[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why IND loses the SB

Bronco Billy

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly.....nothing.

I think the Colts have more playoff experience to the younger CHI bears. I feel that the CHI Def is going to blitz a lot in this game and Manning is going to pick them apart. CHI gives up a lot of completions, not for a lot of yardage, but is #2 in the league in INT. Problem I see is Harrison and Wayne, give them completions and they will turn them into good yardage after the catch. Thus evidenced by the #4 ranking of yards after catch. The colts are something like 14-1 with Dallas Clark in the lineup and 1-3 with him not in the lineup.....that's a pretty glaring stat, so he might just be the X factor in this game over the middle.....can Urlacher cover him? I'm not sure really. Strong Pass D vs. a strong Pass Off, I tend to give the edge to the team that has the better playmakers in that situation Harrison and Wayne over Vasher, Tillman, Hester, Manning Jr. Let's not forget about special teams as well, don't overlook Wilkins, he's looked pretty good this playoffs and Hester has shown some rookie rust coming through.

My take, it's either a Blowout by IND or a close game that either team wins in the end.....I tend to think IND wins by 14.

Just a prediction :D

the bears like Briggs in coverage(dude is so underrated its not even funny) but i too think Indy wins this game...if rex plays a good game then the game is close in score...if rex is awful then indy wins going away...1 of those 2 scenarios seem more likely then grossman just playing OK.

the bears like Briggs in coverage(dude is so underrated its not even funny) .

I wondered if they might do that, Briggs isn't underrated in my eyes....The guy is a stud and I'd love for my Chiefs to sign him. If they win the SB he stays, if they lose he might just go to the highest bidder.

Grossman has also faced the freaking Saints and Seahawks defenses. Talk about a walk in the park.

Meanwhile, Grossman has crapped his pants against solid defenses all season (NE, MIA, etc.).

Pass Defense, NFL Ranking:

New Orleans #3

Baltimore #6

New England #12

Seattle #16

Kansas City #18

Swing & a miss.

New Orleans #3

Baltimore #6

New England #12

Seattle #16

Kansas City #18

Swing & a miss.

LOL, you forgot to include the part about NO's pass defense being ranked 30th in TDs allowed and 28th in INTs. What was that you were saying about swinging and missing? :D

If you think that the Saints had a better pass defense than Baltimore, you apparently haven't watched much football this season.

New Orleans #3

Baltimore #6

New England #12

Seattle #16

Kansas City #18

Swing & a miss.

Passing TD's allowed, NFL Ranking:

New England (10) # 1

Baltimore (16) # 5

Kansas City (18) # 9

Seattle (23) #24

New Orleans (26) # 31

If I were the Bears, I'd put Briggs on Clark and simply start bringing Urlacher and mix in Hillenmyer occasion on blitzes.

YES the secondary will give up it's share of yardage but at some point you have to think the Colts O won't be able to account for Urlacher, Ogunleye and Anderson/Brown all at the same time. They simply HAVE to get to Peyton, and I think they certainly can.

Passing TD's allowed, NFL Ranking:

New England (10) # 1

Baltimore (16) # 5

Kansas City (18) # 9

Seattle (23) #24

New Orleans (26) # 31

Seattle's secondary was probably even worse than that at the end of the season, given that they were completely decimated with injuries at that point.

The Saints D was probably the most overrated until I've seen in a while. I don't mean that disparagingly, but they had some outstanding performances in some very high-visibility games (the MNF game against ATL... first home game since Katrina; the game against DAL, which was either MNF or SNF) but then played rather poorly at times in other games that fewer people watched. Their D has shown flashes of brilliance this season, but they're not an elite unit yet... not even close.

LOL, you forgot to include the part about NO's pass defense being ranked 30th in TDs allowed and 28th in INTs. What was that you were saying about swinging and missing? :D

If you think that the Saints had a better pass defense than Baltimore, you apparently haven't watched much football this season.

Okay, so let's compare the NFL ranking of the BAL D that shut down Manning & the NFL rankings of the CHI pass D:

stat BAL CHI

pass yds 6 11

ypa 6 1

INT 1 2

pass TD 5 9

Looks like a pretty similar scenario to me.

Let's also compare Manning's playoff performance so far to Grossman's

Manning, 2006 playoffs averages

24/38 262 yds/gm 0.67 TD/gm 2.0 INT/gm

Grossman, 2006 playoffs averages

16/32 213 yds/gm 1.0 TD/gm 0.5 INT/gm

You tell me who's having a better playoffs so far. IND has won despite Manning. 6 INTs vs 2 TDs? IND ought to be eliminated from the playoffs with that kind of QBing. They caught the weakest team in the playoffs in KC, beat a team that is a poor O team with FGs in BAL, and a mediocre & fading NE team.

IND is in the SB by the run D playing way over their heads (which will probably regress to the mean since they were the worst run D in the NFL during the regular season), not by anything Manning has done to help.

Manning & the IND run D will be exposed this Sunday.

Edited by Bronco Billy

If I were the Bears, I'd put Briggs on Clark and simply start bringing Urlacher and mix in Hillenmyer occasion on blitzes.

I'd put Urlacher on Clark (who is very fast for a TE... he lines up in the slot at times). I don't think that Briggs can cover him. But I know that Briggs can blitz.

YES the secondary will give up it's share of yardage but at some point you have to think the Colts O won't be able to account for Urlacher, Ogunleye and Anderson/Brown all at the same time. They simply HAVE to get to Peyton, and I think they certainly can.

They're going to have to mix it up. Peyton will kill defenses that blitz all of the time.

That will be the key to the game. It is very tricky with Manning and the Colts. You do have to get to Peyton with blitzes. It IS the way to beat him, but, at the same time, if you fail with those blitzes, he will absolutely kill your defense.

Last year, the Steelers played the Colts in Indy twice. In the first game, the Steelers were blitzing, and the Colts did a terrific job of picking them up, which resulted in a Colts route. In the playoff game, the Colts were really getting beat by the Steelers blitzes, and the Steelers pulled out the win.

This will definitely be key in this game, no doubt about that.

This is why the Colts need to run Addai into the ground.

Okay, so let's compare the BAL D that shut down Manning & the CHI pass D:

stat BAL CHI

pass yds 6 11

ypa 6 1

INT 1 2

pass TD 5 9

Looks like a pretty similar scenario to me.

Let's also compare Manning's playoff performance so far to Grossman's

Manning, 2006 playoffs averages

24/38 262 yds/gm 0.67 TD/gm 2.0 INT/gm

Grossman, 2006 playoffs averages

16/32 213 yds/gm 1.0 TD/gm 0.5 INT/gm

You tell me who's having a better playoffs so far. IND has won despite Manning. 6 INTs vs 2 TDs? IND ought to be eliminated from the playoffs with that kind of QBing. They caught the weakest team in the playoffs in KC, beat a team that is a poor O team with FGs in BAL, and a mediocre & fading NE team.

This is a complete Mickey Mouse analysis. Grossman's faced FAR weaker defenses than Manning has this postseason. There's no way that Grossman would've beaten NE. I doubt that he would've beaten SD or BAL, either.

IND is in the SB by the run D playing way over their heads (which will probably regress to the mean since they were the worst run D in the NFL during the regular season), not by anything Manning has done to help.

Manning & the IND run D will be exposed this Sunday.

That may be true, but your Manning vs. Grossman analysis is horribly-flawed.

New Orleans #3

Baltimore #6

New England #12

Seattle #16

Kansas City #18

Swing & a miss.

:D stats. You can skew them anyway you want to -- u stat mongers are a bore. Open your eyes and watch the effin game. Seattle's secondary was decimated and had as their nickelback a guy who was a nortgage broker the prior week.

I know yer somewhat smarter than this- so well done, nice bait- and have a nice trip.

This is a complete Mickey Mouse analysis. Grossman's faced FAR weaker defenses than Manning has this postseason. There's no way that Grossman would've beaten NE. I doubt that he would've beaten SD or BAL, either.

That's a matter of opinion. While Grossman supposedly played far worse Ds, he also has performed significantly better. Manning, on the other hand, for the guy who is supposed to be the best QB in the game and light years better than Grossman, has flopped badly - which is completely in character for him in the playoffs & in big games in college.

Why would Manning suddenly turn around from not being capable of putting up a winner in 4 years vs Florida in college & putting up stinky playoff performances over the first 8 years of his career as well as the 3 games this year and become a big money game winning QB in this game? History happens once - it's a fluke. It happens a couple of times, you start to notice a trend but don't put too much stock in it. You see it three times & you start to realize there's an issue. What about when it happens repeatedly in 13 years without a break?

:D stats. You can skew them anyway you want to -- u stat mongers are a bore. Open your eyes and watch the effin game. Seattle's secondary was decimated and had as their nickelback a guy who was a nortgage broker the prior week.

I know yer somewhat smarter than this- so well done, nice bait- and have a nice trip.

This isn't fishing. This is legitimate debate and a damn good excuse why anyone shouldn't lay money on IND -7 this week.

Tell me, what was the last huge game Manning QBed his team to a win in?

That's a matter of opinion. While Grossman supposedly played far worse Ds, he also has performed significantly better. Manning, on the other hand, for the guy who is supposed to be the best QB in the game and light years better than Grossman, has flopped badly - which is completely in character for him in the playoffs & in big games in college.

Why would Manning suddenly turn around from not being capable of putting up a winner in 4 years vs Florida in college & putting up stinky playoff performances over the first 8 years of his career as well as the 3 games this year and become a big money game winning QB in this game? History happens once - it's a fluke. It happens a couple of times, you start to notice a trend but don't put too much stock in it. You see it three times & you start to realize there's an issue. What about when it happens repeatedly in 13 years without a break?

You really think Manning had a bad game two games ago ? Yes, I know you will throw stats at me, but, show me his stats after they were down 21-3. He was terrific and already got the 'can't win the big game' monkey 95% off of his back. He will take care of that other 5% this weekend.

If you want to simplisticly ignore the level of defensive competition that both faced, I suppose that you could come to that conclusion.

I'm not arguing that Manning played well against the Chiefs or Ravens. He made a lot of big third-down conversions, but that's about it. There's no excuse for 5 INTs in those two games, even if Ty Law and Ed Reed were responsible for most of them. Then again, his comeback against NE two weeks ago is almost legendary.

Grossman has played efficiently in the playoffs. He did have two turnovers (only one was his fault) against a bad Seahawks defense, but played well enough to win. His performance in the first half of the Saints game was abysmal and he was helpped big-time by that great catch by Berrian (not to mention terrible coverage by NO's corner) in the 3rd quarter. But overall, he played intelligently and got them into the endzone when it looked like the Saints were coming back. But here's the thing about Grossman: He tends to crap his pants when he isn't playing with the lead. How many turnovers did he commit in the NE, MIA, ARI, and (second) GB game? Grossman with and without a lead are two completely different QBs.

Tell me, what was the last huge game Manning QBed his team to a win in?

Um, you mean like the AFC Championship game from not even two weeks ago when Peyton brought his team back from a 21-3 deficit? Or how about the '03 AFC Divisional at Arrowhead when Peyton won a shoot-out against the high-powered Chiefs offense, while posting a near-perfect QB rating? Or how about those two crushing playoff victories over your Broncos in '03 and '04? Or how about the game at Foxboro earlier this year where Peyton snatched home-field advantage away from NE if the two were to match up in the playoffs (which they eventually did... and I doubt that the Colts would've won at Foxboro)?

Edited by Bill Swerski

You really think Manning had a bad game two games ago ? Yes, I know you will throw stats at me, but, show me his stats after they were down 21-3.

23/38 for 309 yds, 1 TD and 3 sacks after IND was down 21-3.

6/10 for 42 yds, 0 TDs, and 1 INT returned for a TD to get IND down 21-3.

23/38 for 309 yds, 1 TD

Yeah, those numbers really suck. Oh, and you forgot about the rushing TD. :D

and 3 sacks after IND was down 21-3.

You mean that he's supposed to pass-block as well? :bash:

6/10 for 42 yds, 0 TDs, and 1 INT returned for a TD to get IND down 21-3.

How did the Pats score the first 14 points? :D

Good God, only a moran would consider Peyton's performance in that game "bad."

Edited by Bill Swerski