[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tatum Bell the starter for the lions

cliaz

What's the hubub all about? KJ's injury is worse than the organization is willing to admit. It's a bad injury. This is much better for the organization than making a panic move like drafting Peterson. KJ will be back, but he's going to miss a significant amount of time. How much time? There's going to be a lot of smoke between the question and the answer.

it's pretty f'n laughable that tatum bell and george foster would take them out of the market for adrian peterson or joe thomas, but that may very well be what's happening. matt millen for ya. screwing up on chuck rogers and mike williams somehow seems to have taken them out the market for calvin johnson, while they're also endeared enough with klitna and mcclown not to take quinn. :D so now that they don't need any of the blue-chip studs in the draft since they filled their holes with scrubs, do they trade down and take gaines adams or what?

Edited by Azazello1313

Another stupid move by my Lions. I am used to my Lions being bad, but I have to admit that Millen is testing my patience to remain a Lions fan.Dre Bly was a excellent CB and a player any team could use. we got noone in return that is useful.

:D:D:tup:

What're you talking about? T Bell is the next RB to hit 2000 yd rushing. Just ask him.

Nice analogy by Rotoworld:

MLive.com expects the Lions to use Kevin Jones and Tatum Bell in two-back formations once Jones gets healthy.

Mike Martz tried to do the same thing with Trung Canidate and Marshall Faulk back in the day. Jones is like his Faulk and Tatum is like his Trung.

Source: MLive.com

While most everyone in Detroit seems to think this trade is great, I don't.

Pro bowl corners are rare and Bly was that, and I don't care what anyones says. He plays on a Island, covering the best WR on the other team and, yes, that will get you burned sometimes. But he cannot be replaced with the FA out their, draft picks out there or what is on the Lions today.

Tatum Bell, was "okay" in an offense that makes average guys look great. Foster is a dime a dozen tackle of which the Lions have a few already or can pick up cheaply in FA.

So the Lions traded a pro bowler for two average guys who may or may not start. Where is the upgrade? Where have they filled needs that couldn't otherwise be filled? Was a hole not just created at CB?

Granted, he asked for a trade so they may have lost Bly by the end of the year anyways but at least they would have had him in 2007 at a relative bargain.

IMO- It's just another bad move by a poorly run organization.

Edited by Sharpie

Should also change the title of the post.

It reads as a fact, instead of agent spin.

Doubt any agent announces that his player was a throw in with a mediocre lineman. Sure, he'll say that the guy has a chance to start. Heck, he may be the starting kick/punt returner (a starter none-the-less).

I like Dre Bly. I thought he played hard and well for the Lions. I didn't like that the Lions paid him $$$ when he signed, but I eventually came around due to his play. That being said, I'm okay with this trade for several reasons.

First, Bly wanted out anyways. He has a good-sized contract, too. At least we got something for him. Second, Bell isn't a bad pickup given KJ's injury situation. As others have said, this is a far more prudent move than drafting Adrian Peterson, given the gaping holes at other positions. Picking up an o-lineman (even if he is "dime a dozen", that's still better than most of the turds we have) and a draft pick is just gravy.

I think that this pretty much assures us that the Lions first rounder will either be Joe Thomas or a trade down for one of the DE's.

Yeah, a little perspective here:

1) Bly is a very good cover corner. You put him on an island with the #1 WR, and if there's any pass rush whatsover, he wins that battle more often than not. He gives up big plays but makes a lot of them, too. He's willing but unable to be useful in run support.

2) The Lions now play a defensive system where they never ever put a corner on an island with a WR, and instead need a guy who can cover a WR for five yards and then come up and support the run. Ronde Barber is a star in this system and he's got wicked 4.7 speed. Playing Bly $4M/yr to stop the run and be a locker room cancer is stupid.

3) Bly has been a loudmouthed malcontent for a couple seasons now, and he was gone no matter what. Getting two players that fill needs and a second-day pick when he could have just been dead money is outstanding.

Peace

policy

1) Bly is a very good cover corner. You put him on an island with the #1 WR, and if there's any pass rush whatsover, he wins that battle more often than not. He gives up big plays but makes a lot of them, too. He's willing but unable to be useful in run support.

Or he commits pass interference. :D

I think it's hard to say how good/bad this trade was. Bly was good-not-great for DET IMO but is getting old and not sure what his contract situation is, so this might be getting something for him while they can.

Bell isn't exactly LT but actually started out surprisingly strong for DEN last year. He also didn't tend to get many carries, but usually did well when he did.

Really neither is a long-term solution at their position.