[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looks like the Big 10 has it figured out

detlef

Belonging is one thing. Living up to your seeding is another thing. Wisconsin's performance and OSU's (once they faced a half-way decent team) are not exactly number 1 and 2 seed material. Sort of like OSU and UM weren't exactly number one and two in football.

In that respect, I do think the analogy makes sense. The top two teams in the conference are ranked higher than they deserve to be for beating up on a weak conference overall.

Little premature on knocking the Buckeyes, don't you think? Last time I checked they were still in the tourney and are favored to advance to the next level.

Little premature on knocking the Buckeyes, don't you think? Last time I checked they were still in the tourney and are favored to advance to the next level.

I still think they were overseeded. It almost took an act of God to get them to the sweet 16. Hey, I know how the system works. The achieved their seeding based on the record. I just think they've been exposed somewhat (which is really more a condemnation of the Big 10 overall).

Oh and for the record, I'm a Big 10 guy. Just feel it was a down year.

The only thing I'll say is that a lot of team squeek by and end up winning the championship. A lot of good teams throughout the years should have lost and then go on to greatness, ie.. Duke 1992 just to name one.

I still think they were overseeded. It almost took an act of God to get them to the sweet 16. Hey, I know how the system works. The achieved their seeding based on the record. I just think they've been exposed somewhat (which is really more a condemnation of the Big 10 overall).

Oh and for the record, I'm a Big 10 guy. Just feel it was a down year.

Bucks are on a 19 game win streak. Handled both Purdue and Wisconsin fairly easy in the Big Ten Tournament by double digit margins. Granted they won a game they might of should have lost, but that's the sign of a good team. Not gonna sit here and defend the Big 10 overall, but to me with the exception of Wisconsin they did fine in the tourney.

Belonging is one thing. Living up to your seeding is another thing.

To me, living up to your seeding is winning the games against teams seeded beneath you.

Ohio State (1) beat Central Connecticut State (16) and Xavier (9). So far so good.

Wisconsin (2) beat Texas A&M Corpus Christi (15) and lost to UNLV (7). They lost a game they were seeded to win.

Indiana (7) beat Gonzaga (10) and lost to UCLA (2). They did what they were supposed to do.

Purdue (9) beat Arizona (8) and lost to Florida (1). They exceeded their seeding.

Michigan State (9) beat Marquette (8) and lost to North Carolina (1). Again exceeded expectations.

Illinois (12) lost to Virginia Tech (5) as they were expected to based on seeding.

So we have 2 teams that followed seeding to form, 2 that beat a higher seeded team, 1 team that was upset, and 1 team still playing. To me, Wisconsin is the only team that did not live up to their seeding. And I'll echo that the Brian Butch injury hurt them alot.

Purdue (9) beat Arizona (8) and lost to Florida (1). They exceeded their seeding.

Michigan State (9) beat Marquette (8) and lost to North Carolina (1). Again exceeded expectations.

So the only two exceeding happen to be a 9 over an 8 (and Marquette was without arguably their best player).

Those games are coin flips so I wouldn't really call that some great accomplishment.

Plus I don't think it's as black and white as this. How did the teams play overall?

Wisconsin not only didn't escape the second round but very nearly lost to a 15 seed in the first.

Then OSU nearly lost to a 9 seed. My analogy to the football season was really focusing on the top two teams (in order to compare them to UM and OSU in football).

Why wasn't Oden given a flagrant for steamrolling that kid from X on the rebound late? Ballgame right there - if I was a fan of X, I'd be hopping mad.

I know the refs like to avoid being the focus in these big ones late, and I usually agree, but that was a horrible non-call....

Edit to add: And I have OSU going all the way vs. FL in the final, lest someone think I'm a hater...

Edited by Coffeeman

To me, living up to your seeding is winning the games against teams seeded beneath you.

Ohio State (1) beat Central Connecticut State (16) and Xavier (9). So far so good.

Wisconsin (2) beat Texas A&M Corpus Christi (15) and lost to UNLV (7). They lost a game they were seeded to win.

Indiana (7) beat Gonzaga (10) and lost to UCLA (2). They did what they were supposed to do.

Illinois (12) lost to Virginia Tech (5) as they were expected to based on seeding.

So we have 2 teams that followed seeding to form, 2 that beat a higher seeded team, 1 team that was upset, and 1 team still playing. To me, Wisconsin is the only team that did not live up to their seeding. And I'll echo that the Brian Butch injury hurt them alot.

:D

This is a debate that has been going on between NBA and college coaches for years. Some like to foul in that situation, some don't - it is not poor coaching though. Most of the top coaches in both the NBA and college do not foul there. Many times you can get a continuation type-foul, or end up with a strange bounce of the missed 2nd FT- many many factors, and even if it may be a good strategy, it goes against what coaches teach, and believe in. Many coaches would rather play tough D, make them take a defended 3. Most times this works- in this spot Lewis hit the 3 - tough to swallow.

It goes "against" what coaches teach? Teams that are down employ the "foul the other team strategy" to stop the clock with regularity.

It goes "against" what coaches teach? Teams that are down employ the "foul the other team strategy" to stop the clock with regularity.

Yeah - it does - yer talking about an Xavier team UP by 3 with the clock winding down. Coaches teach to play tough D, and make the shot contested. Coaches tend to believe in their team, and will take their chances with not fouling- as you have seen many many times.

fyi - it happened to UW vs. UCONN 2 years ago, and Lorenzo Romar's defense was that....

A) he had seen too many guys get continuation calls and be at the FT with a chance to tie

:D a wacky bounce off the 2nd FT, resulting in an offensive rebound, and them sticking a 3 - bam, game over. Certainly not often- but that made Romar not foul. He also went on about believing yer team can play good enough D to contest a 3, and the % are in yer favor. .

The foul or not foul is debated all the time- the % are in yer favor playing tough D, but when they actually stick the 3 like Lewis- it sure makes the fouling option look nice...........

Tenn didn't foul Virginia in the same situation but we're not talking about that because Virginia missed. Xavier went with the odds but Lewis made a great shot.

Tenn fouled Virginia when they were up by 3 or 4 near the end of the game as UVA was bringing the ball up the court. It actually happened twice inside the last 20 secs. UVA made both FTs on both occasions.

Edited by detlef

Will agree with your analogy IF Ohio State doesn't make it to the final four and even more so if they don't make the elite 8.

Don't applaud yet, the Big 10's great savior still needs to get by the underdog Vols.

They need a HUGH second half to get out of the Sweet 16. Down by 17 at the half.

• 2 weeks later...

Update- Buckeyes did indeed live up to their seeding.