[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great White Shark

spain

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw a documentary on Discovery one time, they were filming off some of the uninhabited islands the Sea Lions frequent off shore in NorCal. They had an old surfboard with a hole drilled through the center so the camera on top of the board peered down into the depths. Finally it happened, you see this faint pinprick that just rushes at the camera, then the maw of Jaws and teeth....then POW the thing goes flying in the air. So surfers are not bumped and tugged like you might think, but freight trained from below just like those seals.

Saw a documentary on Discovery one time, they were filming off some of the uninhabited islands the Sea Lions frequent off shore in NorCal. They had an old surfboard with a hole drilled through the center so the camera on top of the board peered down into the depths. Finally it happened, you see this faint pinprick that just rushes at the camera, then the maw of Jaws and teeth....then POW the thing goes flying in the air. So surfers are not bumped and tugged like you might think, but freight trained from below just like those seals.

Wow. :D Well at least you get a cool little push into the air before being eated by the great white shark. Those things are awesome. :D

I wonder how much force an animal of that size and speed can generate as it approaches the surface from the bottom of the ocean floor. I am guessing that the force of the collision stuns or knocks out the seal and then he can eat the little bas turd at his leisure...

Another story..a true story. Buddy is doing NorCal working his way to Mavericks eventually. He goes out for a morning session....then notices all the sea lions on the beach..he then runs into something......but wait he's paddling out in open water. Turns around and said he just about stroked out right there. He had run into a Great White that had popped a sea lion and was waiting for it to bleed out he figures. He said the tip of his board bumped into the nose....he said it was grey and as wide as the hood of a car. Evidently it was a warning tap to leave the area and let it eat in peace. The guy has never surfed another day in his life-can you fuggin imagine that :D . He just let the tide and swell start to push him back into shore and said the scariest moment was when the shark went back under, as he thought for sure it was gonna blow up on him from below.

Edited by PantherDave

I wonder how much force an animal of that size and speed can generate as it approaches the surface from the bottom of the ocean floor. I am guessing that the force of the collision stuns or knocks out the seal and then he can eat the little bas turd at his leisure...

That particular documentary said it depends on the size of the White, but around 3,000 to 3,500 lbs worth of torque when it pops it's target.

I cant watch the video at work but I'm assuming youre looking at segments from a Discovery Documentary called "Air Jaws". There is only one place in the world where Great White sharks exhibit the "breeching" hunting tactic. Its an island off of the South African coast called "Seal Island". Apparently the reason they attack like that there is due to the undersea geography. About 100 meters off of the island there is a hugh shelf where the sharks lie in wait for a seal to appear above them. They are hidden by this wall so the seal has no clue the shark is waiting there. When the shark sees that shillouette above he attacks almost horizontally causing them to breech like you see.

I cant watch the video at work but I'm assuming youre looking at segments from a Discovery Documentary called "Air Jaws". There is only one place in the world where Great White sharks exhibit the "breeching" hunting tactic. Its an island off of the South African coast called "Seal Island". Apparently the reason they attack like that there is due to the undersea geography. About 100 meters off of the island there is a hugh shelf where the sharks lie in wait for a seal to appear above them. They are hidden by this wall so the seal has no clue the shark is waiting there. When the shark sees that shillouette above he attacks almost horizontally causing them to breech like you see.

This one was off Northern California and trust me, they breeched(blew up) on the sea lions here-not seals.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16785254/

Check this living frickin' fossil out. That's sci-fi looking stuff right there.

And PD - if I were your friend, I'd never surf again and would've gotten blown out drunk by 1030am that day.

Yeah, he did, on the plane ride home, as he brought his lucky azz back to North Carolina the same day my man.

This one was off Northern California and trust me, they breeched(blew up) on the sea lions here-not seals.

With the sea lions being a bigger and heavier prey the Whites could not get completely airborne(the bigger one's did, and the sea lions looked to be about the same size as the seals in the video), but all got 1/2 to 3/4 of their bulk outta the water even with 500-700 lb sea lions.

They were young tigers, as an adult tiger is about twice the size of an adult lion.

Some tigers are bigger, but not by that much...or so says a couple of zoos... :D

Adult Lion

Typically a mature male stands 4 feet at the shoulder and is 8 .5 feet long, plus tail. He'll average 450 pounds.

Adult Tiger

the largest mainland tigers, such as Indians—females weigh between 220 and 352 pounds, and males weigh between 396 and 570 pounds. Total length ranges from seven to 12 feet.

Granted they are just zoo websites...

Very well could be, but the adult male Tiger can push 800lbs-I beleive and a Lion aroun 450-500lbs-I beleive.

Perhaps not-good info, as I was just relaying what I had heard on a documentary about Tiger poaching. They definently said 700-800 lbs, but I'd trust the zoo website as it's not like a documentary would "expound" on anything :D

Perhaps not-good info, as I was just relaying what I had heard on a documentary about Tiger poaching. They definently said 700-800 lbs, but I'd trust the zoo website as it's not like a documentary would "expound" on anything :D

Well as Siegreed and Roy said, "A Tigers weight is nothing to lose your head over"... :D

They were young tigers, as an adult tiger is about twice the size of an adult lion.

according to wikipedia, adult male lions usually range from 330-550 pounds, while adult male tigers range from 440-700. so tigers tend to be bigger, but generally not double the size.

edit: as always, i should read the whole thread before responding :D

Edited by Azazello1313

Was it a Michael Moore documentary? :D

Anyone check some of the other animal fight videos? Tiger kicked Lion's butt, as crocodile's as well.

it was impressive the way that tiger just methodically took out the croc. made it look easy. totally owning that similarly sized lion was impressive as well. i woulda guessed the other way, thinking lions in the wild are more likely to have to fight other predators, so they'd have more skillz.

tiger vs. grizzly or tiger vs. polar bear would be interesting. the bears are probably bigger, but my money is on tiger all the way.

hey this thread is cool, it's like being in 6th grade all over again :D

shows on great whites and wwII stop my channell surfing. i will never, ever intentionally get in the water with a white.

i've done quite a bit of diving around monterrey and carmel freaks me out every time..... wife (pre-marriage) and i were planning a trip to monterrey. two weeks out we heard of a white attack in humbolt (very northern california), one week out we heard of a white attack at stinson beach (marin- just a little north of SF).... less than a week out...and attack in santa cruz (just a little north of monterrey)..... we did the trip but didn't dive.