[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Invasion

Footballjoe

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching TV and waiting. Will check the trap before I go to work or have my son check it a little later.

These animals are nocturnal. Probably won't come out until well after dark. FYI, these animals are also transiant. So even if you don't capture it, it'll move on sooner than later.

I'd take the oppossum, any day. They fight like the french (i.e., the roll over and play dead).

Had a family of raccoons and a possum in my yard once, within ten feet of the house. The possum was snuffling around when the raccoons showed up. Possum stood stock still and the biggest raccoon bumbled closer. As it got within a couple of feet, the possum hissed at it. The raccoon completely ignored it, walked straight by and the raccoon family went out the side gate.

Doesn't prove much except the possum didn't roll over. He looked pretty mean.

Had a family of raccoons and a possum in my yard once, within ten feet of the house. The possum was snuffling around when the raccoons showed up. Possum stood stock still and the biggest raccoon bumbled closer. As it got within a couple of feet, the possum hissed at it. The raccoon completely ignored it, walked straight by and the raccoon family went out the side gate.

Doesn't prove much except the possum didn't roll over. He looked pretty mean.

In the past, oppossum have played dead when my dogs approached them. The one time my dogs approached a raccoon, it pulled a switch-blade.

Edited by yo mama

I've never seen a possum get aggressive. We don't have them around here, but they were everywhere in Oregon when I lived there. They mostly did the play dead routine or scurry away when we caught them in the garbage.

Racoons are firece little buggars - sometimes not so little. Any sort of grown coon will stand toe to toe with a hound two or three times its size and sometimes fight to a draw. I've had the buggars charge me in an effort to get away from the dogs. :D

I'll take either possum or raccoon instead of a skunk ...What I went through when I trapped a skunk ( thought I would catch raccoon with the trap ) was something I will never forget ....what a nightmare ...did not get sprayed but still not sure how that did not happen ....covered the cage and managed to set him free in the end

I think you have one of these. :D

Thanks, now I won't sleep for a week.

Hugh one might but for reasons you dont want to know

:bash:

Checked the trap today at about 2:00 PM. Cat food is still there and did not catch anythng yet. Did not hear anything last night.

Maybe it moved on... keep us posted! :D

Checked the trap today at about 2:00 PM. Cat food is still there and did not catch anythng yet. Did not hear anything last night.

Dang, i'm bored...you couldn't make something up? :D

i caught a racoon in one of those traps last fall when i was tryin to get the dang groundhog ... it was baited with cantelope. didn't even hiss at me :D i wasn't too thrilled about trying to let it go, but i opened the door and dropped him in a tiny creek/run-off

Yeah, coons and oppossum like bits of meat, fruit, or cat/dog food. Problem with the live animal traps (at least in my experience) is that smaller animals like mice can get in and gooble up the bait without actually triggering the device.