[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ACC Hoops Final Weekend of Regular Season.

PantherDave

Wow, what a year huh, hell I enjoyed it much more than I thought this year. I'd like to sneak outta College Park with a win on Saturday, but Maryland is just playing lights out right now. I would like to say that I'm very proud of NC State this year and I believe Lowe will do fine in Raleigh. He has one of the best power forwards in the country coming to play in Raleigh next year-someone Sendeck would have never been able to land. Most predicited last place and a losing record for the Wolf Pack in the ACC and no postseason, well the Pack will finish no worse than 15-14, they have qualified for the Nit Pick, and with wins over Michigan and UNC plus the sweep of VT..I'd say Lowe goes coaching into the postseason.

Edited by PantherDave

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be nice to see NC State regain it proper place in the ACC, as most around here just remember UNC and Duke. While Duke has always had a decent program through the decades, it is very amazing how Dukes rise to the top, which began really in 1990, coiensides with NC States collapse due the NCAA restrictions and penalties. Funny how most seem to forget that after 17 years of what is now the ACC landscape. I see the Dookies and Tarbabies get all offended and rather defensive when the re-rise of NC State is mentioned......well it's already starting to happen..get used to it. Duke and Carolina just got used to/spoiled that Sendeck could not compete with them to bring in top notch talent recruiting wise. Already Lowe has assembled a very nice class next year for NC State and with his haul the following year will have already brought into Raleigh more top talent than Sendeck ever did.....college B Ball is about recruiting and facilities....Lowe can and NC State has the facilities in spades. I'm new here, but c'mon....no real next level talent wanted to come and play the Princeton style offensive!! Herb had to run that style to compensate for the talent differnce NC State faced....that is just to plain to see. The Heels are the King of the ACC Mountain and Duke passed NC State ACC history wise since 1990. Even after all the hard times since 1990..NC State is still 3rd place with regular season titles, ACC tournament titles and Natl. Championships. It's gonna be fun to watch the fat and spoiled start to squirm in the ACC.

It will be nice to see NC State regain it proper place in the ACC, as most around here just remember UNC and Duke. While Duke has always had a decent program through the decades, it is very amazing how Dukes rise to the top, which began really in 1990, coiensides with NC States collapse due the NCAA restrictions and penalties. Funny how most seem to forget that after 17 years of what is now the ACC landscape. I see the Dookies and Tarbabies get all offended and rather defensive when the re-rise of NC State is mentioned......well it's already starting to happen..get used to it. Duke and Carolina just got used to/spoiled that Sendeck could not compete with them to bring in top notch talent recruiting wise. Already Lowe has assembled a very nice class next year for NC State and with his haul the following year will have already brought into Raleigh more top talent than Sendeck ever did.....college B Ball is about recruiting and facilities....Lowe can and NC State has the facilities in spades. I'm new here, but c'mon....no real next level talent wanted to come and play the Princeton style offensive!! Herb had to run that style to compensate for the talent differnce NC State faced....that is just to plain to see. The Heels are the King of the ACC Mountain and Duke passed NC State ACC history wise since 1990. Even after all the hard times since 1990..NC State is still 3rd place with regular season titles, ACC tournament titles and Natl. Championships. It's gonna be fun to watch the fat and spoiled start to squirm in the ACC.

Hey, this guy speaks my language!!!! Now that was well said/typed :D

Edited by PantherDave

A little note to UVa and Dave's boy's.......regardless of who you play on Tobacco Rd......always bring your A game, because if ya don't the #12 seed will punch you in the mouth and put your destiny in another teams hands......UVa loving Duke about right now :D ......17.7 left....I'm submitting :D

A little note to UVa and Dave's boy's.......regardless of who you play on Tobacco Rd......always bring your A game, because if ya don't the #12 seed will punch you in the mouth and put your destiny in another teams hands......UVa loving Duke about right now :D ......17.7 left....I'm submitting :D

I don't think it begins and ends with Tobacco Rd, I believe it is ANY Road. extremely poor effort and lack of focus with a chance to secure the #1 seed. for that matter, we don't deserve it anyway since we can't beat Miami or Wake. Amazing!

I say again, typical UVA...build me up and then tear me down.

However, even with the dissappointment today, if anyone told me they would have a first round bye and a 4 seed going into the ACC Tourney at the beginning of the season, I would've bet against that! No one thought they would have this type of season. I like what DL is doing with the program and hopefully it's only an upward climb.

Regardless of how UVA does or doesn't in next weeks tourney, it is shaping up to be one of the best in a while......WIDE OPEN.

Billay, is our one week avy bet on again for Duke-UNC tomorrow?

I actually have one with jackshi for tomorrow. Loser wears winner's avy and sigline until the winner's team gets knocked out of the NCAA Tourney.

I love how you State fans are always at the ready to proclaim yourselves as the elite in the ACC. You did the same thing when Amato came to town. We all know how that turned out. PD was on here a month ago saying the exact same stuff you are now when State beat UNC, then State went out and lost to Miami. :D

Don't get me wrong, I like Lowe and think he will be a solid coach, but if you guys think that UNC and Duke are trembling at the idea of a resurgent national powerhouse in Raleigh, think again.

ETA: I am pulling for you guys today against Maryland. :D

Edited by billay

Regardless of how UVA does or doesn't in next weeks tourney, it is shaping up to be one of the best in a while......WIDE OPEN.

Right now, my money is on Maryland. This is a veteran team. They have had 4 years to simmer and they are playing their best ball.

I love how you State fans are always at the ready to proclaim yourselves as the elite in the ACC. You did the same thing when Amato came to town. We all know how that turned out. PD was on here a month ago saying the exact same stuff you are now when State beat UNC, then State went out and lost to Miami. :D

Don't get me wrong, I like Lowe and think he will be a solid coach, but if you guys think that UNC and Duke are trembling at the idea of a resurgent national powerhouse in Raleigh, think again.

ETA: I am pulling for you guys today against Maryland. :D

Well, I didn't say the two blues would tremble, but if you think Lowe will not bring in equal talent now at NC State, talent that Sendeck and his system never would have gotten in these kids driveway, then I say take the blinders of success off right now. Lowe will bring in better talent every year than Sendeck-that you can take to the bank. Before the sanctions this was a perinnail top 15 program year in and year out...and the Wolf Pack will be again.

Edited by Capt. Waffle

Also,Billay, being a Heel fan, you have to agree just how much the right coach means to a program?? The Heels did not look like the Heels until Gut and Matt got cycled through post Dean, for as soon as Roy hit Chapel Hill, in essence, the Heels and the mystique have been back-no question in my mind.

Living in Raleigh, its amusing to hear all the State fans wanting to get "back to national prominence". Uh, when was that, over 30 years ago? And essentially due to one guy. The '83 run to the title, while entertaining, was far from national prominence. I'm a big east fan and don't care either way, I also like Lowe and think the program will improve, but Carolina your not.

Well, I didn't say the two blues would tremble, but if you think Lowe will not bring in equal talent now at NC State, talent that Sendeck and his system never would have gotten in these kids driveway, then I say take the blinders of success off right now. Lowe will bring in better talent every year than Sendeck-that you can take to the bank. Before the sanctions this was a perinnail top 15 program year in and year out...and the Wolf Pack will be again.

Oh yes, I will definately agree that having the right coach makes all the difference in the world and Sendek(success or failure aside) never quite fit in in Raleigh. The Good "ol boy fanbase doesn't want to hear about easten philosophy when you're supposd to be getting pumped up for a game. But that was Herb. He was a very cerebral guy and his teams reflected that.

I can't speak to the recruiting success of Lowe up to this point, but I would think, as someone with NBA experience, that always helps when trying to recruit kids. Sendek didn't have and and he didn't have any players in the NBA that he could point to and say "See, I know what I'm taking about...go ask so-and-so". So I'll grant you that point. But Sendek wasn't as bad as many State fans would have you believe. He just happened to be exceptionally bad against Duke and Carolina. I think much of the differences come in the perspective inside and out of State Nation. State fans think their program is appealing enough to attract a top-tiered coach. People outside the fan base don't see it in the same light. You scoff at Calipari and Barnes for not coming to State when everybody else assumes that's the obvious outcome. State was an ACC powerhouse many, many years ago. You boast one of the ACC and NCAA's all time best in David Thompson. Valvano had some notable talent, but as somebody said above, the "83 championship was more of an abberation. Fire and Ice was the last time i can remember a potent State Team, and to me, Gugliotta was the last significant talent at State and by the time he was gone, State had already fallen out of relevance in the ACC.

Maybe Lowe will ge a good coach. Maybe he'll be excellent, but let's be realistic here. State has notable wins over 2 teams. Every team in the league has a notable win over somebody. The win over UNC looks far less lustrious now. State has a way's to go.

Beat Maryland today and get to the ACC Championship game. Then I'll be impressed.

Living in Raleigh, its amusing to hear all the State fans wanting to get "back to national prominence". Uh, when was that, over 30 years ago? And essentially due to one guy. The '83 run to the title, while entertaining, was far from national prominence. I'm a big east fan and don't care either way, I also like Lowe and think the program will improve, but Carolina your not.

on point- NC State hasn't been on the radar since the miracle run in 1983. That was a awesome cinderallla story - but let's get real they have been redheaded stepchild of Carolina and Duke, and that won't chang in our lifetimes.

As a west coast, Pac 10 guy I have always rooted for NC State in the ACC bc I like rooting for the underdog and get sick of the Heels & Dook. They are what they are, a 2nd tier program in the ACC. I like Lowe, and think he will do well there.

Edited by wildcat2334

Well, that went about as expected, as Maryland is just white hot right now and playing awesome team basketball. I'm not going to get any where with the debate, but let's just say I'm going to enjoy the process that will happen in Raleigh, also, on the flip side, just to think it won't because of our two blue neighbors is a little pompous. So, this year, with what they had..who did better K or Lowe???

on point- NC State hasn't been on the radar since the miracle run in 1983. That was a awesome cinderallla story - but let's get real they have been redheaded stepchild of Carolina and Duke, and that won't chang in our lifetimes.

As a west coast, Pac 10 guy I have always rooted for NC State in the ACC bc I like rooting for the underdog and get sick of the Heels & Dook. They are what they are, a 2nd tier program in the ACC. I like Lowe, and think he will do well there.

Your history of the ACC is lacking, Duke was the red headed stepchild up to 1990....NC State won the ACC regular season title in 1989....that's 6 years after 1983. Duke's rise was in the 1990's and Duke didn't pass State for regular season championships until the 90's when they were becoming what they are now--study a little more ACC there CAT.

Your history of the ACC is lacking, Duke was the red headed stepchild up to 1990....NC State won the ACC regular season title in 1989....that's 6 years after 1983. Duke's rise was in the 1990's and Duke didn't pass State for regular season championships until the 90's when they were becoming what they are now--study a little more ACC there CAT.

going back 17 years to 1990 is enough history for me- cmon y'all gotta turn the page eventually.

I dunno, as far as histroy of the ACC- I am fully aware of Duke only being what they are after K got there. I am not saying NC State hasn't had a nice run in a given year- but as far as National prominance- NC State ain't on the map my man.

The last time we heard anything about NC State out west was when the Pack wore those skin tight uniforms that looked like a wrestling uni.

going back 17 years to 1990 is enough history for me- cmon y'all gotta turn the page eventually.

I dunno, as far as histroy of the ACC- I am fully aware of Duke only being what they are after K got there. I am not saying NC State hasn't had a nice run in a given year- but as far as National prominance- NC State ain't on the map my man.

The last time we heard anything about NC State out west was when the Pack wore those skin tight uniforms that looked like a wrestling uni.

Before NCAA sanctions this was a perinnial top 15 program :D -you obviously know very little of the history of the ACC.

Also, K was nearly run outta Durham in the mid 80's, he had Vic Bubbas on his side , so he made it through the lean times....you really must study more.

naw- could care less actually- I will go with present day, moving forward. The past is the past-

There is a very good reason why coach K built such a powerhouse. Hardwork and good old fashioned

$cash$ and cars.........

naw- could care less actually- I will go with present day, moving forward. The past is the past-

There is a very good reason why coach K built such a powerhouse. Hardwork and good old fashioned

$cash$ and cars.........

See that is the fine line here...I hate UNC and Duke, but I like K and Roy. So, I respect K immensley. I really wish you could head over Cat next year and catch a game in Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill, I think then you'd have a better understanding of life in the ACC.

Also, while UNC and Duke just hate each other guts due to the proximity...this superhyped rivalry was created in the 90's and had more credence because of Duke becoming just as prominent as UNC...this did not happen until the 90's. I hope Billay will concur this, but while Duke is enemy #1, the bigger "game" in the 60's, 70's and 80's was the game with NC State. Duke was a mere gnat to the Heels in 70's and 80's. It's also my case and point-Duke until 1990 was a 2nd and at time 3rd tier program, while you may not care about the "past" of the ACC or NCAA B Ball....just 17 years of prominence? As the Heels (the respect/hate thing again), have been doing it since 1952...so as for NC State, they were prominent in the ACC for 40 yrs, and up until 1990 had a winning conference record against every team in the ACC except North Carolina.

Edited by PantherDave

See that is the fine line here...I hate UNC and Duke, but I like K and Roy. So, I respect K immensley. I really wish you could head over Cat next year and catch a game in Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill, I think then you'd have a better understanding of life in the ACC.

Also, while UNC and Duke just hate each other guts due to the proximity...this superhyped rivalry was created in the 90's and had more credence because of Duke becoming just as prominent as UNC...this did not happen until the 90's. I hope Billay will concur this, but while Duke is enemy #1, the bigger "game" in the 60's, 70's and 80's was the game with NC State. Duke was a mere gnat to the Heels in 70's and 80's. It's also my case and point-Duke until 1990 was a 2nd and at time 3rd tier program, while you may not care about the "past" of the ACC or NCAA B Ball....just 17 years of prominence? As the Heels (the respect/hate thing again), have been doing it since 1952...so as for NC State, they were prominent in the ACC for 40 yrs, and up until 1990 had a winning conference record against every team in the ACC except North Carolina.

Yes, I will concur with this, but the thing is, when Duke hit their stride, it was just ridiculous and IMHO a bit of a hit on the ACC. Duke was strong in the early 90's but they really stepped it up another level in "97-99" Do you realize that Duke lost 2 games in 3 years of ACC play? They lost 1 game in "97, undefeated in "98 and lost 1 more game in "99. That is absurd in a league like this. 2 games in 3 years.....that is what made Duke the program that is is today. No other program has reached that level of dominance in modern ACC play. There is an asterik, however, and that is that Dean Smith retired in "96. There was no marquee Coach with whom K had to contend during those years. Gary William stepped it up as best he could, but the damage had been done.

Yes, I will concur with this, but the thing is, when Duke hit their stride, it was just ridiculous and IMHO a bit of a hit on the ACC. Duke was strong in the early 90's but they really stepped it up another level in "97-99" Do you realize that Duke lost 2 games in 3 years of ACC play? They lost 1 game in "97, undefeated in "98 and lost 1 more game in "99. That is absurd in a league like this. 2 games in 3 years.....that is what made Duke the program that is is today. No other program has reached that level of dominance in modern ACC play. There is an asterik, however, and that is that Dean Smith retired in "96. There was no marquee Coach with whom K had to contend during those years. Gary William stepped it up as best he could, but the damage had been done.

Very well said, and that run still just baffles the hell outta me as well, but it sucked more for me due to the fact that I watched my program just pure tie gutted. Nobody wanted to play for a low schlorship no post season eligibility program and this meteoric rise of Duke. Also, people have got to understand that what happened to NC State(even though they deserved it) is maginified so much more because of the ACC prominece and it's neighbors on Tobacco Rd. The fact is simple-any other school from a different conf could rebound quicker than NC State-plain and simple truth.