[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tarvaris Jackson

biggamer3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far everything about Tavaris Jackson smacks of Quincy Carter to me. And other than adding Adrian Peterson (when they already had a top ten RB in yardage), they did very little to help out Jackson. The Vikings as a team only threw for 11 touchdowns last year to rank #31 in that category in the NFL. They ranked bottom ten in sacks allowed and interceptions.

I think you can attribute the low TD throws to Brad Johnson’s conservative play and a combination of the poor wide receiver play. The offense is in dire need of playmakers at the WR position.

They only had one tight end with more than 47 yards in 2006. So they dropped him (Wiggins). They added Shiancoe who has done almost nothing in NY.

IMO - Getting rid of Wiggins was good. Wiggins is fat and slow and could not stretch the field. He was will known for the 5 yard pass and jump over the defender. 46 receptions for 386 yards is not spectacular. Shiancoe is more atheletic and hopefully will be an upgrade. He has done almost nothing in NY because he was playing behind Jeremy Shockey. Not a lot of TE’s in the league who play behind great TE”S do very much. That doesn’t mean that he won’t do well in a new system and as the #1 guy. A lot of good things have come out of OTA’s about his work ethic.

They only had three wideouts who had ANY touchdowns in 2006. That was Travis Taylor with 651/3 (team leader). They released him. They had Marcus Robinson who had 381/4. They released him. The only remaing wideout with any TDs in 2006 is Billy McMullen with 307/2. They lost their two top WRs and bring back McMullen and Williamson (455/0). Bethel Johnson had only 156/0 and he is gone. So entering 2007, the only wideout from 2006 they kept who did anything was McMullen and his big 23 catches for 307 yards and two TD's. Right now, the best looking wideout they brought in is Bobby Wade. A guy who after 4 years in the league never had more than 481 receiving yards in any season nor more than two touchdowns in his career - he'll fit right in.

The WR crew is the flop Williamson who is not the kind of WR suited for a WCO. McMullen who would not be more than a #4 on any other team. Bobby Wade on his third team looking for his first 500 yard season in five years and maybe his third NFL touchdown. Cortez Hankton who in 5 years has a career best of 166 yards and who is also in search of his thrid career NFL touchdown. They draft Sidney Rice who looks great in comparison but who has already struggled wearing only shorts and a T-shirt. This passing offense smacks of being one of the worst in the league almost without any doubt.

The players they let go weren’t breaking any records and stuff like that. They are all 3rd and 4th string material. I think they upgraded the squad by letting them go. Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson did not have a 100 yard game in 2005 and 2006. Marcus was always hurt and Travis could not get open. As for the receivers that are left, McMullen was brought last year to help others learn the new system. I am not sure how long he will be on the roster. Bobby Wade will most likely play out of the slot and Sidney Rice has lot of upside. I haven’t seen a rookie WR not named Randy Moss come into the league that didn’t struggle.

Drafting Jackson at the end of the 2nd round was considered a big reach by almost everyone and throwing him into a starting role with only Bollinger to fall back on is almost inconceivable. I personally expected a lot more from Childress when he left PHI but so far this is one punchless looking passing attack. I would not want Jackson as my #3 fanasy QB and I can guarantee you that there is no MIN WR that will make it on any team I draft.

I don't think it matters where he was drafted. The question is; can he play? If they did not think he could play, they would have drafted Quinn or went after Schaub. I agree that these players won't be on most fantasy teams roster this.

Tavaris Jackson as a starter is one of the top "you have to be kidding me" roster moves I can think of this year.

It doesn’t make sense to bring in another veteran. They tried that last year. That would have been Williamson 4th QB had they done that. The best thing is to start Jackson and see what he’s got.

What’s the difference between Jackson and Schaub?

Schaub was drafted in the 3rd round does not have NFL starting experience and yet he was traded for a second rounder. He has yet to win a regular season game and his completion percentage is under 50%. Schaub is getting paid a 6 yr $48 million contract with the 20 million over the 1st 3 years. Jackson is getting 2.8 million over four years. I am willing to bet Jackson has a better year stat wise; games won, total touchdowns/interceptions and completion percentage.

Edited by Outshined

He was drafted in the second round... Is that not high?

That's one of the problems. Most thought that was way too high for him...

If you can believe the after draft "rumors" the Vikings were concerned that a number of teams were looking to take Jackson in the 3rd round and that's why they felt the need to make a move to secure him. I could be wrong, but I thought I read the Cowboys were one of those teams. :D

What’s the difference between Jackson and Schaub?

Schaub was drafted in the 3rd round does not have NFL starting experience and yet he was traded for a second rounder. He has yet to win a regular season game and his completion percentage is under 50%. Schaub is getting paid a 6 yr $48 million contract with the 20 million over the 1st 3 years. Jackson is getting 2.8 million over four years. I am willing to bet Jackson has a better year stat wise; games won, total touchdowns/interceptions and completion percentage.

Schaub = $8 million / yr; $6.67 million / yr guaranteed

Jackson = $700,000 / yr

Bang for the buck, Jackson is a much (MUCH) better deal. Besides, I think you're on the correct side of that bet, too.

If you can believe the after draft "rumors" the Vikings were concerned that a number of teams were looking to take Jackson in the 3rd round and that's why they felt the need to make a move to secure him. I could be wrong, but I thought I read the Cowboys were one of those teams. :D

I thought I remembered the same sort of stories... Maybe everyone else just has short memories. :D

Edited by muck

Jackson is young and has some talent, it takes time to adjust to the NFL and the speed of the game. Vikings are building the offense slowly and I think Rice and Allision will help stretch the field early if nothing else and TJ will be looking alot for the backs and te's early. Allision and Rice should improve by years end and the Vikings must have seen something they like to let Johnson go and not draft another QB. I look for a Atlanta type attack and TJ do put up better numbers than last season. They went out and got Peterson, because he's a rare talent and better than anyone that is coming out next season.

It's very rare for a rookie Qb to develop overnight and patience is needed. Vikings have the Defense and the offensive line is much better than average.

Getting Greenway back is going to help alot and I think people forget about Williamson who I believe is heading into year 3.

Vikings are in a pretty good division for them to succeed. What's not too like if your a Vikings fan?

Your QB needs time to develop and or go out and sign a free agent. I'm guessing they believe in TJ or they would have done something by now.

Tarvaris was fresh meat and threw 2 TDs and 4 INTs, I'll add that he ran one in. So his grand totals in 2 complete games and 2 partial games was a 3-4 ratio... just below average. Yet Alex Smith throw 1 TD to 11 picks and everyone sees upside cause he was a first round pick?

Tarvaris was fresh meat and threw 2 TDs and 4 INTs, I'll add that he ran one in. So his grand totals in 2 complete games and 2 partial games was a 3-4 ratio... just below average. Yet Alex Smith throw 1 TD to 11 picks and everyone sees upside cause he was a first round pick?

but he was a 1st round pick for a reason and played behind what was one of the worst OL's in the league..

the Vikings have a few pro-bowlers on their OL....and Jackson wasn't highly touted by anyone, so this will play a factor into their heads...

I need to see a few more games of Jackson before I can make an assessment....and as I've said, he does have good coaching and a strong OL....and the running game shouldn't be a problem......also the defense is pretty good..

Looks like his teamates have confidence in him;

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectn...ature52507.html

The Vikings traded up in the second round during the 2006 draft to nab Jackson, and there's no doubt the idea was that he would eventually be the franchise quarterback in Minnesota. But as any coach who truly evaluates his roster with an objective eye, Childress holds no pre-determined conclusions about who his starting quarterback will be in 2007.

Coach Childress has maintained throughout the offseason that Jackson and Brooks Bollinger will compete for the starting job, but he's also expressed delight in Jackson's progress and demonstration of leadership over the past few months.

Anyone who's watched Jackson during practice knows that physical skills are not a concern in his evolution into a starting quarterback. He is well-built with an athletic frame and quick feet. He moves swiftly in the pocket and delivers passes with good rhythm and high velocity.

"He's got a tremendous arm," Vikings rookie receiver Sidney Rice said after Thursday's OTA workout. "On the last play today he threw a ball to me from the pocket and it hit my hands and went right through them to my chest and I had to trap it there. It was on me fast. He has what it takes to get the job done this year."

Veterans on the team have just as much confidence in Jackson.

"I know Tarvaris has all the ability to lead us to victory, whoever we play, because he brings so much to the table," safety Darren Sharper said. "He's such a threat as far as running the football and also the arm and the accuracy that he has, and he's a smart kid. So I have all the confidence in Tarvaris."

Such words from a veteran like Sharper say a lot, but Jackson knows he must play well and continue to improve if he wants to become a franchise quarterback.

"I'm a lot farther along than I was last year," Jackson says. "I still have a lot of learning to do, but it just feels good to be here. I'm more confident out here than I was last year coming in, and I have more of a chemistry with my teammates this year than I did last year, so it feels a lot better."

It remains to be seen who the starting quarterback will be when the 2007 season commences - competition between now and training camp will sort all of that out. But whether you ask one his coaches, a rookie teammate or one of the team's seasoned veterans, everyone agrees that Jackson has what it takes to lead a franchise.

No matter how competitive it gets.

Email Mike Wobschall at website@vikings.nfl.net

Fran Foley was in charge of the draft where Jackson was taken in the 2nd round. He was run out of town shortly thereafter. But the drafting of Jackson was one of the few successes that Foley had, even though Jackson was taken ahead of where others felt he should've been at.

I think that T Jackson will be the starter come opening day. The team hasn't made any moves for a veteran QB in the offseason. It would be difficult to assume that they are going to grab a veteran when camp cuts come around and hope for the best.

Nobody knew if Culpepper was going to succeed when he started in his second season. He threw for almost 4000 yards and 33 tds that first season as the starter. Of course he had receivers on the field as others will mention.

Looks like his teamates have confidence in him;

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectn...ature52507.html

The Vikings traded up in the second round during the 2006 draft to nab Jackson, and there's no doubt the idea was that he would eventually be the franchise quarterback in Minnesota. But as any coach who truly evaluates his roster with an objective eye, Childress holds no pre-determined conclusions about who his starting quarterback will be in 2007.

Coach Childress has maintained throughout the offseason that Jackson and Brooks Bollinger will compete for the starting job, but he's also expressed delight in Jackson's progress and demonstration of leadership over the past few months.

Anyone who's watched Jackson during practice knows that physical skills are not a concern in his evolution into a starting quarterback. He is well-built with an athletic frame and quick feet. He moves swiftly in the pocket and delivers passes with good rhythm and high velocity.

"He's got a tremendous arm," Vikings rookie receiver Sidney Rice said after Thursday's OTA workout. "On the last play today he threw a ball to me from the pocket and it hit my hands and went right through them to my chest and I had to trap it there. It was on me fast. He has what it takes to get the job done this year."

Veterans on the team have just as much confidence in Jackson.

"I know Tarvaris has all the ability to lead us to victory, whoever we play, because he brings so much to the table," safety Darren Sharper said. "He's such a threat as far as running the football and also the arm and the accuracy that he has, and he's a smart kid. So I have all the confidence in Tarvaris."

Such words from a veteran like Sharper say a lot, but Jackson knows he must play well and continue to improve if he wants to become a franchise quarterback.

"I'm a lot farther along than I was last year," Jackson says. "I still have a lot of learning to do, but it just feels good to be here. I'm more confident out here than I was last year coming in, and I have more of a chemistry with my teammates this year than I did last year, so it feels a lot better."

It remains to be seen who the starting quarterback will be when the 2007 season commences - competition between now and training camp will sort all of that out. But whether you ask one his coaches, a rookie teammate or one of the team's seasoned veterans, everyone agrees that Jackson has what it takes to lead a franchise.

No matter how competitive it gets.

Email Mike Wobschall at website@vikings.nfl.net

What do you expect them to say? Tarvaris sucks, I wish we had someone better???

This is not news, IMO...

Like when teams say they are happy with their draft picks. They are going to say that no matter what. They aren't going to say, "we made a huge mistake" or "we should've taken so-and-so"...

I would be shocked if Jackson didn't open as the starter.

+1

Whether its the correct decision or not, I am 95% certain at this point in time that he will start the season.

I should rephrase myself. I also think Jackson starts of as the QB as the team has backed him 100 percent. I just think he loses his job early in the season.

One point I haven't seen mentioned is Tarvaris and Troy Williamson only played ONE game together last year. Either one was benched or one was injured or was injured during the game, but on 12/17 vs Jets, look it up...

TJ: 177,1td, 14 of 23 not spectacular but it was his first real start.

TW: 6 catches for 74 yards, his best performance since his week 1/2 blazing start.

Interesting.

I think these two have shown signs of brilliance and they stand a good chance of catching mfers off balance with breakout seasons. TJ is short and unproven, but quick. He runs, so that sort of balances it out. I'd keep an eye out during preseason for these cats.

One point I haven't seen mentioned is Tarvaris and Troy Williamson only played ONE game together last year. Either one was benched or one was injured or was injured during the game, but on 12/17 vs Jets, look it up...

TJ: 177,1td, 14 of 23 not spectacular but it was his first real start.

TW: 6 catches for 74 yards, his best performance since his week 1/2 blazing start.

Interesting.

I think these two have shown signs of brilliance and they stand a good chance of catching mfers off balance with breakout seasons. TJ is short and unproven, but quick. He runs, so that sort of balances it out. I'd keep an eye out during preseason for these cats.

Okay, so I had to look it up.

Jackson played in week 15, 16 and 17.

Brad Johnson played in week 15 and 17.

In week 15 against the Jets, Jackson threw for 177 yds, 1 TD and 1 int. Brad Johnson threw for 96 yards and 1 TD in that game. Williamson had 6-74 but Troy Taylor had 6-81 and 1 TD as the top wideout. In that game, Brad Johnson threw Williamson five passes for three catches and 28 yards. Jackson threw eight passes to Williamson for three catches and 46 yards, four incompletions and one interception. So week 15 only had him catch 3 passes for 46 yards as far as Jackson is concerned (plus the interception).

In week 16, it was the only week that Jackson was the starter all by himself. He threw 10 of 20 for 50 yards and one interception total. In the entire game. Williamson had one catch for one yard. He had one incompletion. That was in the first quarter so he never got another pass but I could find nothing about him being injured. He was benched in week 17 though he was only listed as probable on the injury report.

Williamson led the entire NFL last year with 10 dropped passes. I just find the notion that Williamson having a breakout year as being way more optimistic than I could be given he was the starter in MIN with a veteran QB last year and only managed 455 yards and no scores in 14 games played. He's really fast and yet he only had a 12.3 YPC. I just do not see it myself.

Okay, so I had to look it up.

Jackson played in week 15, 16 and 17.

Brad Johnson played in week 15 and 17.

In week 15 against the Jets, Jackson threw for 177 yds, 1 TD and 1 int. Brad Johnson threw for 96 yards and 1 TD in that game. Williamson had 6-74 but Troy Taylor had 6-81 and 1 TD as the top wideout. In that game, Brad Johnson threw Williamson five passes for three catches and 28 yards. Jackson threw eight passes to Williamson for three catches and 46 yards, four incompletions and one interception. So week 15 only had him catch 3 passes for 46 yards as far as Jackson is concerned (plus the interception).

In week 16, it was the only week that Jackson was the starter all by himself. He threw 10 of 20 for 50 yards and one interception total. In the entire game. Williamson had one catch for one yard. He had one incompletion. That was in the first quarter so he never got another pass but I could find nothing about him being injured. He was benched in week 17 though he was only listed as probable on the injury report.

Williamson led the entire NFL last year with 10 dropped passes. I just find the notion that Williamson having a breakout year as being way more optimistic than I could be given he was the starter in MIN with a veteran QB last year and only managed 455 yards and no scores in 14 games played. He's really fast and yet he only had a 12.3 YPC. I just do not see it myself.

:D

That's some first rate analysis.

By the end of the season, Williamson was in complete meltdown mode. He wouldn't have fared any better with Peyton Manning as QB.

Similar to what Jake Reed did, Williamson went to an eye specialist this off-season to improve his vision. No word yet on whether he went to a HAND SPECIALIST. :D