[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Team cap space

Randall

NFL Salary Cap Space, Per Team

Stephen F. Holder, St. Petersburg Times - [Full Article]

Stephen F. Holder of the St. Petersburg Times provides the ranking of teams with the most cap space. The consecutive increases in the cap have raised it $15-million in two seasons to about $109-million per team. The numbers can change based on bonuses, roster moves, contract extensions, etc. Teams with high draft picks will need to reserve considerable cap space for their picks. This year, the free-agent period begins at midnight March 2.

Cap money available

1. San Francisco $42.1M

2. Buffalo $39.7M

3. Arizona $36.7M

4. Tennessee $36M

5. Cleveland $33.3M

6. Minnesota $32.4M

7. (tie)Jacksonville $32M

7. St. Louis $32M

9. New England $30.4M

10. Cincinnati $30.2M

11. New Orleans $29.9M

12. Green Bay $29.5M

13. New York Jets $26.1M

14. San Diego $24.6M

15. Tampa Bay $24.2M

16. Detroit $23.8M

17. Chicago $23.4M

18. Seattle $22.5M

19. Dallas $21.5M

20. Miami $17.8M

21. New York Giants $15.7M

22. Oakland $14.1M

23. Houston $13.3M

24. Atlanta $10M

25. Philadelphia $12.4M

26. Denver $7.6M

27. Kansas City $7M

28. Baltimore $5.7M

29. Indianapolis $4.9M

30. Carolina $3.4M

31. Washington $951,000

32. Pittsburgh $150,000

These numbers are fluid and can change based on bonuses, roster moves, contract extensions, etc. Teams with high draft picks, such as the Bucs, will need to reserve considerable cap space for their picks.

Figures are approximate. Sources: media reports, club officials and NFL Players Association

It's funny - down here in Tampa all they talk about is "all the cap space" and how Gruden will probably blow it...and they are int he middle of the pack, adn 24M ain't really that much.

Eagles at the bottom - taht's a change.

How do you have 42M avail - man, the 9ers with some smart moves are going to be strong for a few years.

:D

So, do you think that BB will re-sign Asante Samuel?

I think there's less than a 5% chance.

And so long as they stick to their philosophy, I am fine with it.

I want this team to keep drafting well, locking up their young players to medium-long deals, and to keep looking for saavy vets to plug holes with. And I don't want them handing out hugh signing bonuses or contracts that create a log jam for the team in future years.

Samuel is going to command some serious cake, and I know the organization will wish him well but won't pony up. A Franchise tag is possible, but I don't think the team will want a disruptive, unhappy player in their lockerroom. Samuel is anything but that at this point (he's one of my best friend's next door neighbor...very quiet, reserved, respectful person. Humble), but if the team takes away his opportunity for a big payday (same friend and Asante live in a decent, but not worthy of a millionare townhouse complex), I think he would not react well. And I don't see it happening.

With Wilson and and Gay to be back next year, and with the play of Hobbs and Sanders, I think they will turn to that group of 4. Harrison may or may not be back...I have no insight on that yet. I think the players I just mentioned are your core Pats DBs next year.

EDIT TO ADD: The prpblem with Asante is that he has had 1 good season. Had he been lighting it up his whole career here, I think he might be in Seymour/Brady land and get the big contract. Also, while he made a lot of picks this year, he also took some serious gambles and gave up some big plays. He's not Champ Bailey at this point in his career. He might get there, but not yet.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Interesting. Your point about Samuel only having one good year is a good one. That said, that defense is getting old quickly (Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, etc.) and I'd want to lock up some good young talent if I were BB. Hobbs is pretty decent and Gay is OK, but neither of those guys look like they're going to be top-tier CBs. I'd go ahead and dump Dillon and Harrison and use that saved cap room to ink Samuel now and possibly Wilfork in another year or two.

28. Baltimore $5.7M

LB Adalius Thomas is the ONLY key free agent we have to worry about.

FB Ovie Mughallie is a restricted free agent.

Local media also expects that Jamal Lewis will be released. His '4' year deal signed last year was basically a 1 year deal that allowed him to be cut after this season with no big cap hit. Kind of a try him for one more year type thing, and be able to keep him if we like him.

I think all needs can be addressed via the draft. We can more Samarri Rolle to nickel back and promote one of our 2nd year CBs.

Interesting. Your point about Samuel only having one good year is a good one. That said, that defense is getting old quickly (Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, etc.) and I'd want to lock up some good young talent if I were BB. Hobbs is pretty decent and Gay is OK, but neither of those guys look like they're going to be top-tier CBs. I'd go ahead and dump Dillon and Harrison and use that saved cap room to ink Samuel now and possibly Wilfork in another year or two.

Wouldn't you have made the same statement about Samuel before this season? I would have.

ETA: Also, those players I mention are all as young as or younger than Samuel. This accomplishes their goal of getting younger/staying young.

The LB situation is another one entirely.

ETA2: I expect cap money to be used on Wilfork and Warren. That D-Line is the key to the defense.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

LB Adalius Thomas is the ONLY key free agent we have to worry about.

FB Ovie Mughallie is a restricted free agent.

Local media also expects that Jamal Lewis will be released. His '4' year deal signed last year was basically a 1 year deal that allowed him to be cut after this season with no big cap hit. Kind of a try him for one more year type thing, and be able to keep him if we like him.

I think all needs can be addressed via the draft. We can move Samarri Rolle to nickel back and promote one of our 2nd year CBs.

Agreed. I think if Jamal is kept, he will have a $4m charge to the cap under his current contract.

Wouldn't you have made the same statement about Samuel before this season? I would have.

ETA: Also, those players I mention are all as young as or younger than Samuel. This accomplishes their goal of getting younger/staying young.

The LB situation is another one entirely.

ETA2: I expect cap money to be used on Wilfork and Warren. That D-Line is the key to the defense.

Wasn't Gay acquired off of the scrap heap a couple of years ago? He's played relatively well, but I'm sure that a lot of that has to do with the system. I may be wrong, but I don't foresee him being on Samuel's level. While he didn't have the gaudy INT numbers, I thought that Samuel looked pretty good last year. But you may be correct that BB is taking the Mike Shanahan approach to his DBs.

Agreed about Wilfork, but I'm not convinced that Warren is a lock to get a huge deal. NE's defense is based around its LBs. Seau is done, Bruschi is already mulling retirement, and Vrabel is entering the downside of his career. If the Bears don't franchise-tag Lance Briggs (or do so and then let him walk in '08), I throw a bunch of money at him if I'm BB.

Wasn't Gay acquired off of the scrap heap a couple of years ago? He's played relatively well, but I'm sure that a lot of that has to do with the system. I may be wrong, but I don't foresee him being on Samuel's level. While he didn't have the gaudy INT numbers, I thought that Samuel looked pretty good last year. But you may be correct that BB is taking the Mike Shanahan approach to his DBs.

Agreed about Wilfork, but I'm not convinced that Warren is a lock to get a huge deal. NE's defense is based around its LBs. Seau is done, Bruschi is already mulling retirement, and Vrabel is entering the downside of his career. If the Bears don't franchise-tag Lance Briggs (or do so and then let him walk in '08), I throw a bunch of money at him if I'm BB.

Gay was signed as a UDFA out of LSU. He came with high regard from Nick Saban, and the only knock on him has been health (that was the problem coming out of LSU....he missed all or most of his senior year with injury). And the knock has been true and a problem. Which is why I see the Pats using one of their day 1 picks on a corner. But, when he has played he has been good. And FWIW, I am not saying he will reach Samuel's level, but more that he will do a good enough job in the Pats defensive scheme to start. I think he was starting over Hobbs at the start of the season :D

IMO, Warren is beter than Wilfork, and almost as good as Seymour. Wilfork has the beefy nose tackle thing going on, but Warren is a playmaker...which you just can't teach.

Briggs is a player I would not be surprised to see get top player money from the Pats. I think the thing people forget is that they aren't afraid to pay when it comes to paying the 'special' players. As folks bring up Vinatieri, I would just remond them that he didn't give the Pats a chance to counter the Colts offer. I am not saying they would have, but they didn;t have the chance. And Gostkowski is working out fine so far. As people bring up Branch, I can only say that Branch is not a 'special' player, and that the Pats offered him 4/24 with a 12 million signing bonus. The seahawks gave him 6/39...but he'll never see the back end of that deal. The difference was that the Pats would only extend him, and would not renegotiate the current year's deal.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

:D

And people wonder why we Pats fans keep on keepin' the faith.

I dont get it.. Pats every year are in the Playoff's and serious contenders. Yet they've got to be one of the STINGIEST teams out there. Got a very smart owner!!

Although I'm a fan, it's too bad Irsay cant take a hint!! I mean last year they paid Simon $5M/year for 5 years. What did he do last year? What did he do this year?? Ugh.. Frustrating! - But hey, they made the big dance this year.. And I'm going to hate to see it!! Colts are going to be in pretty big trouble with the cap here shortly. I mean they're already almost at the limit, yet Freeney is a free agent this year. They'll find a way to keep him, but eventually something's got to give.

swerski...ty warren has been virtually unblockable all year..i think hes certainly in line for a raise...in line ahead of wilfork

i would love for the patriots to throw money at lance briggs....however there are just too many teams with too much available room that i just dont know if the pats will wanna compete with them...i think the more likely scenario is that london fletcher comes to town...BB raves about him...i know hes not a spring chicken...but hes still got something left in the tank and i think he wants a last shot with a winner

as far as drafting linebackers....i would love for the pats to get their hands on jarvis moss from florida...they need a linebacker who can put his hand down and go from 3-4 to 4-3 without having to change personnel....i think this will require a tradeup from 24....and if patrick willis was still available at 28...id have no problem adding another one.....and for the record i believe seau and rodney will return

daniel graham absolutely needs to be brought back...i hope they dont need to franchise him...and the reason is this...i think they need to franchise asante...and work out a deal like they did with deion...some team will pay the money and the pick to get him...u just know somebody will....there is a system in place and you need to take advantage of it...gotta get something for him...and maybe...just maybe...theres a shot nate clements wouldnt mind coming to NE

swerski...ty warren has been virtually unblockable all year..i think hes certainly in line for a raise...in line ahead of wilfork

i would love for the patriots to throw money at lance briggs....however there are just too many teams with too much available room that i just dont know if the pats will wanna compete with them...i think the more likely scenario is that london fletcher comes to town...BB raves about him...i know hes not a spring chicken...but hes still got something left in the tank and i think he wants a last shot with a winner

as far as drafting linebackers....i would love for the pats to get their hands on jarvis moss from florida...they need a linebacker who can put his hand down and go from 3-4 to 4-3 without having to change personnel....i think this will require a tradeup from 24....and if patrick willis was still available at 28...id have no problem adding another one.....and for the record i believe seau and rodney will return

daniel graham absolutely needs to be brought back...i hope they dont need to franchise him...and the reason is this...i think they need to franchise asante...and work out a deal like they did with deion...some team will pay the money and the pick to get him...u just know somebody will....there is a system in place and you need to take advantage of it...gotta get something for him...and maybe...just maybe...theres a shot nate clements wouldnt mind coming to NE

I agree that Fletcher is more likely.

I think Graham will be back. I am not sure what he has done to warrant a big contract on the open market that would prevent the Pats from signing him.

and maybe...just maybe...theres a shot nate clements wouldnt mind coming to NE

I've been hearing a lot of stuff on the radio out here (yes, it's all rumors) but the Cardinals are going to be serious players in the Asante Samuels / Nate Clements sweepstakes. Maybe Whisenhunt can finally get the Bidwells to dive into their checkbooks a little, and finally make a winner out of the hometown team.. :D

I agree that Fletcher is more likely.

I think Graham will be back. I am not sure what he has done to warrant a big contract on the open market that would prevent the Pats from signing him.

i hear ya...i mean at times hes had a hard time staying healthy...but we all know what a tremendous blocker he is....i think hes one of those guys that another team might be willing to pay because they might actually feature him more...he can make plays given the opportunities

It's funny - down here in Tampa all they talk about is "all the cap space" and how Gruden will probably blow it...and they are int he middle of the pack, adn 24M ain't really that much.

I think they can do something with 24 million plus a little more with some contract restructuring. Now if Gruden and Allen blow it this offseason they should be fired for sure.

Interesting. I had only watched a handfull of Pats game this season and didn't know that Warren was dominating like that.

Agreed about Graham, a very underrated TE.

I don't think the Pat's bring Graham back. They allready have Watson, who's a much better pass catcher, and they didn't draft Thomas and Mills for them to sit on the bench. They drafted those guys, imo, because they knew last year that they weren't going to pony up for Graham.

This is what makes BB and Peoli the best. They draft guys a year in advance for the guys they know they don't plan on re-signing. That way they're not being replaced with rookies, but guys that at least have a year under the coaching staff.

I wonder how much more Dallas will have after they dump TO? :D

Its possible they would have LESS if they dump TO, depending on bounuses.

My understanding is that a signing bonus, for instance, is pro-rated against the cap for the legnth of the contract. If they cut him, they take the entire hit immediately, instead of spreading it out over the contract period.

I could be wrong.