[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cables for HD TV

Mark5

What was the website to get the cables for a HD TV for arounf 15-20 dollars?

Looks like I will have a 50 inch within the week but they are wanting like 75 bucks for the cables.

I have chosen the Panasonic TH-50PX60U Plasma, before I do buy it are there any horror stories about this one?

Looks like I will have a 50 inch within the week but they are wanting like 75 bucks for the cables.

I have chosen the Panasonic TH-50PX60U Plasma, before I do buy it are there any horror stories about this one?

great set.

That is a GREAT TV Set. I bought the 42" as a family Christmas gift (waited outside at Best Buy for Black Friday and got it for $999) and liked it so much that I just moved it to the bedroom and bought the 50" over the weekend ($1799 at HHGregg and the mgr there discounted it another 10%.) Best Plasma on the market that isnt 1080p...and the 50" Panasonic 1080p is $4500, and there ain't $2700 worth of extra resolution there.

tweaksThanks guys, I was reading a forum on tweaks and settings and it said you had to "break in" the set.. Is this true?

Not sure about that, but the reason I posted that link is because it's the best for all sorts of info. I think Kid Cid originally posted it, but not sure. :D I'm glad you liked it! I'm still following the posts on my TV. It's like 35+ pages long! :D Lots of good info. Enjoy Mark!

I bought the Gold plated HDMI cable from monoprice in the 24 awg I should have gone with the thinner 28 awg. I would recommend the thinner only because they are more plyable in the often tight spaces of entertainment centers. Thick beefy cables, well made...

Great cables and they got here quickly I ordered some others and they where awesome as well. 2 HDMI, 1 optical audio, and a 3 RCA Component

Not sure about that, but the reason I posted that link is because it's the best for all sorts of info. I think Kid Cid originally posted it, but not sure. :D I'm glad you liked it! I'm still following the posts on my TV. It's like 35+ pages long! :D Lots of good info. Enjoy Mark!

AVS forums rule. I always look up hacks for whatever DVR I have on there. They taught me how to program the 30-second skip into my Comcast remote. priceless.

AVS forums rule. I always look up hacks for whatever DVR I have on there. They taught me how to program the 30-second skip into my Comcast remote. priceless.

Really??? If you still have the link I'd love to have it.

I'm getting a new Logitech Harmony 880 today. Can't wait.

Really??? If you still have the link I'd love to have it.

I'm getting a new Logitech Harmony 880 today. Can't wait.

[rul=http://www.dcortesi.com/2005/05/04/motorola-dct6412-comcast-dvr-30-second-skip/]Here[/url] I just googled it. It's not a link to AVS, but it's the same trick.

I mapped it to the little + button down on the PiP controls which don't work anyway.

[rul=http://www.dcortesi.com/2005/05/04/motorola-dct6412-comcast-dvr-30-second-skip/]Here[/url] I just googled it. It's not a link to AVS, but it's the same trick.

I mapped it to the little + button down on the PiP controls which don't work anyway.

looks good atomic, thanks!

I own this tv and love it (Did quite a bit of research on it before I bought it).

I have 2 friends that also own the set and a 3rd friend who bought the 42" version. All love it.

Enjoy!

looks good atomic, thanks!

1) Press the “Cable” button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.

2) Press and hold the “Setup” button until the “Cable” button blinks twice.

3) Type in the code 994. The “Cable” button will blink twice

4) Press (do not hold) the “Setup” button

5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip)

6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip

tweaksThanks guys, I was reading a forum on tweaks and settings and it said you had to "break in" the set.. Is this true?

I ran this DVD for the first 100 hours to be safe (mostly overnight). Its also nice to have if you ever run into any burn in problems down the road...just pop in the DVD and it should clear things up in a short time (Note I've never had any major burn i problems).

This website will tell you a bunch of stuff including how to access some hidden menu on the panasonic that will tell you the running hours. It is displayed in hexidecimal format so you'll have to do the conversion.

There are calibration DVD's out there but I ended up going with these settings after my 100 hour burn in period and am happy with them.

Edit: I also wanted to add that I've bought quite a few HDMI and Fiber Optic Digital Audio cables from Monoprice and highly recommend them.

Edited by myhousekey

I think I understand what the 30-second skip is, but please explain it if you could. And is it worth doing?

I bought the Gold plated HDMI cable from monoprice in the 24 awg I should have gone with the thinner 28 awg. I would recommend the thinner only because they are more plyable in the often tight spaces of entertainment centers. Thick beefy cables, well made...

Remember that the farther you go, the greater signal loss you will get with a thinner wire. While it's a digital signal, the signal still needs to be strong enough to be shown. If your cable is too thin and/or too long, you may start to get pixelation, drop outs, etc.

I think I understand what the 30-second skip is, but please explain it if you could. And is it worth doing?

For skipping com'ls. Everytime you hit the button, it jumps in 30 sec. increments.

Remember that the farther you go, the greater signal loss you will get with a thinner wire. While it's a digital signal, the signal still needs to be strong enough to be shown. If your cable is too thin and/or too long, you may start to get pixelation, drop outs, etc.

i have to verify but i think you can run a 28AWG up to 50' with no issues...as far as for most home setups 99.99% of people would never have the need to go to a larger Cable

i've got that remote and i love it.

I've had the Harmony 659 for 2 years. It's great, but as the software/website changed, I think it's a little harder to really get into it and tweak it. They sort of dummyfied it. I did the initial install yesterday, but it's far from working correctly. I think I over identified the equipment. Their tech support is top notch, so they be getting a call later.

That is what I was thinking, but which button is it that you press?

You have to program the remote using the instructions above to add the feature to it.

So when I'm watching a program off the DVR, and a commercial comes on, I hit the 30 second skip button until I see the show, then the 10 second back button once. I can burn through a commercial break and be back to my program in 8 seconds.

It's much cooler than fast forwarding.