Sign in to follow this  
kpholmes

Technical Question

I recently had to reformat my 500GB External Hard Drive to FAT32 so I could read it on both Windows and Mac.

I was reading this artcle however and it said Windows can support all sizes of FAT32 Hard Drives, however OSX can only support up to 137 GB, so I would have to partition my hard drive.

However I am able to open and move files around on the external in OSX right now.

Do I really have to partition it?

Or Does it mean once I have 137 GB of data on the hard drive I won't be able to manage it?

Thanks for the help.

I recently had to reformat my 500GB External Hard Drive to FAT32 so I could read it on both Windows and Mac.

I was reading this artcle however and it said Windows can support all sizes of FAT32 Hard Drives, however OSX can only support up to 137 GB, so I would have to partition my hard drive.

However I am able to open and move files around on the external in OSX right now.

Or Does it mean once I have 137 GB of data on the hard drive I won't be able to manage it? I think so

Thanks for the help.

I believe it means the Mac OS can only read/recognize 137gb. I also think that FAT 32 has a file size limitation of 4gb. Just partition it for a 125 & a 375.

Check this link:

http://www.directron.com/formatdrive.html

Or Does it mean once I have 137 GB of data on the hard drive I won't be able to manage it?

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure if i am misunderstanding you here, but i Have a 250Gb external on my G5, and I didn't even so much as install software. Out of th ebox, firewire connected and going.

Are you talking about installing OS X on it as an actual bootable harddrive?

I'm not sure if i am misunderstanding you here, but i Have a 250Gb external on my G5, and I didn't even so much as install software. Out of th ebox, firewire connected and going.

It depends on what format you're running on the hard drive. Can you connect it to both PC and Mac?

My 500 GB hard drive was formatted in NTFS, which is a windows format, but read-only for Mac, so I couldn't add files or change anything on it in OSX.

The only format that allows both OSX and Windows to access it is FAT32. So I reformatted to FAT32.

Macs can't boot from FAT32 formatted disks.

In reference to the other question, I beleive that what happens is that the OS X will only recognize up to a 137 GB drive. If you have a larger formatted drive, the OS will see it as 137 GB. If you try copy more than 137 GB of data, it will say no.

I think (granted I have not tried this) that it will otherwise function normally.

Also, unless you are editing large video files, the 4G limitation is no big deal.

Question: Why are you swapping this drive back and forth? Can you not deal with this through filesharing and just format it in the best way for the machine you are attaching it to?

Question: Why are you swapping this drive back and forth? Can you not deal with this through filesharing and just format it in the best way for the machine you are attaching it to?

Just more convenient for me to be able to access it from both OS, as I am the only one in my family/friend group that has a MAC.

Just more convenient for me to be able to access it from both OS, as I am the only one in my family/friend group that has a MAC.

Interestign to know. I only use mine to back files up to, but I can't boot from it. And I never even considered what I would have to do to hook it up to a PC, I just assumed that it would hook up and read it like it would as it was on my G5.

Interestign to know. I only use mine to back files up to, but I can't boot from it. And I never even considered what I would have to do to hook it up to a PC, I just assumed that it would hook up and read it like it would as it was on my G5.

Well talk to me if ya need to know how to reformat to FAT32 :D