ever been to Chi Never EVER mess w/ a Chi cop! They are big, and tough and have a "Sort-it-Out-Later" mentality, if you get my drift.

What else can I say? I apologize for my town! But lets not be so shocked that this can happen, as I'm sure it happens "ANY GIVEN SUNDAY".

OK.....Let my stoning begin!

Friends of mine go frequently and their worst experience was Lambeau. They had beer thrown at them, they were spat upon, and intimidated both verbally and physically.

I'm pretty sure ALL teams have thug fans. I know Chicago isn't the only one and I know that they don't have a monopoly on it.

OK.....Let my stoning begin!

Nope, no disagreements here. I haven't been to Chi-town for a sporting event (hope to hit Wrigley and Comiskey one of these years) but I HAVE had the good fortune to meet several Bear fans and they're all good peoples.

I recall a few years back that a couple women from Chicago said they came to Lambeau and had ethnic slurs yelled their way all game - I was SHOCKED that that would happen in Lambeau, not because Green Bay lacks racist knuckleheads (given the lack of diversity in the city, it's probably worse in that respect than just about any other NFL venue) but because I figured there was no way at least ONE of the people seated in the vicinity of the women and the knuckleheads wouldn't have reported it to a security guard.

Fans need to self-police - security guards can't be everywhere with eyes in the backs of their heads, and a hometown fan reporting another hometown fan may carry a bit more cred than a visitor running to the security guard.

But the worst I've ever seen was two Bears fans IN Mile High. They screamed and swore and tried to pick fights with everyone in the stands.

probably some wrestlers, i had some friends that liked to do this wherever they went. hell, i even saw one of the guys and his DAD picking fights with people one time.

anyway, i don't think i'm at liberty to apologize for what idiots do or don't do. geographic location aside, they are every where. some people are just drunk obnoxious idiots that take things too far. every town has em. chicago is a big city, they probably have a few more than other cities. they suck wherever they are and ruin a good experience for the rest of us.

the only place i ever got into a fight was at a cubs game. it wasn't about me hating the cubs either. it was a comment an idiot made about my large breasted girlfriend that made me snap. i was ushered away and ejected by security but not before i leg swept the ja go ff and tied him up like a pretzel. my girlfriend was most impressed and needless to say, i had one of the best knobjobs of my life.

What team (Browns?) was it that threw beer bottles a few years ago. All stoopid juvenile behavior!

And unfortunately Saints fans followed suit the next day in their MNF game vs the Rams. It

wasn't nearly as bad or prolonged as the Browns game but unexcusable nonetheless.

Yep, I remember that. Weren't those plastic bottles, though?

Indians fans also pelted Albert Belle with batteries when he returned to The Jake after signing with the White Sox.

What the hell is the difference? You shouldn't throw anything!

What the hell is the difference? You shouldn't throw anything!

NOD! And I also hate booing your own team! :D What does that solve? :bash:

Well except in the case of Shoop! :D

Throw in the "playoff fever" and plenty of alcohol and this is what happened.

Sports FANATICS+Booze+emotions=BIG TROUBLE!
Sadly I think you both have pointed out what the real cause of stupid fans. Alcohol. I bet you in almost all cases where fans act in the most classless ways that if you removed the alcohol from the equation there would have not been a problem. I know alcohol will never be banned and that limiting the amout people drink is not practical, but I wonder what games would be like without it.

Good thing that you didn't go to Philly, Foxboro, or the Meadowlands.

Went to the Saints game in Foxboro a year ago November. Other than trips to Tampa, the New England game was probably the best experience I've ever had in a stadium as a visitor. Only the typical ribbing, which I said in my first post should be expected in any stadium.

But mine was not an isolated incident in Chicago this past weekend. For the past 3 days I've heard constant stories on local New Orleans radio about how poorly people were treated. Saintsreport.com is full of stories as well. It really was way beyond what anyone would consider "typical" fan hazing, and if I were in anyway associated with Chicago, I'd be embarrassed.

You can blame it on alcohol, playoff fever, whatever you want. All I know is, 2 weekends ago, people were tailgating from 8am until almost 7pm before the Eagles game, and I never saw or heard of any problems in the Dome that night. In fact, had a great time on Bourbon Street after the game having drinks with many Eagle fans until 4am, and all of them said they couldn't believe how little taunting they took in the stadium.

Went to the Saints game in Foxboro a year ago November. Other than trips to Tampa, the New England game was probably the best experience I've ever had in a stadium as a visitor. Only the typical ribbing, which I said in my first post should be expected in any stadium.

But mine was not an isolated incident in Chicago this past weekend. For the past 3 days I've heard constant stories on local New Orleans radio about how poorly people were treated. Saintsreport.com is full of stories as well. It really was way beyond what anyone would consider "typical" fan hazing, and if I were in anyway associated with Chicago, I'd be embarrassed.

You can blame it on alcohol, playoff fever, whatever you want. All I know is, 2 weekends ago, people were tailgating from 8am until almost 7pm before the Eagles game, and I never saw or heard of any problems in the Dome that night. In fact, had a great time on Bourbon Street after the game having drinks with many Eagle fans until 4am, and all of them said they couldn't believe how little taunting they took in the stadium.

Ya know, at first I really felt for ya, and I'd say it's pretty obvious from my first post in this thread. Moreover, anyone here can tell you that I'm pretty much as "close" to Chicago as I am the New Orleans region (family-wise).

But now you're starting to sound like a whiner. You believe everything the media says? You believe everything that's posted on the SaintsReport message boards? Give me a break.

Bottom line: it sucks that you had to go through what you went through. But I can guarantee this is not just a "Chicago" thing. And to say Saint fans would NEVER taunt/harass/spill beer on opposing fans/etc. because of ONE night out with some Eagle fans is ridiculous.

Get over it.

Edit: Sorry, thought this post was by the original thread poster. Even still... come on people. To pin this on Chicago and their fans... and Chicago and their fans solely is downright stupid.

Edited by darin3