[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great White Shark

spain

shows on great whites and wwII stop my channell surfing. i will never, ever intentionally get in the water with a white.

i've done quite a bit of diving around monterrey and carmel freaks me out every time..... wife (pre-marriage) and i were planning a trip to monterrey. two weeks out we heard of a white attack in humbolt (very northern california), one week out we heard of a white attack at stinson beach (marin- just a little north of SF).... less than a week out...and attack in santa cruz (just a little north of monterrey)..... we did the trip but didn't dive.

wuss .. I'd have gone all :D on the sharks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

shows on great whites and wwII stop my channell surfing. i will never, ever intentionally get in the water with a white.

i've done quite a bit of diving around monterrey and carmel freaks me out every time..... wife (pre-marriage) and i were planning a trip to monterrey. two weeks out we heard of a white attack in humbolt (very northern california), one week out we heard of a white attack at stinson beach (marin- just a little north of SF).... less than a week out...and attack in santa cruz (just a little north of monterrey)..... we did the trip but didn't dive.

Yeah, they're scary. No doubt. But you were probably in more danger getting on the freeway than you were getting into the water. More people (world wide) get chomped to death by hippos each year than by sharks. That said, I doubt you're out there splashing around with hippos, either.

Edited by yo mama

One would think an adult male tiger that is 12' would tip the scale around 700ish. The male they tranqued in the documentary was fuggin hugh, as it was getting near a village and the poachers, so they took it deeper into the jungle. The sucker was as I said HUGH.

Let's just be thankful it's big brother died off long ago.....unless ya beleive the "Trench Theory". I just can not fathom a basically 60'-80' Great White that was Carcarian Megladon. They should have been able to survive some scientist say, while others blame the ice age, either way most likely the apex preadator as far as all time is concerned.

Learned to dive in NoCal near cannery row etc. spotted mostly blues when diving. Stayed away for the most part surfing NoCal(except Steamers) as it was colder and the whites seemed to love the decent break areas around there.

Oh yeah a killer whale will kick the sheet out of any great white and snack on them!!

it was impressive the way that tiger just methodically took out the croc. made it look easy. totally owning that similarly sized lion was impressive as well. i woulda guessed the other way, thinking lions in the wild are more likely to have to fight other predators, so they'd have more skillz.

tiger vs. grizzly or tiger vs. polar bear would be interesting. the bears are probably bigger, but my money is on tiger all the way.

hey this thread is cool, it's like being in 6th grade all over again :D

If you do research on tigers, they are just bad-ass. My wife claims that a lioness is more bad-ass than a tiger, but she's clearly wrong.

I was at the Milwaukee Zoo and their tiger habitat is a faux rock wall with a big glass panel in it. Everyone was standing there looking at two tigers lazing in the sun without realizing that the 3rd one was walking along the wall, and it came out of NOWHERE to walk right in front of the glass and give us the eye - "the eye" roughly being a feeling that the tiger was looking at us thinking we'd make a good week of lunches. The ENTIRE CROWD (me included) of about 20 people went "yikes!" and took a few quick steps back.

Learned to dive in NoCal near cannery row etc. spotted mostly blues when diving. Stayed away for the most part surfing NoCal(except Steamers) as it was colder and the whites seemed to love the decent break areas around there.

Oh yeah a killer whale will kick the sheet out of any great white and snack on them!!

I've heard you can see pods of Killer Whales do just that....food or protecting the calves?

I've heard you can see pods of Killer Whales do just that....food or protecting the calves?

Arent Killer Whales actually a member of the dolphin family rather than actually being a whale?

I've been told that the only animal sharks fear is the dolphin.

:D Then again, a killer whale is a cousin to the dolphin....

Both, Killer Whales RULE the sea. Also a couple dolphins will do quite a number on a Great White and pods of dolphins kill the bastages just for fun :D

Story several years back outta Surfer Magazine, a young man from Austraila decides upon completing his studies and lining up a nice gig to follow. Will take a Surfing holiday to South Africa-he does, all they find is the bottom half of the board with half his lower leg still attached to the leash. In NorCal it's generally a mistake, in South African waters.....you are part of the food chain, as they have developed the taste for us humans.

No Whites, but plenty of Tigers at Cape Hatteras, and I've been chased outta the water by one, but still it's the #1 man-eater, so, some fun and sun that day.

More protecting calves. Heard a story from down in baja. THe killer whales were following the gray whales dwon to their breeding ground. A Tiger shark was out in the mouth of wherever they were waiting. Big male orca dives and blitz attacks from underneath, literally breaching with this large Tiger shark in it's mouh and killing it. Didn't eat it, just left it for the sea to consume.

Arent Killer Whales actually a member of the dolphin family rather than actually being a whale?

They are actually the largest species of the dolphin family.. Orcinus Orca and have no natural predators... other than man :D

I've been told that the only animal sharks fear is the dolphin.

:D Then again, a killer whale is a cousin to the dolphin....

Sharks will come after dolphin pups, but the dolphins can be vicious. IIRC, they are the only species other than man that have been proven to kill for pleasure/sport, and not just for food/defense.

Let's just be thankful it's big brother died off long ago.....unless ya beleive the "Trench Theory". I just can not fathom a basically 60'-80' Great White that was Carcarian Megladon. They should have been able to survive some scientist say, while others blame the ice age, either way most likely the apex preadator as far as all time is concerned.

Carcharadon Megalodon... I have a fossilized tooth of one at home. It is HUGH. Makes Great White Teeth look very small in comparison. There are some photos somewhere of the reconstructed Megalodon jaw with a full grown man standing inside of it. It's jaws were large enough to handle a VW Beetle whole.

No Whites, but plenty of Tigers at Cape Hatteras, and I've been chased outta the water by one, but still it's the #1 man-eater, so, some fun and sun that day.

Tigers are nasty. They will eat anything too. I remember one of my Shark books had a section on the strange things that had been found in the stomachs of sharks.... licens plates, etc... even a suit of armor.

Sharks will come after dolphin pups, but the dolphins can be vicious. IIRC, they are the only species other than man that have been proven to kill for pleasure/sport, and not just for food/defense.

Yeah, dolphins are faster and smarter than sharks - it's kinda like Jackie Chan beating up some barroom tough guy, I'd imagine.

Carcharadon Megalodon... I have a fossilized tooth of one at home. It is HUGH. Makes Great White Teeth look very small in comparison. There are some photos somewhere of the reconstructed Megalodon jaw with a full grown man standing inside of it. It's jaws were large enough to handle a VW Beetle whole.

Try SIX grown men....it's enough to scare you outta the bathtub, much less the ocean.

I saw a documentary of a pod of Orcas coming upon this much larger whale with her baby. They attacked the baby for 6 long hours before finally drowning it. The baby would try to get up on its mothers back, while the Orcas would try to crash into it. It was a dam big baby too. I am unsure what other defense they could use but they finally tired out the baby, knocking it out, and killed it. But they only ate its enormous tongue. I think it was a gray whale I believe..

I remember hearing somewhere that after doing extensive overhead photgraphy of many beach areas they figured that if you've ever been in an ocean, chances are VERY good you've been within 100 feet of one or less.

The photos consistently showed sharks lurking just off of most human swimming areas, out of sight of people but clearly close enough for sharks to know that we're there.

I'd imagine......well i guess I actually could not, but it might have been the "When Animals Attack", but showed some poor sap getting mauled by a big Grizzly, and at .one point the guys whole head was in the Gizzly's mouth The way it just slapped that guy around underneath it-terrifying to say the least. It attacked him because he shot it-just pissed the bear off was all.