[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Northcutt to the Jags

Dennis Northcutt-WR- Browns Mar. 3 - 6:33 pm et

The Jaguars have reportedly signed WR Dennis Northcutt to a five-year contract worth roughly $3.4 million-per-year. He got $4.5 million to sign.

Jacksonville wanted a smallish speedster to stretch the field between Matt Jones and Reggie Williams, and apparently believes the drop-prone Northcutt is the answer. He should take some pressure off Maurice Jones-Drew on returns but could cut into Ernest Wilford's playing time.

Source: Florida Times-Union

4.5 million to sign Northcutt??? :D

When I heard the news, I thought it was good, he is a solid player in the locker room and brings some speed to the offense... however upon seeig the terms he agree too.... OUCH.

I simply hope this means they don't draft a WR in round 1.

they still should. He's proven that as a WR, he's a great return man...

ok, i've been the guy saying all along we have to stop focusing on the dollar amounts cause we're thinking too much relative to 2-3 yrs ago when $4m was "a lot". Now, $4M is a tiny. It's like when baseball seemed to skip from $3M or so to $10 overnight. In the NFL, avg salary's have been relatively stable, and that has got to change, so need to get comfortable with $8 to 10M a year being "avg" in a few years for starters.

but this one is f'n nuts - being a longtime northcutt dynasty owner, he isn't worth $400k....

You know, I live in Jax and I WANT to be a Jags fan. I really do.

Unforutnately, I don't see that happening as long the current regime is in place. I don't know if there's another team in the league that's worse than the Jags when it comes to judging talent, at least on the offensive side of the ball. At this point, I attribute Maurice Jones-Drew to either the law of averages or sheer dumb luck.

Edited by tomfin2000

I don't know if there's another team in the league that's worse than the Jags when it comes to judging talent,

Detroit?

Listen, not to long ago we were 12-4... last year, look at the teams we beat, 375 yards rushed on the superbowl champs, year before we smoked Seattle and Pitt, both Superbowl Teams.

Sure, they lose games they shouldn't, I put that square on the leadership. Hopefully the freddy signing and Northcutt signing will help the young guys, I for one am looking forward to leftwich this year, he'll have to leave it all on the field, cause he and everyone else knows, this is gonna be his and delrio's last year if they repeat 2006.

The future is bright, we have a great spot in the draft, the defense is still there, 2007 will be a great season, you wait and see.

Listen, not to long ago we were 12-4... last year, look at the teams we beat, 375 yards rushed on the superbowl champs, year before we smoked Seattle and Pitt, both Superbowl Teams.

Do you get to hang a banner for that too?

Jags coaching staff stinks. Not only do I agree that their offensive scouting is poor, but their player developments is terrible. Leftwich is pretty much the same guy he was when he came into the league. Reggie Williams was a reach in the first place, but that guy hasn't improved either. Matt Jones is heading into his third year, we'll see. They have a big physical offensive line, and a big strong back in Fred Taylor, but they struggle in short yardage. It's just a poorly coached team. Great talent on defense has kept them respectable.