[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calvin Johnson turns a 4.35 40

Bronco Billy

Jolly - between Davis and Trueblood, don't you think the bucs are good (and young) at tackle at this point. I think they should take CJ if he's there / trade down if not....

Oh absolutely, Davis (RG) and Trueblood (RT) should shore up the right side of that line for years to come. However, the left side of the line is what concerns me. But they did show some promise at the end of last season. My point is that if CJ is gone when the Bucs are up then that would mean Joe Thomas would be sitting there. Pick CJ if he is there, if not go after Thomas and run the hell outta Caddy next season.

Also, trading down is not a bad option either. They have many holes to fill. I just think Thomas would be a wise pick.

Edited by Jolly Rodgers

Unofficial 40-yard dash times from today's combine workouts.

Yamon Figurs - 4.30

Jason Hill - 4.32

Calvin Johnson - 4.35

Robert Meachem - 4.36

Peterson - 4.38

David Clowney - 4.36

Aundrae Allison - 4.39

Steve Breaston- 4.41

Paul Williams - 4.41

Steve Smith - 4.44

Anthony Gonzalez - 4.44

Craig Davis - 4.46

Johnnie Lee Higgins - 4.48

Marquay McDaniel - 4.51

Ryne Robinson - 4.51

Ryan Moore - 4.59

This is a very strong wide receiver class coming out of college this year...it has been rumoured that as much as 7 wideouts will be selected in the 1st round.

Calvin is a freak but quality recievers can be had throughout the first 2 rounds of this year's draft

Edited by Return Of S&B

because they desperately need a QB, and don't need a WR (assuming moss and porter are back and in good moods).

They desperately need a handful of other things, like tackles and guards and centers. Like I've said in other posts regarding the Raiders, taking a QB just to take a QB doesn't make sense to me. You have veterans who can come in and handle the offense with the likes of Damon Huard and Jeff Garcia who can give Kiffin a chance to worry about developing something else his first couple of seasons.

Taking a WR that appears to be a unique blend of size, speed, and ability that comes along once in a handful of years regardless of what kind of depth is at the position seems like a reasonable thing to do (see Bush, Reggie). Not saying I'd do it if I were in their shoes (I'd be most inclined to take a hard look at Joe Thomas), but it really isn't an outlandish thought.

IMO, when a team decides whether or not they should pass on a player at a position that is not a need or whether they should draft said player is when looking at the last "X" drafts, where "X" is the average career length of players drafted at that position in the (say) first round.

So, if WRs drafted in the first round have an average NFL career of 6 seasons, then, you need to look back at the last six NFL drafts to see where a guy like Calvin Johnson would rank if all of those players were coming out at the same time.

If you don't need CJ, but he's in, say, the top 10% of all first round WRs over the past six years, you may need to take him regardless of your need ... UNLESS ... there is another player that grades out higher.

IMO, if you're at the top of the draft, you need to take guys that can be "career difference makers" and focus less on need. Then again, I'm not a GM in the National Football League...so, what do I know.

IMO, when a team decides whether or not they should pass on a player at a position that is not a need or whether they should draft said player is when looking at the last "X" drafts, where "X" is the average career length of players drafted at that position in the (say) first round.

So, if WRs drafted in the first round have an average NFL career of 6 seasons, then, you need to look back at the last six NFL drafts to see where a guy like Calvin Johnson would rank if all of those players were coming out at the same time.

If you don't need CJ, but he's in, say, the top 10% of all first round WRs over the past six years, you may need to take him regardless of your need ... UNLESS ... there is another player that grades out higher.

IMO, if you're at the top of the draft, you need to take guys that can be "career difference makers" and focus less on need. Then again, I'm not a GM in the National Football League...so, what do I know.

I agree with ya Muck. If you truly believe that the guy is the best thing out there, and can be an impact type player for years to come then you draft the guy.

Didn't Matt Jones run a 4.38 at 6-6 245?

6-6 245 and 6-5 240 are practically the same thing, but this is not the first time we have seen someone this big run that fast of a time aka Vernon Davis at 250lbs was probably more impressive.

that is true, but the thing is, when you talk about this guy's strengths as a WR, speed isn't even at the top of the list. when everyone was assuming he'd probably run in the 4.45 range, he was STILL considered an easy top 5 prospect, based on his hands, body control, etc. running as fast as he did just puts him off the charts, and makes scouts salivate even more.

of course, he still may not go until the 4th pick....but at the very least, he improved the chances of a team trading up to grab him.

Does anybody think the Browns may trade down?

GM Savage traded down 1 spot last year with Baltimore when Baltimore wanted Ngata and Cleveland was going to take Wimbley anyways.

Good possiblity exists that Cleveland could get Peterson in the 6-9 range right? So the Browns could either trade down with another team, or trade down with Tampa, pick up a 3rd or something, and still get Peterson for sure.

Does anybody think the Browns may trade down?

GM Savage traded down 1 spot last year with Baltimore when Baltimore wanted Ngata and Cleveland was going to take Wimbley anyways.

Good possiblity exists that Cleveland could get Peterson in the 6-9 range right? So the Browns could either trade down with another team, or trade down with Tampa, pick up a 3rd or something, and still get Peterson for sure.

maybe minnesota at 7? :D

maybe minnesota at 7? :D

I don't think there is much of a chance that Minnesota trades up this year. They have too many needs to sacrifice any of their picks, and there will certainly be quality players available at the #7 spot. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings traded down in order to gain a pick. But then again, the Vikes are not exactly draft savvy, so I guess anything goes. :D