[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

help me pick my new TV

Azazello1313

ordered the 42" sharp today, shipped to my front door for just over $1700. i shied away from the 46" because of a banding issue that appears to be more prevalent on the 46" and 52" inch models than the 42. i thought hard about going with the samsung 4695 (at some point i just decided 40 inches was a hair too small), which i saw in a few stores and is an absolutely beautiful set, but i was looking at ultimately almost a thousand more, and when it comes right down to it that is an awful lot of dough for a slightly bigger screen and slightly better viewing angles. if anyone is looking for a stellar TV in the $2500 range though, i believe that is the one i would recommend...picture quality absolutely stands toe-to-toe with the sony xbr2 in every way, might even surpass it in some respects, at a better price. but i saw one of the 42 inch sharps that was a return (and has been calibrated) and it looked really, really great as well. so i feel like i made a pretty good choice for the $$$.

ordered the 42" sharp today, shipped to my front door for just over $1700. i shied away from the 46" because of a banding issue that appears to be more prevalent on the 46" and 52" inch models than the 42. i thought hard about going with the samsung 4695 (at some point i just decided 40 inches was a hair too small), which i saw in a few stores and is an absolutely beautiful set, but i was looking at ultimately almost a thousand more, and when it comes right down to it that is an awful lot of dough for a slightly bigger screen and slightly better viewing angles. if anyone is looking for a stellar TV in the $2500 range though, i believe that is the one i would recommend...picture quality absolutely stands toe-to-toe with the sony xbr2 in every way, might even surpass it in some respects, at a better price. but i saw one of the 42 inch sharps that was a return (and has been calibrated) and it looked really, really great as well. so i feel like i made a pretty good choice for the $$$.

You didn't get it in time for the SB?? :D:D

:D can't wait to check it out.

Sharp it up, bitch.

You honor me.

My brother installs hi-end home theatrer systems for big money clients around here, so when i was in the market a few months ago, i went to him. He talked me out of Plasma and LCD, then hooked me up with a 46" Samsung DLP HD.

Depth wasn't an issue since it sits in a corner, but it would be a factor if i wanted to wall-mount it. Once the HD recievers and antennae were intsalled we were able to see the real deal. The picture is absolutly beautiful. :D I think its way better than the 20" Sony LCD we have also.

A display is not truly calibrated until it has your sources, cable box, sat, box, DVD player, etc; on it's inputs. Then all inputs used must be calibrated. I'd get a credit or refund. :D

Sounds like a nice set Az. Enjoy!

ok, the good news: my TV got here on friday :bash:...no banding or other issues.

the bad news: directv can't do my HD install until a motherfkkin MONTH from now. what is up with that? :D

the TV looks good on SD sources though (which is NOT a given on HD sets). got one of those oppo upconverting DVD players and that combo looks solid. the closest i've come to viewing actual HD content on the thing so far is playing gran turismo 4 on my playstation2, which will play in 1080i. it looks pretty good but you can tell the hardware (ps2) is struggling mightily to keep up. i have half a mind to run right out and buy a ps3 (with bluray), but my wife is putting the kabosh on that one until we get new carpet in the basement. :D

ok, the good news: my TV got here on friday :bash:...no banding or other issues.

the bad news: directv can't do my HD install until a motherfkkin MONTH from now. what is up with that? :D

the TV looks good on SD sources though (which is NOT a given on HD sets). got one of those oppo upconverting DVD players and that combo looks solid. the closest i've come to viewing actual HD content on the thing so far is playing gran turismo 4 on my playstation2, which will play in 1080i. it looks pretty good but you can tell the hardware (ps2) is struggling mightily to keep up. i have half a mind to run right out and buy a ps3 (with bluray), but my wife is putting the kabosh on that one until we get new carpet in the basement. :D

you can tell her you can sell the PS2 if you get a PS3 cause it will play all your PS2 games and as a stand alone Blu-Ray player it is worth its money...

I had that same problem with DirectTV. I forget the name, but there is one company licenced to do installs around here. I won't go into my long story which I already posted here, but they never answered the phone, they scheduled me for a day I specifically said I wouldn't be around, then they never showed up on the day we actually did schedule... which was fine because I had cancelled the service by then anyway.

I find it ridiculous that one one company is allowed to do it, and they are completely incapable of satisfying the customers in every way. Seems like a bad business model. Who do they think they are... the phone company?

Oh, and I would tell my wife, "Why don't you get back to the kitchen, and leave the financial decisions to me. More cooky-cooky, and less talky-talky, ok sweetheart? When I want your input on where to spend the money, I'll let you know."

And when you have the frying pan surgically removed from the side of your head, you'll be a wiser man.

Get an OTA antenna in the mean time for around $50. You will be able to pick up 5 or so HD broadcasts on your locals, assuming you don't live in the sticks to far.

You might even need it anyway if your locals in HD are not up on DTV when you get that. And when you get the DTV HD box then you can just plug in your OTA cable to the back of the box, input your zipcode, and the locals, HD and all appear in your guide. For free and it looks great...

Get an OTA antenna in the mean time for around $50. You will be able to pick up 5 or so HD broadcasts on your locals, assuming you don't live in the sticks to far.

Denver doesn't broadcast HDTV OTA except with very weak antennas on top of the stations themselves. You can only get it if you are right downtown in Denver.

Homeowners in the area that the TV towers have always been (Lookout Mountain) have been suing to prevent the stations from upgrading their towers.

It's been a big deal around here. The TV stations finally won in Federal court... but the new HDTV towers are still in the early construction phase.

http://www.hdtvcolorado.com/

Edited by AtomicCEO

Denver doesn't broadcast HDTV OTA except with very weak antennas on top of the stations themselves. You can only get it if you are right downtown in Denver.

Homeowners in the area that the TV towers have always been (Lookout Mountain) have been suing to prevent the stations from upgrading their towers.

It's been a big deal around here. The TV stations finally won in Federal court... but the new HDTV towers are still in the early construction phase.

http://www.hdtvcolorado.com/

yeah, and i'm not going pay 50 bucks for 3 weeks of channels i rarely watch anyway (edit: directv DOES carry the denver locals). i DID have the thought...but i guess i can wait until march 8.

Edited by Azazello1313