[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Turner the leading candidate to win the Cowboy HC Job

irish

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2746548

I've read on this message board how some feel he would be good for Romo and Dallas and how others think this is a terrible move.

Thoughts on why it would be good or bad for Big D.

It'd be good for Jerry Jones, who'd be able to boss around Turner like a stepchild.

That's part of my fear. But what candidate out there right now wouldn't he be able to do that to?

That's part of my fear. But what candidate out there right now wouldn't he be able to do that to?

Yeah, I agree that nobody better is available right now. I guess the best that Cowboys fans can hope for at this point is either Dan Reeves coming back out of retirement or Turner being a couple-year stop-gap for Cowher.

Yeah, I agree that nobody better is available right now. I guess the best that Cowboys fans can hope for at this point is either Dan Reeves coming back out of retirement or Turner being a couple-year stop-gap for Cowher.

I was hoping more like a one-year.

Cowboy fans, welcome to the Hell that is the Raiders. Formerly smart owner who has had the game pass him by for a decade or more, not to mention the onset of their senility, yet think they are smarter than everyone else in the league by country mile.

Couldn't happen to 2 nicer teams...

NO! If he is hired, it will do nothing but delay the development of Garrett as an O.C.. He's a horrible head coach, and would probably micromanage the offense, and our secondary will still suck. We won't have a decent D.C., because the only ones that are left were the other H.C. candidates. :D

Edited by Perchoutofwater

:D

Wouldn't be the end of the world. I can see Garrett as OC, Singletary as DC and let Norv be the steward as those two compete for a season or two to replace Norv. I guess you'd have to call Singletary an assistant head coach (and in turn Garrett as well) also so it could be defined as a promotion over his current position but that'd be fine.

Wouldn't be the end of the world. I can see Garrett as OC, Singletary as DC and let Norv be the steward as those two compete for a season or two to replace Norv. I guess you'd have to call Singletary an assistant head coach (and in turn Garrett as well) also so it could be defined as a promotion over his current position but that'd be fine.

Norv's worked with both so he'll be as Club said the "sreward" 'til one of these two take over. Just sad to see Norv and Mike leave my 49ers as things were starting to look up. Hopefully we'll get good enough replacements so it won't be back to sqaure one.

Turner is a superb OC, but to see him as a HC on a team with T.O. on it is classic theater of the absurd.

I agree 100%. He has proven to be an outstanding offensive coordinator. He has also proven to be a crappy headcoach with a record of 58-82 and in nine years as a head coach brought his teams to exactly one playoff game that he lost.

Everyone has things that they do well and things that they do not.

Just because someone is a great coordinator does not mean he is a great head coach. Or vice-versa.

:D:D

I was hoping they'd snake Ron Rivera from the Bears after the SB so we could replace HIM with Singletary, who I want in the Bears organization BADLY. Don't get me wrong, I love Rivera but would sacrifice him up to bring in Iron Mike.

From Dallas Cowboys.com

IRVING, Texas - Fresh off interviewing 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner on Sunday, the Cowboys now apparently want to take a better look at a 49ers defensive assistant.

Mike Singletary, a Hall of Fame linebacker who has spent the last four years as an assistant coach for the Ravens and 49ers, will interview for the head coaching job on Tuesday, Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple said late Monday afternoon.

Singletary has been the 49ers' assistant head coach the past two seasons under head coach Mike Nolan. His title changed from assistant head coach/linebackers to assistant head coach/defense in 2006.

Singletary also spent two years as the Ravens' inside linebackers coach.

Singletary will become the eighth candidate and fourth defensive coach to interview with the Cowboys since Bill Parcells announced his retirement last Monday.

Last Tuesday, the Cowboys interviewed Todd Bowles, the team's secondary coach last season who many expect to be a leading candidate for defensive coordinator if he is not named head coach. The club also interviewed Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs.

The Cowboys also met with in-house offensive assistants Tony Sparano and Todd Haley last Tuesday, though Haley has since left for Arizona to become the Cardinals' offensive coordinator. The Cowboys then interviewed and hired former backup quarterback Jason Garrett to an unspecified role that will be determined after the head coaching search is completed. Garrett remains a candidate in the search and could become offensive coordinator if he isn't named head coach.

Before the Cowboys announced their interview with Singletary, it was believed that Turner, the 49ers' offensive coordinator last year, was the leading candidate. That still could be the case, but the Singletary announcement came as a surprise considering there was wide speculation that the Cowboys could name Turner the next head coach as early as Monday and possibly Tuesday.

I could be completely wrong here, as everone has their price, but, if and when Cowher comes back, I just don't see him wanting to coach for an owner like Jerry Jones. Unless Jones makes promises that we all know he can't keep, I don't see Cowher wanting to be in that environment. Going from the Rooneys to Jerry Jones is one gigantic leap, imho.

This is my thinking with a lot of the names being thrown around ..I think Dallas throws the kings ransom at Cowher in the next year or 2..I would still like them to interview Rivera though

Edited by whomper

This is my thinking with a lot of the names being thrown around ..I think Dallas throws the kings ransom at Cowher in the next year or 2..I would still like them to interview Rivera though

You can throw all the money around that you want. Look at the coaching candidates that want no part of working for Al Davis. Jones is too full of himself & wants total control of the team, including what happens on the field. That's fine - he owns the team & it's his privledge as such. But what credible HC is going to take a job where he can't even hire his own assistants?

DAL is heading down the same path that the Raiders are traveling right now.

I still think it's going to be

HC - Turner

OC - Garrett

I was reading an interesting article on this, and it all made sense. It said that Miami has been turning down everyone who has asked for permission to interview Garrett for an OC job. Now the moment that Cam Cameron becomes HC, he grants Dallas permission, why? Could it be because Norv Turner brought Cameron into the NFL in 1994, and kept him with him until he hooked up with San Diego? Sounds like Cameron is returning a favor.

This deal has been done for a while now, they just haven't announced it yet.

Between the two of them, they will move Romo to the next level. But Turner will be on a short leash, bad year and he is gone, with the replacement being Garrett.

You can forget Cowher, he'll be back in maybe 4 years, no one is going to bring him back in a couple of years. He wants to watch what's left of his family grow-up, and he has the money to sit on his butt and do it. He' not coming back next year, the year after, etc.... And when he does come back it will not be for Dallas.

And yes I think it's a good move (considering what is left out there). As for TO. I think he sticks around one more year. He knows if he gets booted he will not be getting another big payday. Not after leading the league in dropped passes. If your going to be a Prima Donna, you have to be able to back it up, and TO didn't. He'll make some noise and be a distraction (he is still TO) but not to the level we saw in Philly.

I agree 100%. He has proven to be an outstanding offensive coordinator. He has also proven to be a crappy headcoach with a record of 58-82 and in nine years as a head coach brought his teams to exactly one playoff game that he lost.

Everyone has things that they do well and things that they do not.

Just because someone is a great coordinator does not mean he is a great head coach. Or vice-versa.

:pleasehirenorvpleasehirenorvpleasehirenorv:

:D:bash:

I was hoping they'd snake Ron Rivera from the Bears after the SB so we could replace HIM with Singletary, who I want in the Bears organization BADLY. Don't get me wrong, I love Rivera but would sacrifice him up to bring in Iron Mike .

I don't think that "Iron Mike" Ditka is going back into coaching. But I believe that "Samurai Mike" Singletary might be available. :D

I could be completely wrong here, as everone has their price, but, if and when Cowher comes back, I just don't see him wanting to coach for an owner like Jerry Jones. Unless Jones makes promises that we all know he can't keep, I don't see Cowher wanting to be in that environment. Going from the Rooneys to Jerry Jones is one gigantic leap, imho.

I would hope that he wouldn't, either. He deserves better.

..I would still like them to interview Rivera though

...the Bears' defensive coordinator finally arrived in Dallas late Tuesday afternoon and met with Jones into the evening here at Valley Ranch.

Rivera becomes the ninth candidate to interview for the job since Bill Parcells announced his retirement on Jan. 22.

But he likely won't be the last. The Cowboys are also planning to interview Colts assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, who is expected to arrive in Dallas early Wednesday morning.

...the Bears' defensive coordinator finally arrived in Dallas late Tuesday afternoon and met with Jones into the evening here at Valley Ranch.

Rivera becomes the ninth candidate to interview for the job since Bill Parcells announced his retirement on Jan. 22.

But he likely won't be the last. The Cowboys are also planning to interview Colts assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, who is expected to arrive in Dallas early Wednesday morning.

any Colts fans have any info on this guy?