[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Invasion

Footballjoe

I could use some help here. Something has decided to make a home under my house. I cannot figure out how it is getting under there since all my access doors are closed and my vents are in. There is a small tear in one of the screens but there is a grate on the vent so only a mouse could get in. But what I am dealing with appears to be a large animal. About 2 months ago my family kept telling me that they hear chewing around the bathtub area. Well, I heard it the other night. It sounds like a very large animal. It is chewing on the wood, for sure. I went under the house and could see where it made a nest of leaves and pine straw under my tub. I also saw where its been pooping. The poop is large, like that of a cat. I am confused on what I am dealing with here. A nesting type animal that chews wood and has large poop. A cat? A racoon? A possum? A squirrel? I will fix the vent screen and get a trap but I should would like to know what to expect. I just cannot figure out how its getting in and out. By the way, we only hear the chewing now and then. Maybe 2 days in a row, then not for a couple of weeks. :D

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could use some help here. Something has decided to make a home under my house. I cannot figure out how it is getting under there since all my access doors are closed and my vents are in. There is a small tear in one of the screens but there is a grate on the vent so only a mouse could get in. But what I am dealing with appears to be a large animal. About 2 months ago my family kept telling me that they hear chewing around the bathtub area. Well, I heard it the other night. It sounds like a very large animal. It is chewing on the wood, for sure. I went under the house and could see where it made a nest of leaves and pine straw under my tub. I also saw where its been pooping. The poop is large, like that of a cat. I am confused on what I am dealing with here. A nesting type animal that chews wood and has large poop. A cat? A racoon? A possum? A squirrel? I will fix the vent screen and get a trap but I should would like to know what to expect. I just cannot figure out how its getting in and out. By the way, we only hear the chewing now and then. Maybe 2 days in a row, then not for a couple of weeks. :D

the only thing I can think of that would chew on the wood like that would be a porcupine. :D

Is the poop pellets? Similar to rabbit but much larger.

If they are about 5/8 pellets my guess it is a porcupine.

No. Its large poop. It reminds me of cat poop. I put sand under my house a few years ago. the poop is all in one area. its not pellets though. Its the real deal.

Almost definitely a raccoon with the poo you describe. Had one take up residence in the parent's barn one year. Left one heck of a mess.

Edit: If you do trap a raccoon, be very careful. Those things are mean. They'll try to claw and bite you through a cage.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Definitely a raccoon. My parent's house had one make babies in their attic over the summer. They had to hire a guy. You can't catch these and he had to set a trap and kill them all. They're nasty animals...call in a pro.

I just called animal control. They will not come out. They suggested the yellow pages or buy my own trap. I think I will buy a trap tonight and give it a try myself. if I do not get anything within a few days I will call in the pros.

Edit: They also said light the area up and play music under there.

Edited by Footballjoe

I'd say raccoon for sure. The people over the back fence from me had a whole family living under their place for years. One of the raccoons was bright orange instead of the usual color and they were enormous. My wife mistook one in the dark for a small bear.

There are bigger traps than that.

If you catch one, try to take it somewhere deep into the woods. At least 5 miles from your house. Set it free there or it might find it's way back. Your other option is to fill a trash barrell with water and...well...you know, but you would need to stones to kill the thing.

Edited by Caveman_Nick