[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

schotty fired

jjpro11

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, nothing like having a 14-2 season and losing your whole coaching staff :D

That's really the amazing fact to me.....no OC/DC to move up into the position.

I know maybe they should hirer Jim Mora to HC, Turner as the OC and Parcells as the DC..... :D

either that or the jobs already Carroll's

Edited by nhoops

The reality, is that besides Marty, who I am glad to see go, the coaching situation in San Diego would be almost completely new at the highest levels and probably a one year gig anyway. This means another upheaval next year.

I think they waited too long. But, AJ would not sign off on some of the assistants that Marty wanted to bring in this year. At least whoever they bring in will bring stability and a staff that should be together for a while.

If it's not Mora, couldn't it end up being a one year gig for the next staff anyway? It's so late in the game to fill the OC, DC, that there's an outside chance that it could be an "upheaval year" anyway.

Then next year, go after someone like Cowher or Parcells, who would have had a year to relax and refresh?

I do agree with the Mora angle, no coach killer, and he's not in position to demand any control of personel decisions, which is something Parcells and Cowher would want whether it's this year or next year.

Edited by charty

Let the Pete Carroll rumors begin...

:D hated him as an NFL head Coach... but there's no denying his domination of the College game. Plus they wouldn't have to hire a moving van, so that's pretty much a done deal. :bash:

I wonder if Dennis Green is still looking for a gig. I'm sure he'd still like to crown somebody's a$$.

I've heard that he does already own a house in San Diego. :D

------

In general I think it was a bad idea to fire Marty. I disagree with Gritz that he will never be abel to win a postseason game. I think that's mostly just circumstance and not a reflection on his coaching skills.

They're taking a pretty big risk here just to make sure that the GM has a HC that he gets along with. But then again, they've got so much talent on that team, that just about any meatball will be able to step in an instantly have a winning season. The only downside is that anything less than a 14-2 record will be considered a step back from this last season. That's more than a little pressure to put on a new staff.

In general I think it was a bad idea to fire Marty. I disagree with Gritz that he will never be abel to win a postseason game. I think that's mostly just circumstance and not a reflection on his coaching skills.

They're taking a pretty big risk here just to make sure that the GM has a HC that he gets along with. But then again, they've got so much talent on that team, that just about any meatball will be able to step in an instantly have a winning season. The only downside is that anything less than a 14-2 record will be considered a step back from this last season. That's more than a little pressure to put on a new staff.

SD is still a one-trick pony. A new coach isn't going to go 14-2, that's for sure.

:D

Now that is some funny manure. His team this last year should have gone to the SB and defeated Chicago. Why didn't they? Poor coaching in the playoffs.

:D

Now that is some funny manure. His team this last year should have gone to the SB and defeated Chicago. Why didn't they? Poor coaching in the playoffs.

I think it had more to do with the turnovers than anything else (not to mention that NE is a pretty darn good team). You've made it more than clear how you feel about his coaching ability. And its not an argument without merit. I just happen to disagree with your overall conclusion.

I think it had more to do with the turnovers than anything else (not to mention that NE is a pretty darn good team). You've made it more than clear how you feel about his coaching ability. And its not an argument without merit. I just happen to disagree with your overall conclusion.

You don't think it is the HC's job to have his team ready for the game? Including the ability to play with a minimum of penalties and turnovers? Is it the HC's job to put a game plan together? Maybe he could have decided to get LT more than 9 touches in the 2nd half?

Putting all that aside ... don't you think SD defeats NE if they don't piss away two time outs for no reason what-so-ever? Who manages the time outs?

Pete Carroll might be interested in starting over somewhere if there is any truth that he's potentially going thru a messy high expensive divorce like Parcells?

If he's going through a messy divorce NOW it would behoove him to wait until the divorce is final before going somewhere to make more money.

My first thought on hearing this is that the NFL coaching carousel is getting crazier and crazier as pressures seem to continue to mount due to the amount of money involved with the NFL.

Right now, 2 of the 12 (so 1/6th) of the playoff teams have lost coaches, another had to take a leave of absence, and a fouth (Coughlin) barely held on to his job....and these were the best 12 teams in the league. Now, a lot of that wasn't necessarily on-field issues, but I think that goes to show that it's not just players that can have off-field problems, be they personal, financial or contractual, creep into the locker room.

If he's going through a messy divorce NOW it would behoove him to wait until the divorce is final before going somewhere to make more money.

Good point. But how often does a job like this come along. If you think about it maybe that was the plan and that's why they offered Shotty only a one year extension.

Here's another thing to think about that was speculated in a LA Times article:

USC assistant head coach Steve Sarkisian might have backed out of an expected offer to become coach of the Oakland Raiders to position himself to succeed Carroll or perhaps join him as offensive coordinator in San Diego. :D

Coached him in the Senior Bowl if I remember correctly. :D

IMO Chow would be a great hire. He coached Rivers at NC State and really helped his development. That offense was never better than when Chow was with him. He could really help River's development at the pro level as well.

I don't question the firing of Marty, I question the timing. He was obviously not fired because of his lack of wins in the playoffs. If that were the case, he would've been fired right after the loss. Nope, somebody pissed on somebody's Post toasties and now SD has to pick up the leftovers to take over as head coach and coordinators. Really bad timing.

On ESPN's Cold Pizza, they said the thing that broke the camel's back was that Schotty wanted to decide which coaches to bring in, while Smith wanted control. On one hand, I think it's counter productive to shove coaches, especially coordinators, down a HC's throat, but since Schotty refused to sign an extension, I can also see why Smith would want to do the hiring. One of em had to go, and since it looked like Schotty had one foot out the door.....

I wonder if this affects Turner's situation any?

My first thought on hearing this is that the NFL coaching carousel is getting crazier and crazier as pressures seem to continue to mount due to the amount of money involved with the NFL.

Right now, 2 of the 12 (so 1/6th) of the playoff teams have lost coaches, another had to take a leave of absence, and a fouth (Coughlin) barely held on to his job....and these were the best 12 teams in the league. Now, a lot of that wasn't necessarily on-field issues, but I think that goes to show that it's not just players that can have off-field problems, be they personal, financial or contractual, creep into the locker room.

The media speculated wildly that Coughlin would be fired. The NYG organization was stead fast in its support of him. Not sure how you think that translates to he "barely held onto his job".

Reid taking a LOA is totally unrelated to the coaching carousel. He is dealing with family issues unrelated to football. To include him doesn't seem appropriate.

The media speculated wildly that Coughlin would be fired. The NYG organization was stead fast in its support of him. Not sure how you think that translates to he "barely held onto his job".

Reid taking a LOA is totally unrelated to the coaching carousel. He is dealing with family issues unrelated to football. To include him doesn't seem appropriate.

If you don't think Coughlin was at some kind of risk after the way the team performed regardless of the votes of confidence, I think you are being a bit naiv

As far as Reid, I'm a huge supporter of his, but to say not including him with the rest would tell me my point didn't get across - the point is that the coaching profession has become so high pressured and has so many extraneous parts, that even the best of coaches that are actually enjoying success on the field are having difficult times, be it cause of personal lives, conflict with other management players or owners, on top of the normal "the team sucks".

The media was speculating Coughlin would be let go because just about every player on that team spoke out against him. Easier to get rid on 1 coach then 40-50 players.

I don't see Carroll going to SD, especially at this point in the season. He wouldn't be offered a lot of say in personal matters and he could get that in other places. Miami was offering him near total say so. Why would he go to San Diego without that power.

Chow would be a good hire and has more then put in his dues. I see SD going with a retread though rather then hiring a new coach. Mora, Martz and Marucci are the most likely ones to me.