[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Depot on-line customer service

Savage Beatings

So, I recently went in to my local Home Depot to ask about their deck designing software. The guy I talked to was a jerk, so I decided to write an e-mail to complain about him. Here is my e-mail and the reply that I received.

SAVAGE:

My wife and I recently found out that we would be getting a much larger

tax return this year than we had anticipated. We decided that this

Spring would be a perfect time to finally build a deck onto our house. I had

heard that Home Depot offered a free service that assists people in the

designing and planning of their decks. Since your store is just down

the block from me, I stopped in this last week to ask some questions in

order to get started.

The first gentleman to assist me at the Pro Desk said he was a fairly

new employee, so he brought me back to another area to get some

additional help from another gentleman, named Carl.

Carl was definitely knowledgeable. Unfortunatley he was also a

condescending prick. I don't know a whole lot about construction which

is why I was coming to you guys for help in the first place... but I

didn't anticipate that my lack of construction acumen would be met with

such clear disdain. Carl was impatient with me, talked down to me,

actually rolled his eyes at me at one point, and in general was just a

flat out jerk.

Your Home Depot store is only about a mile from my home, and you are

offering a free service that I actually need, but still I will not be

using your store's free service because of this employee. Got it? It's

free and it's still not worth it. I know there is a Lowes in my town

now, and a Menards down the highway. I will now go to one of them to get

the help that I need for this project. It might not amount to much in

the long run, but its potentially a good $5,000 in materials that Carl

just blew for your store.

Thanks for nothing. In earnest.

Savage Beatings

HOME DEPOT CONSUMER AFFAIRS:

Dear Mr. Beatings,

Thank you for contacting The Home Depot Customer Care.

We want to first apologize for any inconveniences you have experienced

due to the lack of adequate product knowledge of one of our associates

at the local Home Depot strives to hire, train and retain

knowledgeable associates who will exceed customer's expectations. We

apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Our company was built on respect for all individuals, and on behalf of

The Home Depot, we are sorry if you had an unpleasant shopping

experience. The feedback you provided will be taken very seriously and

will be used in the overall evaluation of the services we provide our

customers.

We kindly request you to contact your local Home Depot store and speak

with the store manager in regards to your request who will be able to

assist you in better way.

We would like to offer you a $10.00 Home Depot Gift Card in the hope

that your next shopping experience will be a more pleasurable one. In

addition, it?s a way for us to say thanks for taking the time to provide

us with this feedback.

Please respond with your physical address so that I can get this Gift

Card out to you as soon as possible.

Again, please accept our apologies for the circumstances you encountered

while shopping in our store.

If you would like to speak with a Customer Care professional, please

call us at 1-800-HOMEDEPOT (1-800-466-3337) and select option 3. We

would be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Dummy McDummerton

Customer Care

SAVAGE:

(sigh) Perhaps I have overestimated the reading comprehension skills of the Home Depot customer service department. It was not Carl's "lack of adequate product knowledge" that was the issue at all. On the contrary Carl seemed very knowledgeable. The issue is that Carl was a dick. He treated me as if I were a contemptible bother to him, rather than a customer.

But if your way of dealing with dreadfully bad customer relations is to buy off the victim of your contempt with a $10 gift card, then by all means, send it to the following address:

Savage Beatings

XXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXX

XXXXXXXX XX XXXXX

We'll see if they respond to that or just consider me sufficiently shut up with the $10 gift card. :D

I love that they tried to buy you off with a $10 gift card. Shows you exactly what they think of their customers. They're cheap and not too bright. :D

So, I recently went in to my local Home Depot to ask about their deck designing software. The guy I talked to was a jerk, so I decided to write an e-mail to complain about him. Here is my e-mail and the reply that I received.

SAVAGE:

HOME DEPOT CONSUMER AFFAIRS:

SAVAGE:

We'll see if they respond to that or just consider me sufficiently shut up with the $10 gift card. :D

you are a cheap date savage :D

For what it is worth... Home Depot's deck design service speced out the wrong parts for me and I had to return most of it. Plus, their lumber delivery service delivered me a bunch of crappy pieces of warped, split, and crappy wood. I ended up going to a lumber yard and picking it out piece by piece.

I can loan you a GREAT book on deck building if you are doing this project. I used it like a bible. Well... I used it like you would use a bible, technically.

pm me your address if you want it. I think it's a Home Depot publication, but the book wasn't a condescending dick about it.

For what it is worth... Home Depot's deck design service speced out the wrong parts for me and I had to return most of it. Plus, their lumber delivery service delivered me a bunch of crappy pieces of warped, split, and crappy wood. I ended up going to a lumber yard and picking it out piece by piece.

I can loan you a GREAT book on deck building if you are doing this project. I used it like a bible. Well... I used it like you would use a bible, technically.

pm me your address if you want it. I think it's a Home Depot publication, but the book wasn't a condescending dick about it.

I used to work at Home Depot a while ago, and in the Hardware department one of my buddy coworkers and I used to see how well we could BS are way into selling different products. :D It got to the point where we could tell these elaborate stories about why this drill (the more expensive) works better than another drill (the lesser expensive). It actually worked to, although most of the time we didn't really know much about what we were selling. :tup: I suppose it made the job more interesting and fun though, almost like a game.

I suppose the way I see it is you can't expect professional quality help from a minimum wage earning employee. :D

I My friends built a deck on my house a couple of summers ago. I started at Lowe's. The mucked up my order. They sounded like they knew what they were doing. Too bad the materials were wrong. I couldn't get any help at Home Depot. I went to Menard's. They had a great computer program for designing your deck. I designed it with the computer. It spit out a list of the materials that I needed.

I walked around the store and got everything that I needed. Then I went to their lumber yard and picked out the lumber to use. No problems. They were also cheaper than the other two.

I usually use the local smaller hardware store for most things these days. They go out of their way to help me. It costs a little more, but it's worth it.

Yeah, just buy a book and do it yourself. You remind me of Puddy.

Well, we do plan to do the building ourselves, but as far as desinging it and coming up with a materials list, etc. you can't be these free services (or so I am told). So, yes I am Puddy-like in some regards, but at least I'm willing to swing the hammer when the time comes.

Still, old Carl can suck my nut.

He needs to. Dorey is sinking all of the bonus money into his nephew's musical instrument shop. :D

The net-net-net is a loss-loss-loss for the Huddle, Home Depot, and the pot head nephew with dreams of selling second hand guitars to garage bands...