[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

help me pick my new TV

Azazello1313

i've pretty much boiled it down to 3 models. i've decided i'm going to go with LCD, 40-42 inches, and i'm going to go ahead and go with 1080p. the finalists:

Sony KDL-40XBR2 40" Bravia XBR - sorta viewed as the top of the line LCD right now

Samsung LNS4096D 40"

Sharp Aquos LC-42D62U 42" - 2 more inches at the lowest price

the samsung and especially the sony get universally great reviews. the sharp is just a little newer, but so far it is getting nice reviews as well. saw them all in the store with various inputs and the sony was most impressive, but all 3 really stacked up.

probably leaning a little toward the sharp. anyone have any experience with any of the 3 or any comments that might help sway me one way or the other?

All good choices. I have the Samsung 4095D...

The 2 main diffs are the 4096 has a cable card input and a QAM tuner to get the higher channels off of unscrambled cable.

Here's a good forum for either....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....553#post8927553

i've pretty much boiled it down to 3 models. i've decided i'm going to go with LCD, 40-42 inches, and i'm going to go ahead and go with 1080p. the finalists:

Sony KDL-40XBR2 40" Bravia XBR - sorta viewed as the top of the line LCD right now

Samsung LNS4096D 40"

the samsung and especially the sony get universally great reviews. the sharp is just a little newer, but so far it is getting nice reviews as well. saw them all in the store with various inputs and the sony was most impressive, but all 3 really stacked up.

probably leaning a little toward the sharp. anyone have any experience with any of the 3 or any comments that might help sway me one way or the other?

Just did a fireplace with a built in for this one above it........dude i'm doin it for is the type that really does his homework.........doin a cantilever bracket with it also so it will pull out and turn at different degrees....... :D

My last tube TV was a Sony. I had no complaints, it had a great picture. I went with the Samsung for features. I wanted PinP, and the Sony didn't have it, plus the price diff was $1000 for the same size.

Besides.....Samsung is the Official TV of the NFL!!! :D

In general, Sony makes good stuff, but avoid this particular set. It has a serious design flaw.

Nuke, that dude better recheck his homework.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748779

WOW!!!!! :D That looks funky!

Samsung LNS4096D 40"

Az the one thing that you need to realize(i havent read the descriptions of those sets yet) is that some models are advertising 1080P but its not really true....kinda like when they were marketing the HDTVs as HD but they didnt have tuners in them...basically(and I am sure that kid or georgemo can better explain it) what I gather is that the sets can accept 1080P but then they output to 1080i or something like that....so make sure you ask them if it both accepts and plays back in 1080P

Edited by keggerz

I haven't done much in the way of 40" set comparison lately and I'm sure Az has done his homework. If not, go to AVSForums as has been mentioned. I get all my info there. I'm sure you'll be happy with either of those three.

What I will suggest if your in the market for a non-HD player, go Oppo Digital. The 970HD is a cocker of a player with media card slots and a USB connection up front. They might come in handy. For standard def, the player really cannot be beat. And a refurb can be had directly from them for $119. The kicker here is Oppo includes an (6ft) HDMI cable with the unit. :bash: The player can be set to region free as well.

Oppo Products

:D they are out of the refurbs. The new 970HD's are back ordered as well - till Monday. :D

then again, maybe i should go with the 46" sharp. it seems as though the specs and technology are a bit different between the 42" on the one hand, and the 46" and 52" on the other. better contrast ratios. and i just saw this on that avs forum...

Please note that the 42" model is not manufactured by Sharp at its new Kameyana II plant and doesn't share the 2,000:1 contrast ration as its 46" and 52" brothers have (the 42"'s contrast ratio is listed as 1,200:1). This doesn't mean the 42" is a bad or terrible 1080p LCD, but it's also not as 'tricked out' as its 46" and 52" counterparts. Speaking of Sharp's Kameyana II plant, it's a brand new state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Japan that Sharp is touting as much as the LCD's themselves. It's suppposed to speed-up and improve the manufacturing of big-screen AQUOS LCD's with more efficiency and quick turnarond. It's built next to Kameyana I, the assembly planet Sharp still uses for the manufacturing of smaller AQUOS LCD's (like the 37D90U and others).

it's only a couple hundy more to move up to the 46. might be well worth it, though i am a tad concerned 46 may be slight overkill at the 10-11 feet viewing distance in my basement.

then again, maybe i should go with the 46" sharp. it seems as though the specs and technology are a bit different between the 42" on the one hand, and the 46" and 52" on the other. better contrast ratios. and i just saw this on that avs forum...

it's only a couple hundy more to move up to the 46. might be well worth it, though i am a tad concerned 46 may be slight overkill at the 10-11 feet viewing distance in my basement.

It won't be. I sit 8-10' away and I could have gone 46". But I lay on the floor a lot, so many times it's only 5-6'. Here's a decent chart: (Some others seem ridiculous)

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-2.html

I sit eight feet away from my 56" DLP. :D 46" won't be overkill at that distance.

I'd go with the Sharp but they all look good.

I sit eight feet away from my 56" DLP. :D 46" won't be overkill at that distance.

I'd go with the Sharp but they all look good.

They do! My Sammy looks great, have had several HD owners over and they said it blows their's away. Mind you they have tubes, DLP, and LCD projection, none have the 1080i. None of them have LCD, which I still feel is the best contrast, pic, view angle, etc. The reds just 'POP'! Being a somewhat photographer I understand contrast. The LCD I have is unreal! The brightest areas and the darkest are very clear! I looked at the Sharps. I still liked the Sammy better. maybe the way they tweaked it, I dunno. All I know is I am very happy!