[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets release Barlow

Randall

February 21, 2007, 17:45

Jets :: RB

Jets Release RB Barlow

Dave Hutchinson, Newark Star-Ledger -

Jets RB Kevan Barlow requested and then was granted his release after refusing to take a pay cut, a source close to Barlow told The Star-Ledger last night. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the club has yet to make an announcement.

possible NY Giant now ..although i hope not :D

No way they already got a back similar to him.

No team is dumb enough to sign him thinking that he could take a large amount of carries... he's 2.7 and a cloud of dust. Spare as spare gets.

And to think that Barlow was drafted just outside a top 10 RB in 2004 in most leagues. :D

It's anyone's guess as to what the Jets will do with obtaining another RB. Blaylock is yet to be cut, but I also expect to see that happen. I don't think the Jets are likely to offer a first for Turner, but that is pure opinion at this point, and many disagree. The Jets have several other pressing areas of need, a CB, a NT or 3-4 DE, some help on the right side of the O line and perhaps a tweener OLB that can generate a pass rush.

Again, opinions abound, but Washington dodn't do anything that indicated he can't be a 20 touch RB. His size says differnetly, but that hasn't affected his play on the field, and yes, he could be another Dunn type. A smallish RB with speed that can take the load.

Last year, the Jets ran between the guards 62% of the time, and only two teams in the NFL ran up the middle more than they did. Ferguson is not a good run blocker, but both he and Mangold are outstanding at pulling and blocking in space. I expect to see more outside stuff next year, which would suit Washington nicely. I of course could be wrong on that, but I have to think the Jets are looking at ways to improve the ground game outside of getting O line help on the right side.

It's also another very subjective area, but I don't see the Jets giving up a one for Turner, even more so now with the coaching situation in SD. Norv Turner will be expected to win that division and win at least one playoff game. I don't think he'll want to let his solid back-up RB go, but AJ will call that shot. We'll have to see.

With my homer glasses on, I don't look for another retread RB like a Duckett to be brought in.... I'd look for the Jets to spend a fourth or so on another RB, given several other areas that they need help in. Washington was a second day pick, and I think this FO thinks they can find another second day jewel in the draft.

February 21, 2007, 17:45

Jets :: RB

Jets Release RB Barlow

Dave Hutchinson, Newark Star-Ledger -

Jets RB Kevan Barlow requested and then was granted his release after refusing to take a pay cut, a source close to Barlow told The Star-Ledger last night. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the club has yet to make an announcement.

I wonder if he understands the exchange rate -- because the only teams that might come close to prevent him from taking a pay cut are in Canada, and with the exchange rate, he's stiiiill looking at more coin ... He's taking a pay cut like it or not -- probably should have held onto the contract in NY -- unless, of course, he's figured out a way to go back to college and hooked in with one of Reggie Bush's sugar daddies.

haven't read anything to back this up, but right now barlow strikes me as a classic mike shanahan reclamation project. i believe the broncos loved the guy coming out of college as well. personally, i'd rather see the broncos draft someone, but i would not be the least bit surprised to see them at least talk to barlow.

haven't read anything to back this up, but right now barlow strikes me as a classic mike shanahan reclamation project. i believe the broncos loved the guy coming out of college as well. personally, i'd rather see the broncos draft someone, but i would not be the least bit surprised to see them at least talk to barlow.

Yep. Camp ought to be crowded with RBs this summer - T Bell, M Bell, Cobbs, Nash, maybe C Brown, maybe D Rhodes, and maybe Barlow - who Shanahan professed to loving before SF drafted him.

Ought to be interesting to see how it shakes out - except for T Bell/M Bell owners, of course...

Why trade away a 4th rounder for a guy to cut him one year later? Doesn't make much sense by the Jets.

Obviously, they expected more out of the guy. He wasn't even playing towards the end of the season. It's commonly referred to as a mistake. Lots of teams make mistakes. Clarett ring a bell?

The lack of a Jets running game however is not on the RB's. It's on the play calling (62% of runs were between the guards) and an O line that can't run block worth a plug nickel. Ferguson is awful, Moore at RG is pedestrian, and last year's starting RT was a washout from such storied units like SF and AZ the previous two years. Mangold is improving, and Kendall is slightly above average. This group is decent at pass protection, but run blocking? I can't recall a single play where the ball carrier got through the LoS without contact. Seriously.

Leon Washington turmed in some big plays, but all on dump offs where he had some space to run in. It doesn't look promising to improve, either, with Clement, last year's starting RT an UFA, and no replacement at this point on the horizon. LT would look bad behind this O line.

Obviously, they expected more out of the guy. He wasn't even playing towards the end of the season. It's commonly referred to as a mistake. Lots of teams make mistakes. Clarett ring a bell?

The lack of a Jets running game however is not on the RB's. It's on the play calling (62% of runs were between the guards) and an O line that can't run block worth a plug nickel. Ferguson is awful, Moore at RG is pedestrian, and last year's starting RT was a washout from such storied units like SF and AZ the previous two years. Mangold is improving, and Kendall is slightly above average. This group is decent at pass protection, but run blocking? I can't recall a single play where the ball carrier got through the LoS without contact. Seriously.

Leon Washington turmed in some big plays, but all on dump offs where he had some space to run in. It doesn't look promising to improve, either, with Clement, last year's starting RT an UFA, and no replacement at this point on the horizon. LT would look bad behind this O line.

Again. So why cut Barlow if he isn't the problem?