[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ugly Bear Fans

Ground Chuck

But mine was not an isolated incident in Chicago this past weekend. For the past 3 days I've heard constant stories on local New Orleans radio about how poorly people were treated. Saintsreport.com is full of stories as well. It really was way beyond what anyone would consider "typical" fan hazing, and if I were in anyway associated with Chicago, I'd be embarrassed.

Look Cordo...I'm sorry you had a crap ass experience.

So, are you telling me that there weren't Saints fans that came up to Chicago and weren't complete ass wipes themselves?

Tell me this, because I know for a fact that there were some. We ran into a few of them in the train station.

Of course my example is an isolated incident, and I was probably the only person that it happened to.

So, I'm supposed to be embarrassed because there were some people in the stadium that were complete A-Holes? People that I don't know? People that I don't associate myself with?

I'm not telling any Saints fan to be embarrassed because there were a few jokers in a train station acting like fools.

Get a grip on that statement.

Edited by gilthorp

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look Cordo...I'm sorry you had a crap ass experience.

So, are you telling me that there weren't Saints fans that came up to Chicago and weren't complete ass wipes themselves?

Tell me this, because I know for a fact that there were some. We ran into a few of them in the train station.

Of course my example is an isolated incident, and I was probably the only person that it happened to.

So, I'm supposed to be embarrassed because there were some people in the stadium that were complete A-Holes? People that I don't know? People that I don't associate myself with?

I'm not telling any Saints fan to be embarrassed because there were a few jokers in a train station acting like fools.

Get a grip on that statement.

Look, if the Jets or Giants played in the Dome, and if I saw signs or heard comments about finishing what the terrorists didn't on 9/11, hell yeah, I'd be embarrassed. And if after any home game, if I heard or read about visiting women fans being spit on and manhandled, I'd be appalled. Doesn't matter that I don't know or associate with people like that, as a fan of the team and a citizen of the city, yes, I take that personally. Obviously, you don't. So be it.

My point of reference is pretty good on this. I've been to almost 200 pro football games in my life, in close to half the stadiums in the NFL. I grew up in a family of Baltimore Colt season ticket holders, and started going to games when I was 5 years old. Went to 3 or 4 Colt games a year until I went off to college. I've been a Saints season ticket holder for over 15 years, and have missed 2 home games in that span. I go to at least one away game a year. I've seen and heard a lot of things over the years, all I'm saying is, this was above and beyond anything I've experienced before in terms of poor taste and treatment of visiting fans. Period, end of story.

I was at the game and there were two Saints couples sitting in front of me. We gave their some friendly banter but there were fans who were relentless. That is going to happen anywhere for the most part. To say that it's a "Chicago" thing is kinda unfair IMO. Fans are fans anywhere. When Reggie Bush scored that TD, they def turned around and let us have it. And we took it.

And I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here, but at the game, many of the Saints fans kept on yelling, "WE DESERVE TO WIN THIS GAME BECAUSE OF KATRINA." I'm sorry, but that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Katrina was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. Me personally, I donated tons of time and money to the efforts of fixing stuff there, and my prayers are with them all the time. But to say you "deserve" to win because of it, give me a break.

Edited by Goopster24

And I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here, but at the game, many of the Saints fans kept on yelling, "WE DESERVE TO WIN THIS GAME BECAUSE OF KATRINA." I'm sorry, but that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Katrina was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. Me personally, I donated tons of time and money to the efforts of fixing stuff there, and my prayers are with them all the time. But to say you "deserve" to win because of it, give me a break.

Well put. Saints fans can dish it out but, the second they get some of it thrown back at them it is considered "tasteless", "ugly", and "cold hearted". If Saints fans want to use Katrina as a "krutch" or a reason as to why they deserve the win then they should be prepared for comebacks such as "The Bears are going to knock you down like Katrina". I honestly think it's kind of clever.

Well put. Saints fans can dish it out but, the second they get some of it thrown back at them it is considered "tasteless", "ugly", and "cold hearted". If Saints fans want to use Katrina as a "krutch" or a reason as to why they deserve the win then they should be prepared for comebacks such as "The Bears are going to knock you down like Katrina". I honestly think it's kind of clever.

:D

I lived in SE Texas for a while and the people down there were incredibly nice... even those that knew I was from Illinois.

That's better than in Illinoian can expect in Wisconsin or Indiana, that's for sure. :D

Lived in Oklahoma City for 5 years. Vacationed several times throughout the Gulf Coast.

Born and raised in Iowa. I speak from personal experience.

Ever think it might be just you? :bash:

AGREE!!!! Show me a city that has such "great fans" that they welcome opponent fans w/ open arms? :D

I would agrue that New Orleans is pretty much as close as you'll come to that. Of course that is homer opinion, but I've never personally witnessed an opposing fan treated with disrepect. Rather the majority of the time it's the exact opposite.

I agree 100%, it makes me sick to see some people using that in that manner. Unfortunately some people do see things that way, but I don't believe it can be compared with some of the comments and signs that were made.

Give me a break, how is that dishing it out? How can you equate somebody thinking they deserve to win because of Katrina with people using it for ammo? And BTW, how is it considered a "comeback" when those Bear fans had signs made up that they brought to the game? Would you consider it "kinda clever" to make up sign that say "we're gonna blow you up like the Twin Towers" if the Giants were visiting? :D

I think that a "Hurricane Ditka" reference would've been funnier. BTW, whatever happened to that guy?

That's better than in Illinoian can expect in Wisconsin or Indiana, that's for sure. :D

Actually, I was treated pretty nicely during the 7 years that I lived in Indiana. :D

I was going to watch the game with a buddy and a Saints fan friend of his. Problem was, the Saints fan (Marty) was so tense he didn't want me to come over because, in his words: " he would have stabbed me." I believe he probably would have tried.

Now, does that embarass any Saints fans? Even my friend Dave (our mutual friend) seriosuly believes he would have tried.

I was going to watch the game with a buddy and a Saints fan friend of his. Problem was, the Saints fan (Marty) was so tense he didn't want me to come over because, in his words: " he would have stabbed me." I believe he probably would have tried.

Now, does that embarass any Saints fans? Even my friend Dave (our mutual friend) seriosuly believes he would have tried.

He did it in the comfort of his own home. Apples and oranges my friend.

I think the difference is the scale of which it was done. Judging by what all I've read & seen reported a good number of the Saints fans that visited were treated badly...and by badly I mean above & beyond the taunting you should expect at an opposing teams game. By no means do I think all Chicago fans are like that, in fact I know otherwise from experience with you all here. Maybe it's just a difference in lattitude, but in general the folks down here are embarrased when they hear about any visitors being treated badly regardless of the reasons for the visit. As I stated before, we all take pride in our southern hospitality and when somebody misrepresents our region we feel it reflects on us.

Edited by rajncajn

Over react much ? Maybe this is hitting just a little too close to home. I stand by what I said, and have no doubts to the veracity of all I've read and heard. And there is nothing to "get over", said my piece and will do my talking with my disposable dollars elsewhere, simple as that.

Same question.

while it sucks what happened to cordo, shouldn't we as americans be embarrassed about this, not just chicagoans? if you are not going to pinpoint the exact fans, why does it matter if you look at them as chicagoans or americans? they are both aren't they??

Or should we just admit that some of our number are Megan Foxbags, same as every other country / city / county / continent? It's just the way it is, unfortunately.

while it sucks what happened to cordo, shouldn't we as americans be embarrassed about this, not just chicagoans? if you are not going to pinpoint the exact fans, why does it matter if you look at them as chicagoans or americans? they are both aren't they??

Yes we should if it were an international competition and it were foreigners who were treated that way.