[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tarvaris Jackson

biggamer3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on what they do to:

1) Improve the WR position.

2) Improve the play calling. Throw it past the first down marker and mix it up a bit instead of run, run, short pass, punt.

If the 2 above happen, Jackson will be OK but realistically best case scenario he probably won't start putting up much for numbers until the last 1/3 of the season.

• 2 months later...

Just caught this snippet from Tony Richardson talking about Tarvaris Jackson...

Richardson tells a great story about Jackson's leadership qualities. Last preseason, Jackson gets in with the first team during a game. The veterans are joking around in the huddle. The first year quarterback screams at the team, "This is my huddle -- shut up and pay attention." That went a long way with the guys in the locker room.

I know Tarvaris is currently a great unknown, but as a Vikings homer who is obviously hoping for the best, that little snippet above is exactly the kind of thing that I like to hear. They have the kid working every day in what they call Quarterback College, and his raw talent could be coached into greatness if he is handle properly. Too bad we don't have a superstar veteran WR to help him out.

I think TJ will spend most of this season on fantasy waiver wires unless you are in serious trouble...

I still look for him to be an efficient QB in a few years if they can add a big play WR to the crap they currently have...

one thing to watch is if the Patriots cut loose Stallworth, considering they got him thinking they can't get Moss...I've heard rumblings a bit back about Stallworth being let go already...

the addition of Stallworth in Vikingland would help TJ out for about 8-10 games tops....but his presence would be valuable..

Watching this guys is truly painful. I can't believe, given Brad Childress' history in a potent Philly offense, that they haven't given themselves any better options behind him besides Bollinger and Drew Henson.

That game last year against Green Bay (where he put up that monster 10-20 and 50 yds passing line) reminded me of the old Doug Pederson era in Philly. Doesn't help the value of Chester Taylor or Adrian Peterson either with this guy in there. The lines will be stacked.

Watching this guys is truly painful. I can't believe, given Brad Childress' history in a potent Philly offense, that they haven't given themselves any better options behind him besides Bollinger and Drew Henson.

That game last year against Green Bay (where he put up that monster 10-20 and 50 yds passing line) reminded me of the old Doug Pederson era in Philly. Doesn't help the value of Chester Taylor or Adrian Peterson either with this guy in there. The lines will be stacked.

He is basically a rookie this year as most of last year was working with the scout team until the Vikings were eliminated from playoff contention. I would not judge him by his 1st start in Green Bay. He had not worked with the 1st team very much, The right side of the offensive line was terrible and he was playing on an injured knee. He was not mobile to take off and run. Last, he had no playmakers surrounding him.

I think he will have his fair share of problems this year and will struggle at times, but it will be easier this year than last because some skill position players were upgraded, he knows the offense better and will have worked with the 1st team all off season.

OTA Notes:

-Coach Childress seemed extra enthusiastic today, joking with Dwight Smith, running around and generally looking more comfortable with things.

-Once again today the most consistent and polished receiver on the field was free agent pickup Bobby Wade. He runs great routes and makes every catch, he could wind up one the most underrated off-season signings in the league.

"I'm definitely going to try and take full advantage of this," said Wade. "I had a chance to be this guy earlier in my career, but obviously not as polished, not as experienced as I am now."

-Sidney Rice on the other hand had a bit of a rough day and showed his youth and inexperience on a few occasions. New wide receivers coach George Stewart was on Rice hard today for running very sloppy routes and that seemed to take away from his concentration later as he dropped a few catchable passes from Tarvaris Jackson.

-A bit of a scary moment for Rice and the coaching staff during 7-on-7 drills as Rice caught a pass in the short middle of the field and stopped to cut only to be run over by cornerback Ronyell Whitaker. Everyone walked away fine, but that's just the sort of thing everyone is trying to avoid right now.

-Jackson meanwhile looked much more sharp today than he did on Tuesday. His passes were on point and he seemed to go to the right spot with the ball more often than not.

-7-on-7 work was highlighted by a sweet interception made by linebacker Chad Greenway. Greenway read the seam route by tight end Vianthe Shiancoe, dropped into coverage and stepped into the passing lane right on time.

-Shiancoe had a very nice bounce back day and showed a little bit why the team is so confident in him. He is an impressive athlete and hopefully for the Vikings he'll continue to improve.

"To tell you the truth right now I don't have a life," joked Shiancoe. "Once I get my football down I might try to get a little life, but for now all I do is just come to work, study my playbook, watch film and go to the hotel and sleep."

-Say what you want about the guy, but Dwight Smith might be the most entertaining talker in the NFL pound-for-pound. The guy had his mouth on full alert today, barking at anyone and everyone.

One particularly funny moment came as Martin Nance tried to turn and run past Smith down the sideline. Smith had the angle but made sure Nance knew he wouldn't get by him by yelling, "you must be crazy" for about 15 yards as he chased him down.

-Adrian Peterson wows not only us in the media, but his teammates as well. Near the end of practice during full team work, Peterson caught a swing pass and put a move on Whitaker that drew oohs and ahhs from his teammates on the sidelines as he left Whitaker in his wake.

Not even the greatest of QB's start out looking great when the first get the start (as a general rule anyway - not always). But anyone writing off Tarvaris based upon his first couple of outings is being unreasonably and ridiculously hard on him. He may indeed end up being a bust, but there's is no way you can make that call at this point.

I think that he won't stuggle as much as he did last year. He is healthy, great work ethic, learning the system, running with 1st team offense, added offensive skill players in draft, he can run if in trouble, rocket of an arm.....I think he will be fine. At least give the guy a chance, good fantasy QB....prolly not but he will make some plays! :D

So far everything about Tavaris Jackson smacks of Quincy Carter to me. And other than adding Adrian Peterson (when they already had a top ten RB in yardage), they did very little to help out Jackson. The Vikings as a team only threw for 11 touchdowns last year to rank #31 in that category in the NFL. They ranked bottom ten in sacks allowed and interceptions.

They only had one tight end with more than 47 yards in 2006. So they dropped him (Wiggins). They added Shiancoe who has done almost nothing in NY.

They only had three wideouts who had ANY touchdowns in 2006. That was Travis Taylor with 651/3 (team leader). They released him. They had Marcus Robinson who had 381/4. They released him. The only remaing wideout with any TDs in 2006 is Billy McMullen with 307/2. They lost their two top WRs and bring back McMullen and Williamson (455/0). Bethel Johnson had only 156/0 and he is gone. So entering 2007, the only wideout from 2006 they kept who did anything was McMullen and his big 23 catches for 307 yards and two TD's. Right now, the best looking wideout they brought in is Bobby Wade. A guy who after 4 years in the league never had more than 481 receiving yards in any season nor more than two touchdowns in his career - he'll fit right in.

The WR crew is the flop Williamson who is not the kind of WR suited for a WCO. McMullen who would not be more than a #4 on any other team. Bobby Wade on his third team looking for his first 500 yard season in five years and maybe his third NFL touchdown. Cortez Hankton who in 5 years has a career best of 166 yards and who is also in search of his thrid career NFL touchdown. They draft Sidney Rice who looks great in comparison but who has already struggled wearing only shorts and a T-shirt. This passing offense smacks of being one of the worst in the league almost without any doubt.

Drafting Jackson at the end of the 2nd round was considered a big reach by almost everyone and throwing him into a starting role with only Bollinger to fall back on is almost inconceivable. I personally expected a lot more from Childress when he left PHI but so far this is one punchless looking passing attack. I would not want Jackson as my #3 fanasy QB and I can guarantee you that there is no MIN WR that will make it on any team I draft.

Tavaris Jackson as a starter is one of the top "you have to be kidding me" roster moves I can think of this year.

So far everything about Tavaris Jackson smacks of Quincy Carter to me. And other than adding Adrian Peterson (when they already had a top ten RB in yardage), they did very little to help out Jackson.

Perhaps you need to be reminded of a little miracle I like to call Todd Lowber. :D

:D

Perhaps you need to be reminded of a little miracle I like to call Todd Lowber. :D

:D

I can honestly say that this is the first time I have ever heard of Ramapo College. It sounds like a stop on a Disney cruise.

So far everything about Tavaris Jackson smacks of Quincy Carter to me. And other than adding Adrian Peterson (when they already had a top ten RB in yardage), they did very little to help out Jackson. The Vikings as a team only threw for 11 touchdowns last year to rank #31 in that category in the NFL. They ranked bottom ten in sacks allowed and interceptions.

They only had one tight end with more than 47 yards in 2006. So they dropped him (Wiggins). They added Shiancoe who has done almost nothing in NY.

They only had three wideouts who had ANY touchdowns in 2006. That was Travis Taylor with 651/3 (team leader). They released him. They had Marcus Robinson who had 381/4. They released him. The only remaing wideout with any TDs in 2006 is Billy McMullen with 307/2. They lost their two top WRs and bring back McMullen and Williamson (455/0). Bethel Johnson had only 156/0 and he is gone. So entering 2007, the only wideout from 2006 they kept who did anything was McMullen and his big 23 catches for 307 yards and two TD's. Right now, the best looking wideout they brought in is Bobby Wade. A guy who after 4 years in the league never had more than 481 receiving yards in any season nor more than two touchdowns in his career - he'll fit right in.

The WR crew is the flop Williamson who is not the kind of WR suited for a WCO. McMullen who would not be more than a #4 on any other team. Bobby Wade on his third team looking for his first 500 yard season in five years and maybe his third NFL touchdown. Cortez Hankton who in 5 years has a career best of 166 yards and who is also in search of his thrid career NFL touchdown. They draft Sidney Rice who looks great in comparison but who has already struggled wearing only shorts and a T-shirt. This passing offense smacks of being one of the worst in the league almost without any doubt.

Drafting Jackson at the end of the 2nd round was considered a big reach by almost everyone and throwing him into a starting role with only Bollinger to fall back on is almost inconceivable. I personally expected a lot more from Childress when he left PHI but so far this is one punchless looking passing attack. I would not want Jackson as my #3 fanasy QB and I can guarantee you that there is no MIN WR that will make it on any team I draft.

Tavaris Jackson as a starter is one of the top "you have to be kidding me" roster moves I can think of this year.

the one thing that Jackson has over Carter is better coaching towards his position...

Parcells geared his playcalling to mask Carter's many glaring weaknesses and he did a fine job working around them..........for the 1st half of the season,...

Jackson has Childress who is a QB friendly coach and from what I recall, Childress brought some of his own hand-picked guys to come in and help him right the ship...

I mean...Jackson is still very limited and was drafted at least 3 rounds too early, but as long as he's coachable, his weaknesses can be masked as well.....plus the 2-headed monster in the backfield to take some pressure off....

...now all they need is someone who lines up at WR and can actually catch the ball :D

.....plus the 2-headed monster in the backfield to take some pressure off....

I still don't get this. The Vikes two best players by far can only be on the field one at a time, unless they go with a 2 RB set, which seems unlikely to say the least. How is Peterson / Taylor supposed to make any impression against regular 8 and 9 man fronts? That O-line is going to have to be magnificent just to keep Jackson out of intensive care.

I see 4-12 in the Vikings future - and the 4 will be close.

I still don't get this. The Vikes two best players by far can only be on the field one at a time, unless they go with a 2 RB set, which seems unlikely to say the least. How is Peterson / Taylor supposed to make any impression against regular 8 and 9 man fronts? That O-line is going to have to be magnificent just to keep Jackson out of intensive care.

I see 4-12 in the Vikings future - and the 4 will be close.

I think they can work both RB's into the fold...whether it's spelling eachother or at the same time....because it's the WCO....

also, did they cut Tony Richardson....or is he still there?....

I'd also keep an eye out where Stallworth lands after the Patriots 'likely' let him go...he'd be perfect for the Vikings....

Anybody who is writing off Jackson already is about as correct as someone who has reserved a spot for him in Canton. Nobody knows how good or bad the guy will be. The odds are stacked against him for having immediate success, as they are for any young QB. But to come out and say for example he's Quincy Carter is really assuming a whole lot.

I can honestly say that this is the first time I have ever heard of Ramapo College. It sounds like a stop on a Disney cruise.

Well it is in Jersey.

The Jackson situation seems similar to what McNabb stepped into in Philly. No WR's, the running game was worse here and our O-line was pretty sad as well. Granted McNabb was considered more talented but the situation is similar IMO

I vote no. Tavaris Jackson is still a rook, and not a highly drafted one at that. Maybe he will be really good down the line but he needs to learn the game a bit before the Vikes just throw him out there to get abused.

He was drafted in the second round... Is that not high?

He was drafted in the second round... Is that not high?

That's one of the problems. Most thought that was way too high for him...

Well it is in Jersey.

The Jackson situation seems similar to what McNabb stepped into in Philly. No WR's, the running game was worse here and our O-line was pretty sad as well. Granted McNabb was considered more talented but the situation is similar IMO

Except McNabb was the second overall pick in 1999 in a QB rich year and Jackson was taken at the end of the second round when every one expected him to last to the fourth or fifth round. McNabb added a lot more to that equation than Jackson did.