[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tatum Bell the starter for the lions

cliaz

Tatum Bell, RB DEN

News: CBS SportsLine has confirmed that the Lions and Broncos will complete a trade that will send CB Dre Bly to Denver in exchange for RB Tatum Bell, OT George Foster and what is believed to be a fifth-round pick in the 2007 Draft. According to Troy Asmus, one of Bell's agents, the Lions have already given Bell the starting RB job. Bell's agent "talked to the running back coach, and the coach said, 'Look, Tatum's coming in here as the starter, he will not be looking over his shoulder about No. 2. He is going to be the guy.'" Last year's starter in Detroit, Kevin Jones, suffered a Lisfranc injury late last season and likely is not ready to start the season when he gets healthy.

Analysis: Bell's Fantasy status makes a huge leap with this move since he's looking at getting a bunch of reps as the Lions' starting RB for the time being. He is a lot like Kevin Jones -- quick, small and versatile -- but he's a fumbler (five last year; nine in three years). Hopefully that gets corrected as he takes over in Mike Martz's wild offense. Bell moves into the low-end No. 2/top-end No. 3 RB range with this move. You may now see him going as soon as Round 3 and as late as Round 5 in Fantasy drafts.

Bullmanure ... no way has Detroit named Bell the starter over KJ at this point.

granted it is CBS sportsline

EDIT - i bet he will end up being a 3rd down back. I think that Martz is in love with KJ and wont send him to the bench over T. Bell.

Edited by cliaz

IMO he will be the starter at the beginning of the season.I would not be surprised if KJ is sat down until he is more than ready to return and acquiring Bell gives the Lions that luxury.

I don't get what isn't to believe here?? KJ won't be ready, plain and simple. We already know this as fact. Is Artrose Pinner going to start? They wouldn't have given up one of the best corners in the league if they didn't plan on making Bell their starter.

KJ won't be ready, plain and simple. We already know this as fact.

We do?

Please provide a link from an official team source.

(Not some reporter's 3 week old article that was refuted by another reporter within a day and also by Matt Millen)

I don't get what isn't to believe here?? KJ won't be ready, plain and simple. We already know this as fact. Is Artrose Pinner going to start? They wouldn't have given up one of the best corners in the league if they didn't plan on making Bell their starter.

This is from the Lions offical team site and newsletter i receive each week.

RB Kevin Jones Aiming for a Training Camp Return

Photo: Gavin Smith

Talk surrounding running back Kevin Jones and his rehab progress after suffering a Lisfranc injury late in the 2006 season has been circulating in newspapers and television over the past week.

Conflicting reports state that the Lions can expect to lose Jones for “at least half the 2007 season” and also that Jones will be ready for the 2007 season.

Jones himself is “feeling good” and, as Lions’ Head Trainer Al Bellamy stated, “We are extremely happy with Kevin’s progress. His rehab is going very well and he is right where we hoped he would be at this point in time.

“We are optimistic that he will be ready for the beginning of the 2007 season.”

Read Tuesday's Detroit Lions BLOG

On Tuesday afternoon, Jones discussed his feelings toward the reports that have stated he won't be back in time to start the 2007 regular season.

Jones: “It hasn’t been frustrating; it’s been motivating if anything. I thrive off of that type of stuff; when people say: ‘You can’t do this; you can’t do that.’ It’s kind of like with the catching the ball situation. A lot of people were saying ‘You can’t do this; you can’t do that,’ then I came out and caught the ball. Right now my goal is just to get back in there by training camp. Just stay on course with getting it healed up right.”

Getting back by training camp is definitely in the cards for Jones, who suffered the same Lisfranc injury Atlanta Falcons’ running back Warrick Dunn suffered in 2003.

Dunn missed the final five games of the 2003 season (Jones missed the final three games of 2006) and was not only back in time for the 2004 season, but has started every single game since (48 straight games).

Jones’ surgery was performed by the same doctor who performed Dunn’s.

Jones: “My goal is to get back by training camp and try to be able to move around. They’re not going to rush me back and take the chance of me re-injuring myself. So the amount of time it’s going to take … I can’t really tell you an exact date because I don’t know and they don’t really know. Now they’re just trying to see how much it heals.

“But to say I’m going to miss half the season is idiotic because nobody knows the exact thing that’s going to happen with my foot. The doctor who did it said I would be back by training camp, so who would know better than him. He did Warrick Dunn’s foot and he was back for the (start of the 2004) season so hopefully I can heal up too.”

This was Jones’ first athletic surgery and there have been no setbacks in his rehab, but it has crossed his mind that he may not be ready for the 2007 season.

Jones: “It’s crossed my mind, definitely, because it’s my first major injury as far as surgery and things like that. But I have really no control over what happens with my body as far as healing goes; all I can do is my part – just coming in for treatment and trying to get it back. The body heals itself, so I have to just keep going and try to speed up the process. It’s definitely crossed my mind but at the same time I really have no control. I can just try to get back and then I get back.”

As far as Lions fans who may be concerned about his rehab and return, Jones has this message:

“I’m doing fine. It’s not really that tough to deal with – it was in the beginning, but now my spirits are up and I’m just trying to get back to being myself as far as lifting weights and moving around. Walking … I’m in a walking boot right now. Just pray for me and I’ll be fine. I’m not worried so they shouldn’t be worried.”

Edited by alchico

Exactly, we are basing this off an agent pimping his respective client.

One thing is clear, the RB situation in Detroit has become muddled. :D

I must have accidentally "ignored" az and Grits because their posts are gone?

BTW, I totally agree ... what do you expect Bell's agent to say? My client has a shot at starting so long as Kevin Jones is still gimpy?

Wake me up when the Lions coaching staff announces him as a starter or in competition for the starting role ...

Sounds like this might be the year to draft Bell, only to trade him 3 or 4 game into the FF season. If he performs well while KJ is down, you could probably trade him for a decent WR in week 4 or so, before KJ comes back.

Pssssst. He's been a Viking for the last year. :D

If they didn't plan on playing Bell, why trade such a good player for him??

Couple reasons come to mind:

1) Insurance. We won't know if KJ will be really ready to go for some time. He may need to go on PUP or even lose another year... At least Bell gives them some options to RBBC.

2) They get a serviceable lineman. The line alloed a ton of sacks.

3) They can go just about anywhere in the draft at 1.2 now.

What's the hubub all about? KJ's injury is worse than the organization is willing to admit. It's a bad injury. This is much better for the organization than making a panic move like drafting Peterson. KJ will be back, but he's going to miss a significant amount of time. How much time? There's going to be a lot of smoke between the question and the answer.

What's the hubub all about? KJ's injury is worse than the organization is willing to admit. It's a bad injury. This is much better for the organization than making a panic move like drafting Peterson. KJ will be back, but he's going to miss a significant amount of time. How much time? There's going to be a lot of smoke between the question and the answer.

Why would drafting a stud RB like Peterson be a panic move but trading a top corner for Bell not be?

The Saints drafted Deuce when they had Ricky Williams. That worked out ok. Sliding great players down the slots in the draft is ok by me so this isn't a rant.

Edited by MikesVikes