[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why IND loses the SB

Bronco Billy

22/36 271 yds TD/INT ratio of 1.21, 1.42 TD/game 1.17 INT/game

Peyton Manning's average numbers in 12 career playoff games. Then you look at Manning's career record in big games dating back to college, when he couldn't beat Florida in his career. He has not thrown multiple TDs in a playoff game since 2004 and has thrown twice as many INTs as TDs since that time. The guy simply does not step up to the plate when the money is on the line.

The biggest difference being cited between IND & CHI by the pundits is the difference between Manning & Grossman. Grossman can match or exceed the numbers listed above, and if he can perform at a similar level to Manning, CHI wins the game. CHI's D can match IND's and their special teams are better.

Look for the upset by CHI and another addition to Manning's growing legend as a choker in big games.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much like Elway could never win the big one on his own and it took Terrell Davis to do the job, so will be the case here. Joseph Addai will get Peyton his ring.

Addai is a bigger force in the backfield this year than all the years with Edge?

Pass the pipe - that's some serious #### you're smoking there.

:D at this point in his career joseph addai is more closely comparable to sammy winder or bobby humphrey than TD.

TD was nothing more than an overrated, injury prone sissy of a RB. :D

If the past stats meant a lot, the Colts would have lost last week when they were down by 18 points. But they didn't, Manning was outstanding and NE choked. Things change.

22/36 271 yds TD/INT ratio of 1.21, 1.42 TD/game 1.17 INT/game

Peyton Manning's average numbers in 12 career playoff games. Then you look at Manning's career record in big games dating back to college, when he couldn't beat Florida in his career. He has not thrown multiple TDs in a playoff game since 2004 and has thrown twice as many INTs as TDs since that time. The guy simply does not step up to the plate when the money is on the line.

The biggest difference being cited between IND & CHI by the pundits is the difference between Manning & Grossman. Grossman can match or exceed the numbers listed above, and if he can perform at a similar level to Manning, CHI wins the game. CHI's D can match IND's and their special teams are better.

Look for the upset by CHI and another addition to Manning's growing legend as a choker in big games.

You definitely have some valid data here, but, Peyton Manning won a big game two weekends ago. The stats might not show it, but, what he did to bring the Colts back from a 21-3 defecit against his arch-rival, was damn impressive.

Peyton Manning has the best physical and mental abilities of any QB that I have ever watched play the game. The one thing, accurately so, that was hurting him was his inability to perform in the big games. I think he started to reverse that trend two weeks ago, and this Sunday will simply be a continuation of it. I think the Colts wind by a solid margin, and Peyton Manning shines.

here it is:

I just read a story on ESPN about how Manning was talking to Marino, and telling him how from watching the film of the Bears Defense he thought certain things could work against them. That got me thinking about what effect an extra week of study of film for Manning has on his performance. I'm not sure exactly what it means, or if it's useful at all, but in a week that's dragging in interesting storylines, I'd figure I'd throw this out:

The baseline I used was Mannings career per game averages of:

21.74 comp 33.05 att (63.9%) 261 ypg, 1.9 td/gm .965 int/g

Going back to the 1998 season when Manning first came into the league he's played in 11 games following a bye week. His record, an unimpressive 5-6. However, he has won 4 of the last 6 and 5 of the last 8.

His average stats in those games:

23.6 comp 37.18 att (63.5%) 297.6 ypg, 2.45 td/g .636 int/g

So there does seem to be some increase in production. He's going for an additional 36 more yd/g, a .5 td/g and about a third fewer INT per game.

Another thing to point out, his worst performance in this data was in a 1999 Playoff game against Tennessee. The catch, it was also the one game where he didn't know who his next opponent was going into the bye week.

His stats for that game:

19-43 (44.1%) 227 yds 0 td 0 int

If you take that out of our averaging, his new set of averages are (when he knows the opponent)

24.1-36.6 (65.8%) 304.7 ypg 2.7 td/g .7 int/g

His stats look even better now compared to his baseline.

One more thing I want to look out, of his 6 losses in this situation (5 without Tenn Playoff game) the Colts lost those games by a combined 22 points (19 w/o Tenn) a 3.667 per game average (3.8 w/o Tenn). In addition no loss came by more than 5 points (losses of 5, 3, 3, 5, 3, 3).

In his 5 wins they've won by a combined 78 points, a 15.6 points per game average. In addition, no win came by fewer than 7 points (wins of 19, 7, 9, 19, 14).

Again, don't know if this means much, but just some food for thought.

Edited by keggerz

Grossman's potential for a rock bottom failure performance in any given game is far greater than Manning's IMO.

Grossman has outperformed Manning in QB rating in 9 of 18 games this season, including playoffs. Manning is the one who took a 39.6 rating dump in a playoff game this year while Grossman has been in the 70s both playoff games. Manning hasn't exceeded a QB rating of 80 in the 3 playoff games this year.

Grossman has at least an even chance of putting up a better game than Manning.

If the past stats meant a lot, the Colts would have lost last week when they were down by 18 points. But they didn't, Manning was outstanding and NE choked. Things change.

That was just NE reverting to their mean. They haven't been SB caliber for a couple of years now, but they still almost nailed Manning & the Colts last week.

Grossman has outperformed Manning in QB rating in 9 of 18 games this season, including playoffs. Manning is the one who took a 39.6 rating dump in a playoff game this year while Grossman has been in the 70s both playoff games. Manning hasn't exceeded a QB rating of 80 in the 3 playoff games this year.

Grossman has also faced the freaking Saints and Seahawks defenses. Talk about a walk in the park.

Meanwhile, Grossman has crapped his pants against solid defenses all season (NE, MIA, etc.).

Edited by Bill Swerski

i think that Grossman led all QBs with number of weeks having the highest QB rating

but ALSO led all QBs in # of weeks with the lowest rating...dont ask for a link because I cant

remember where i read that at

Spit out numbers all you want - don't mean chit. Chi played Sea/NO - I mean, have some common sense. AFC is way tougher than the NFC - those numbers are as irrelevant.

What makes this year different than Manning's previous 12 years of futility in big games?

Honestly.....nothing.

I think the Colts have more playoff experience to the younger CHI bears. I feel that the CHI Def is going to blitz a lot in this game and Manning is going to pick them apart. CHI gives up a lot of completions, not for a lot of yardage, but is #2 in the league in INT. Problem I see is Harrison and Wayne, give them completions and they will turn them into good yardage after the catch. Thus evidenced by the #4 ranking of yards after catch. The colts are something like 14-1 with Dallas Clark in the lineup and 1-3 with him not in the lineup.....that's a pretty glaring stat, so he might just be the X factor in this game over the middle.....can Urlacher cover him? I'm not sure really. Strong Pass D vs. a strong Pass Off, I tend to give the edge to the team that has the better playmakers in that situation Harrison and Wayne over Vasher, Tillman, Hester, Manning Jr. Let's not forget about special teams as well, don't overlook Wilkins, he's looked pretty good this playoffs and Hester has shown some rookie rust coming through.

My take, it's either a Blowout by IND or a close game that either team wins in the end.....I tend to think IND wins by 14.

Just a prediction :D

That was all Ty Law and a great read by by the Chiefs Rookie Safety. I presume this was that game anyway.