[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

great books

nuke'em ttg

For Valentines Day the Warden got me

Manhunt : The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer - By James L Swanson..... :tup: .....With no Football goin on, i'd like to get in as much reading as i can ........had a couple duds before i hit this one :D

:D What book have ya read ....that was so good .....you wanted to pass it on to somebody ??????????

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about anything by:

Vince Flynn

Lee Child

James Lee Burke

James Rollins

Jack Du Brul

Matthew Reilly

Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

Randy Wayne White

That is if you like fiction also.

I tend to stick with non fiction........i like my own fantasies.......and the ocassional Player Predictions :D

What would be your ONE pick Aqua........from the list above ???????

I tend to stick with non fiction........i like my own fantasies.......and the ocassional Player Predictions :D

Try James Lee Burke. Fun, tough guy, New Orleans noir. Always enjoyable and there are about 20 of them in the Dave Robicheiux series so lots of reading.

And my buddy is the agent for that Lincoln's killer book yer reading. The movie was being made before the book hit the shelves on a preempt and is already filming with Harrison Ford, I think. The author is a DC Republican thinktank guy and a kookoo. I think he has some of Lincoln's hair or scalp or something framed in his crib.

Try James Lee Burke. Fun, tough guy, New Orleans noir. Always enjoyable and there are about 20 of them in the Dave Robicheiux series so lots of reading.

And my buddy is the agent for that Lincoln's killer book yer reading. The movie was being made before the book hit the shelves on a preempt and is already filming with Harrison Ford, I think. The author is a DC Republican thinktank guy and a kookoo. I think he has some of Lincoln's hair or scalp or something framed in his crib.

Skins you are an excellent source of good reading material. What book(s) do you recommend for the JFK years?

To name a few for the Non-fiction. "Mind Hunter"-John Douglas, "Stranger Beside Me"-Ann Rule, "Underboss: Sammy the Bull Gravano's Story of Life in the Mafia"-Peter Maas, Currently reading "The Last Mafioso"-Ovid Demaris.

For some lighter bathroom reading, depending on the music era your from, I enjoyed Motley Crue-The Dirt (no reason those guys should be alive) David Lee Roth and Gene Simmons autobiography's.

Ah Ya........ :D .......the guy looks like a cross between Stephen King and Terry Nichols....here's one of his quotes from "about the author" type deal...... " in high school, instead of buying a used car, i purchased one of the rare original reward posters offering $100,000.00 reward for the Lincoln assassins" :D

Definently a different cat.......but i'd still urge anyone to read this

To name a few for the Non-fiction. "Mind Hunter"-John Douglas, "Stranger Beside Me"-Ann Rule, "Underboss: Sammy the Bull Gravano's Story of Life in the Mafia"-Peter Maas, Currently reading "The Last Mafioso"-Ovid Demaris.

For some lighter bathroom reading, depending on the music era your from, I enjoyed Motley Crue-The Dirt (no reason those guys should be alive) David Lee Roth and Gene Simmons autobiography's.

Ya .....Sammy the Bull would be worth a look........definently liked Maas's Valachie Papers..... :D

Two non-fiction books that I had no problem reading in just a couple of days each:

Flags of Our Fathers - James Bradley...... This book is amazing. The movie was TERRIBLE, however, so if you've seen it, please do not use it to guage whether or not the book is worth reading. Letter From Iwo Jima was the better movie of the two, by far, if you don't mind the sub-titles.

Zodiac - Robert Graysmith (staff writer for the SF Chronicle during the time that the murders took place)..... This book was very interesting to me, especially since the first 3 murders took place a couple of miles from where I work. I drove by these locations hundreds of times, and never realized how close I was until I started reading this book. Very interesting read on the most infamous serial killer in U.S. history never to be caught. The movie comes out next Friday, and I expect it to be much better than Flags of Our Fathers, although I'm sure it will still pale in comparison to the book.

Non-fiction:

Anything by Nelson DeMille (Charm School was my favority) or John Sanford (The Prey series). I have heard very good things about Vince Flynn, and will probably pick up one of his next.

Skins you are an excellent source of good reading material. What book(s) do you recommend for the JFK years?

Thank you HR.

Not one of my favorite areas of history, but I would tell anyone getting into reading about JFK to start with Arthur Schlesinger. His JFK Remembered and A Thousand Days: John F. Kennedy in the White House (National Book Award, Pulitzer) are excellent. Just remember his perspective: while an excellent historian, he was also a Kennedy buddy and part of the admin.

After those, there are a whole lot of other interesting books out there on JFK.

Edited by skins

Anything by Nelson DeMille (Charm School was my favority) or John Sanford (The Prey series). I have heard very good things about Vince Flynn, and will probably pick up one of his next.

Good call on John Sanford's Prey series, I enjoyed all of 'em. If you liked those, you would probabbly enjoy Michael Connelly's series of mystery novels featuring detective Harry Bosch also.

Fiction

I like Fantasy Books - RA Salvatore and Stephen R Donaldson, they both have pretty good series.

Non-Fiction -

I'm currently hitting The Discoverers by Daniel Boorstin

and

Carroll Quigley's Tragedy and Hope which I will follow with Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.