[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I remember when (blank)

Savage Beatings

Comodore 64. :D

I went to a "progressive" middle school that you had to apply to to get into in Detroit, it was still public but not everyone got in and we had the last two hours of every Friday for "flex time"....We got to pick different things to do like roller skating, bowling etc., one semester I picked the "Commodore 64 Club".......it was awesome, we programmed our own skiing game and everything :D

Oh, and Puddy and I had electronic footbal games where the board vibrated and moved your "players" all over the place.

Edited by ChuckB

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My very first television was a Zenith black and white with rabbit ears and two rotary dials. One dial had something like 15 or so channels and the other one was used to switch services?

UHF and VHF were what the dials were for. One with 15 that actually clicked to each number and the other was for 16 and above that you turned to tune the channel in. At least that is the way it was on ours.

UHF and VHF were what the dials were for. One with 15 that actually clicked to each number and the other was for 16 and above that you turned to tune the channel in. At least that is the way it was on ours.

YES. I was struggling to remember the UHF/VHF and had VHS stuck in my head, but knew it was wrong.

Oh, and Puddy and I had electronic footbal games where the board vibrated and moved your "players" all over the place.

OK, I had that as well. But even then thought it was pretty lame. You could never get the guys to do what you wanted and forget about passing, that was impossible.

The only play that worked was putting all your guys in a rather illegal pyramid formation with the ball carrier near (but not at) the back of it so you could push the other team out of the way and have enough of your guys to the side and behind the running back so as to encourage him not to spin in circles or run straight out of bounds.

Unlike some of the other gadgets mentioned, the kid who had the stupid buzzing football game was never the envy of the neighborhood. I don't know, maybe before my time (DOB 1968).

That was the "height of technology" for you guys?

Did you grow up in a cave?

I remember Photo-Electric Football.

Basically, you would pick an offensive play that was on a piece of paper and your opponent would pick a defensive play--then you would put both pieces of paper face down on the field (which was basically the top of a box that contained a lightbulb). Then you would pull out a screen that had been blocking the light from the lightbulb, and watch the play unfold.

That, my friends, was high-tech.

(I actually still have the game.)

Basically, you would pick an offensive play that was on a piece of paper and your opponent would pick a defensive play--then you would put both pieces of paper face down on the field (which was basically the top of a box that contained a lightbulb). Then you would pull out a screen that had been blocking the light from the lightbulb, and watch the play unfold.

Never had that, but had the board game of similar strategy. Both guys would pick a play and depending on the riskiness of the play, the degree to which the guy playing D chose a suitable defense, and the luck of the spin of a wheel, you either gain yards, a TD, got your ass sacked, or otherwise. My grandmother gave me that exact game for Xmas 3 years in a row.

OK, I had that as well. But even then thought it was pretty lame. You could never get the guys to do what you wanted and forget about passing, that was impossible.

The only play that worked was putting all your guys in a rather illegal pyramid formation with the ball carrier near (but not at) the back of it so you could push the other team out of the way and have enough of your guys to the side and behind the running back so as to encourage him not to spin in circles or run straight out of bounds.

Unlike some of the other gadgets mentioned, the kid who had the stupid buzzing football game was never the envy of the neighborhood. I don't know, maybe before my time (DOB 1968).

Did any of you guys ever get the hang of the QB passing guy in this game? You could flick the arm of the QB and pass the little felt ball. If it hit one of your downfield players, it was a completed pass. I could never get the hang of it. My brother could though, much to my irritation.

I know what I will remember in the future...

I was in Tweeter the other day looking at a high def TV playing a Blu-Ray disk. I could only think to myself that it was a better picture than watching whatever scene was on the TV if it were live in front of me. I just don't see how the picture could get any better.

We had one called Monday Night Football.

My brother would always like to run the "Bomb" offense, and he did not like that I always ran the blitz or a zone defense against it.

:D that was gonna be my answer, too. we thought we were cool, too, because we didn't have to get up from the couch to use the VCR -- as long as we weren't more than about 6 feet away. i think my dad got that VCR in 1982 and paid more than $1000 for it. it weighed about 30 pounds and came in two sections, one side for the tape and the other side for god knows what.

1982 sounds about right. :D