[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

little league baseball

isleseeya

Thanks all ...a lot of good advice and different perspective ...the coach tells me he thinks my son is good enough to handle it , my son wants to try moving up and is excited , so I guess that's the way we are going ...we will see what happens

Thanks again

If your son can compete and will get playing time, then it would be ok to move him up.

If he's going to be pulling splinters out of his behind, then leave him down.

As far as the draft goes, when I ran a league we did evaluations just to get an idea of the kid's abilities. Then a week later we would do the draft. Everything was done by number.

I'd rather the coaches draft their teams so that hopefully the teams come up balanced and everybody can compete each game rather then 1 team of studs that decimate everybody else.

I would evaluate the coaches kids and assess a draft slot for them. Some kids I'd take the first pick and some was in the middle. Tried to make it where the teams were balanced.

We did the pick them out of a hat for a couple years before I took over and always had one team that wiped everybody out.

Honestly it does depend on the kid. 12 year olds throw a lot harder then 10 year olds do, a lot harder. I played in a league of 10-12 year olds when I was 10 and the mound was still 45 ft or something like that. You get a big 12 year old throwing to smaller 10 years olds and you see why you might want him to stay back. Some kids can handle getting beened by a real fast ball, some can't.

Oh and why wouldn't you have a draft? If you don't some coach loads his team up with the best players. Baseball, like many sports is very politcal.

I guess you also want them all to get trophies too and not keep score either. Then he gets 18, gets few failing grades freshman year and drops out.

We're talking about 10-12 year olds, not 6-8 year olds.

Sheesh.

Edited by chiefjay

It still astounds me that there is a draft for 10 year old youth baseball teams. Unreal world we live in these days.

So true..I started my girls on roids when they hit 2 to avoid all of this nonsense..It sickens me :D