[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Selling used books or donating used books

twiley

I've got boxes and boxes of used books that I've accumulated over the years and some have only been read once. Fiction, non-fiction, paperback, hardcover... you name it. I've even got some crazy fantasy football book written by some weirdo in Boston. :D

My wife suggested grouping books together and then selling them on ebay which doesn't sound too bad but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with selling used books. My only concern with ebay is the amount of work required to group these books together and then post them online. I easily have over 1000 books that I want to get rid of.

Worst case, which isn't bad, I drop them off at some charity and they can pass them on.

Guest NewbieTewl

Any first editions pre 1985 might be worth looking up on ABE.com. You could then post on EBAY, knowing an approximate value. Several relatively modern books have good value, even in the 70's and early 80's. After that first runs became much larger and first editions lose much of their value.

Other than that donations or $.25 per book in a yard sale seem a good bet. Often used book stores will give you credit for books which you can then use to purchase...more books!

I always thought it would be a good idea to do a book exchange here. Post the titles you have, and we could just give 'em to each other. We all pretty much have paypal: just have the receiver of the book pay the postage.

great idea .... :D ...except every book would have a hole cut in it..... :D

if you wanna get the most money for them, see what each one is going for used on amazon.com and list the ones it would be worth your while to sell. what's left i would advise just donating somewhere.

Well, depending on how ambitious he is and/or how much he wants to maximize potential profits, he could do the amazon.com thing, THEN do the 25-cents-a-book yard sale deal, and then donate what's left - just about ANY library or thrift store is usually pretty happy to take donations.

I've got boxes and boxes of used books that I've accumulated over the years and some have only been read once. Fiction, non-fiction, paperback, hardcover... you name it. I've even got some crazy fantasy football book written by some weirdo in Boston. :D

My wife suggested grouping books together and then selling them on ebay which doesn't sound too bad but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with selling used books. My only concern with ebay is the amount of work required to group these books together and then post them online. I easily have over 1000 books that I want to get rid of.

Worst case, which isn't bad, I drop them off at some charity and they can pass them on.

Use them here... :D

I always thought it would be a good idea to do a book exchange here. Post the titles you have, and we could just give 'em to each other. We all pretty much have paypal: just have the receiver of the book pay the postage.

i like this idea ..i got some Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys to trade or lend out :D

You should see if there is a nearby Prison or Hospital Library that would accept book donations.

Or a library. Books are very welcome at jails and hospitals. Local city or county jails may want them as well.

Some used book stores allow swaps, 2 for 1 for example.

Edited by Randall

My wife has taken the hobby of selling her books on Half.com She has a friend she grew up with (they are both librarians) that she competes with. I have been carrying these boxes of books around the country for years as we moved around. Now she is bringing in about $75 to $100 a month off her sued books.