[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Cameron: maker of the movie 'The Titanic'

TheGrunt

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that you should walk around feeling sad that you don't believe in God. I'm saying that there would be an emptyness in myself if I lived that way but you may not feel the same way for yourself.

As far as Holy Rollers or anyother religion that feel like they have to pass out leaflets to try to convert people to their ways, I don't feel that way.

Not saying anything bad about Mormons, since I have friends that are Mormon and my wife's nephew married a Mormon. But one time they were standing out on the street corner passing out materials. It was 20 degrees below zero that day, so wouldn't that be a bad day to be asking people to stop and talk to them?

Hey. Careful there. Holy Rollers are more famously known for their supposed contortions while they are "slain in the spirit", things like "rolling" down the aisles of their church, jumping over pews, collapsing in a heap, handling snakes, etc. Handing out pamplets with cartoons of God sitting on a huge throne judging the sinners is not just the domain of us Holy Rollers.

My personal belief is God does the calling and those that hear His voice will respond. Those that don't hear His voice obviously won't respond. Don't believe in a god? No problemo. Have a nice day. You believe in God and want to know more? I'm more than happy to share.

Christianity is what God accomplished through Jesus Christ. Religion is what man is trying to accomplish.

Why? Because there has to be a purpose to life and this god provides that? Because I can't feel fulfilled without this notion of god? This sounds to me like your projecting your world and understanding onto others without a basis for doing so. Projecting on faith, so to speak. How do you know my existence is sad? We're both born, we both die. We both take advantage of the technological innovations our society has to offer us. Personally, I'm pretty happy with my life. I live life to the fullest and take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.

A little late in the conversation, but this is good info.

Thomas Aquinas and St Augustine were both great philosophers as well as Christian saints; and neither Jimmy nor Savage appear to be illogical fools, to bring it closer to home.

Faith and logic can co-exist quite comfortably; the pity is that too many believers don't seem to allow them to do so.

I think I've got it now:

Jimmy = Thomas Aquinas

Savage = St. Augustine

Kid = Antichrist

Christianity is what God accomplished through Jesus Christ. Religion is what man is trying to accomplish.

Ok, I need you to explain this distinction to me. If you're saying that Christianity is the underlying beliefs/morals/and philosophies on living as laid down by the life of Jesus Christ I would say that's really nice in theory but...that's not what's being sold by most Christians.

Ok, I need you to explain this distinction to me. If you're saying that Christianity is the underlying beliefs/morals/and philosophies on living as laid down by the life of Jesus Christ I would say that's really nice in theory but...that's not what's being sold by most Christians.

"You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Galatians 3:26-29). Our Father loves all his children. He is always on your side. And God + 1 = majority. It's always too soon to give up on him. Your Lord is ready to lead you into his perfect will for this day. Are you ready to follow?

How did they get a reference sample from Jesus, Mary, or Mary Magdalene to compare to the trace DNA that was found in the tombs? Just because the names on the tombs are the same as the Holy Family, doesn't prove anything. I wonder how many guys named Jesus are the son of Maria and married to Maria in Mexico City. I bet that there would be more than a few. I seriously doubt that this film will shake anyones' faith. The only effect it will have is on non-believers, who will blindly say "see it's not real", just as the faithful blindly say "we believe". This film isn't likely to answer anything.

for starters, his name was jesus not jesua

case closed

well actually, diktart, "jeshua" is much closer to how JC's name woulda been pronounced by his homies in first century palestine. "jesus" is more of a greek approximation.

i haven't read this whole thread yet, so maybe someone has already pointed this out....but in first century palestine, probably half of the people walking around were named jesus, mary, joseph. it's like going to vietnam and saying, "wow, look, i discovered the grave of 'nguyen'!" which, i'm sure, is why the primary archaelogist here is calling cameron's attention-whooring claims preposterous.

i'm curious though, i wonder if cameron coulda made more money and garnered more attention for himself by discovering "proof" of the da vinci code bullchit, or by discovering "proof" that is just as specious that somehow bolsters the biblical account. either way, there are all too many eager fools waiting to lap it up.

Spirituality is the belief or feeling that there's something bigger than humans in this world and that it deserves at least our acknowledgement if not our adulation. Faith is belief in a higher power without empiracle evidence to support this power's existence. Religion is the rules by which this higher power is worshiped.

i think your definitions here are all shot to hell. but this thread seems headed to purgatory itself, so i probably shouldn't waste much time elaborating. :D

How did they get a reference sample from Jesus, Mary, or Mary Magdalene to compare to the trace DNA that was found in the tombs? Just because the names on the tombs are the same as the Holy Family, doesn't prove anything. I wonder how many guys named Jesus are the son of Maria and married to Maria in Mexico City. I bet that there would be more than a few. I seriously doubt that this film will shake anyones' faith. The only effect it will have is on non-believers, who will blindly say "see it's not real", just as the faithful blindly say "we believe". This film isn't likely to answer anything.

James Cameron says he has proof that Jesus married Mary and that she bore him a son, Judah, who was buried alongside them.

Six had names etched into them, which were translated as Jesus son of Joseph, Judah son of Jesus, Maria, Mariamne (thought to be Mary Magdalene's real name), Joseph and Matthew.

Though the bones had long since been reburied elsewhere, as was the custom, tiny traces of DNA left in the caskets were tested.

The results for the coffins labelled Jesus and Mariamne showed the two were not related by blood, leading Cameron and his team to conclude they were married.

link

The results for the coffins labelled Jesus and Maryanne showed the two were not related by blood, leading Cameron and his team to conclude they were married.

So Jesus preferred Maryanne to Ginger? Ok, lightening bolt, come strike me now. :D

Edited by MikesVikes

i'm curious though, i wonder if cameron coulda made more money and garnered more attention for himself by discovering "proof" of the da vinci code bullchit, or by discovering "proof" that is just as specious that somehow bolsters the biblical account. either way, there are all too many eager fools waiting to lap it up.

Given the climate in Hollywood, I'm sure the safest route is the one he has chosen. I'd like to see him take on a similar project to prove that the prophet Muhammad was not a descendent of Abraham. He'd last about a month. :D

So Jesus preferred Maryanne to Ginger? Ok, lightening bolt, come strike me now. :D

Six had names etched into them, which were translated as Jesus son of Joseph, Judah son of Jesus, Maria, Mariamne (thought to be Mary Magdalene's real name), Joseph and Matthew.

Hey. Careful there. Holy Rollers are more famously known for their supposed contortions while they are "slain in the spirit", things like "rolling" down the aisles of their church, jumping over pews, collapsing in a heap, handling snakes, etc. Handing out pamplets with cartoons of God sitting on a huge throne judging the sinners is not just the domain of us Holy Rollers.

My personal belief is God does the calling and those that hear His voice will respond. Those that don't hear His voice obviously won't respond. Don't believe in a god? No problemo. Have a nice day. You believe in God and want to know more? I'm more than happy to share.

Fair enough. You can change the word Holy Roller to Bible Thumper because that is what I meant.

"You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Galatians 3:26-29). Our Father loves all his children. He is always on your side. And God + 1 = majority. It's always too soon to give up on him. Your Lord is ready to lead you into his perfect will for this day. Are you ready to follow?

Exactly what does this have to do with the price of eggs in China?

I asked him to explain what he sees as the distinction between Christianity and religion and you drop this quote from the Bible in here that does nothing and explains nothing. This is exactly why you are incapable of having a rational discussion on the topic. You behave much more like a Zen philosopher than a teacher of Christianity.

i think your definitions here are all shot to hell. but this thread seems headed to purgatory itself, so i probably shouldn't waste much time elaborating. :D

I did say they were simplistic. They were primarily to draw a distinction between the three concepts. Feel free to toss out better ones.

interesting:

The current way of celebrating one's becoming a Bar Mitzvah did not exist in the time of the Bible, Mishnah or Talmud. This ceremonial observation developed in medieval times.

So jesus wouldn't have had a hockey themed one.