[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great White Shark

spain

Anyone know what is the largest great white ever caught ( length and lbs ) ?

I thouught heard 30 ft long

There was a 20' I believe caught off Rhode Island-ironically in the late 70's shortly after Jaws in 1976.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did yall see the recent documentary with the guy who actually swims in the water with Great Whites? he will even grab their dorsal fins and ride along. I saw it within the last month or so. He did it on that island off the coast of cali where the Great whites feed on those seals. He also got a female photographer and another dude get out of the cage and swim around too. They are stupid beyond all understanding... :D

Did yall see the recent documentary with the guy who actually swims in the water with Great Whites? he will even grab their dorsal fins and ride along. I saw it within the last month or so. He did it on that island off the coast of cali where the Great whites feed on those seals. He also got a female photographer and another dude get out of the cage and swim around too. They are stupid beyond all understanding... :D

Sounds like "Grizzly Man" has some competition.

I'd imagine......well i guess I actually could not, but it might have been the "When Animals Attack", but showed some poor sap getting mauled by a big Grizzly, and at .one point the guys whole head was in the Gizzly's mouth The way it just slapped that guy around underneath it-terrifying to say the least. It attacked him because he shot it-just pissed the bear off was all.

They say you should "play dead" in that predicament :D -that sounds easier said than done.

They say you should "play dead" in that predicament :D -that sounds easier said than done.

I think after the grizzly gets a few chomps out of you, it's probably pretty easy. :D

No Whites, but plenty of Tigers at Cape Hatteras, and I've been chased outta the water by one, but still it's the #1 man-eater, so, some fun and sun that day.

Quint: You're in the cage?

(Hooper nods)

The cage is in the water?

(Hooper nods)

The shark is in the water too?

(Hooper nods)

You're in the water with the shark.

Hooper nods. Quint sings "Spanish Ladies" half to himself.

Oh yes, the bamboo and termite eater (adult male silverback gorilla)would decimate a lion, tiger, grizzly with ease. It would try it's best to avoid conflict, but if cornered or it believes you/it mean harm to one of his mates or children.....look out-pure unbridled rage of bone crushing power.

Like the video says - those killer whales act much like a pack of wolves.

I am surprised any gray whales survive. Do they simply hope that they live long enough without being seen by any Orcas? I meant, they seem fairly defenseless against a determined pod of Killer Whales...

I remember hearing somewhere that after doing extensive overhead photgraphy of many beach areas they figured that if you've ever been in an ocean, chances are VERY good you've been within 100 feet of one or less.

The photos consistently showed sharks lurking just off of most human swimming areas, out of sight of people but clearly close enough for sharks to know that we're there.

Absolutely, grew up swimming in the ocean and have never stopped. Never been really scared except:

1)seeing my first shark(a blue) while diving with my older brother, literally stopped breathing whoch made the shark curious and my brother laugh at me to this day. He calmly swam over and pulled my mask off and that settled me down I guess or rather concentrating on something else and I started breathing again. Shark swam off. 2) Bodysurfing in Mazatlan during high wave and high jellyfish warnings. Was loving life as I basically had the whole place to myself as most every sane person was on shore. Big set comes in and I'm swimming my arse off to go out and meet it. Diving under 8-9 footers can take its toll and they kept coming and I kept swimming and diving under them and now figuring I just need to catch one last one so I could get myself back in safely. Just about climbing these puppies now, but in position to actually take off on one and make it to shore. Now I'm a very strong swimmer, but also dead tired by now and take off late thus going over the falls and into the washing machine of a large f'r. Last thing I remember is my brother saying get to the bottom and hold on by digging your fingers in the sand(there is six to eight inces of calm water right at the bottom in all sized waves, it is getting there that can be troublesome at times). Well I get to the bottom and dig like h@ll and then start to surface. Just then a half of a big jellyfish gets wrapped around my upper arm and neck. so I'm sort of now standing/crawling in the washout of some big friggin' waves thrashing around trying to get this stinging mf'r off me and not drown at the same time. Couldn't get the thing off me and I could see bright purple welts on my arm and hands from grabbing the slimey sheet off me, so I dive head first towards the shore on the next whitewater that crashes my way and don't lift my head until I'm in knee deep water. I'm now screaming and yelling to people to get this off me. No one will so I walk to my towell and wrap the towell around my hand and start to peel this biatch off. By now the medical staff from the resort have been called and are on their way down to the beach. I get this thing off me and have HUGH spiral welts around my neck and down my arms like a bad Mike Tyson tat. I start to put wet sand on them to ease the pain. Meds come down there and take me to the clinic. F$CK I'm in pain!! Dr. says he can give salve and pills, or a shot for the pain. I told him all three. He says bueno. Thirty seconds after the shot I felt ZERO pain at all. ZERO!! It also kept me up all night and I drank like a fish and felt nothing. Atill don't know what wasin that syringe, but it sure worked. Next day the welts where down and to a light blue reddish hugh and fairly painless. So.... I went at it again. Gringo Loco. 3) Diving in Belize having the time off my life in 70ft clarity and sealife galore. All off a sudden and I mean sudden the biggest meanest looking Barracuda comes vitually out of nowhere and is intent on biting my dive partner. My buddy is flippin' out and pissing his air fast at 30ft. Cuda for some reason got tired of this dance and left as fast as it came. I did not dive for two days after that. Opraher was mean and ugly with major tude to go with. All in all the calmer more level headed you can stay in our Mother Ocean during stress the better. We are some pretty big fishes ourselves if you think about it and with much larger brains than most others swimming with us.

Now imagine this power.....a 600lb charging male tiger can be stopped dead cold-skull crushed by the blow of an enraged stationary male silver back gorilla....now that's power.

Well, the tiger would be exhausted by traveling all the way from India to Central Africa on foot..... :D

I cant watch the video at work but I'm assuming youre looking at segments from a Discovery Documentary called "Air Jaws". There is only one place in the world where Great White sharks exhibit the "breeching" hunting tactic. Its an island off of the South African coast called "Seal Island". Apparently the reason they attack like that there is due to the undersea geography. About 100 meters off of the island there is a hugh shelf where the sharks lie in wait for a seal to appear above them. They are hidden by this wall so the seal has no clue the shark is waiting there. When the shark sees that shillouette above he attacks almost horizontally causing them to breech like you see.

You are partially right here Demon...a recent study was done after the breeching great whites of South Africa was documented and studied. A scientist wanted to know if this was a hunting technique developed over time or was the way a Great White would attack that prey regardless. We all know about the South African Whites (no pun intended)...their next stop was off the coast of Northern California. They theorized that the bigger Great Whites of the Northern California type would not breech (bigger because the seals that are preyed upon in Northern California are bigger (more fat reserves)) so the predators are larger as well. When they towed their little seal contraption along...yep, you guessed it, the Norther Californian Great Whites breeched as they attacked the "seal" from below. Long story short...the Aussie Great Whites did the same when they went there next. It was a very interesting show as they showed that the three main populations of Great Whites all attack the seal prey identically. This was a follow up documentary to the Air Jaws show on Discovery.

Anyone check some of the other animal fight videos? Tiger kicked Lion's butt, as crocodile's as well.

:D

I posted that tiger vs crocodile video a long time ago...the tiger ended up killing the 20ft croc as the croc was trying to steal the tiger's prey. Tigers will often kill larger prey by a bite to the back of the neck.

They were young tigers, as an adult tiger is about twice the size of an adult lion.

As was previously noted, tigers are generally bigger than lions. The Siberian Tiger is the biggest in the tiger family and can get as big as the 700-800 lbs (males). The largest male lions can get up to 500-550lbs. Interestingly, the second largest tiger in the tiger family is the Bengal Tiger and the males can get up to 500lbs.

And to Az's statement about bears vs tigers...I've read that a tiger will fair much better in a fight with a bear because tigers and bears cohabitat...whereas the lion doesn't come across them. Tigers also prey on smaller bears...up to around 400lbs or so.

Let's just be thankful it's big brother died off long ago.....unless ya beleive the "Trench Theory". I just can not fathom a basically 60'-80' Great White that was Carcarian Megladon. They should have been able to survive some scientist say, while others blame the ice age, either way most likely the apex preadator as far as all time is concerned.

Yeah, Carcharodon Megalodon was big, but revised estimates have them probably not bigger than 50'...not to downplay the size mind you!

But...as far as predators, I think the liopleurodon takes the cake. At roughly 75 ft long (estimate) and teeth over a foot long, this thing was massive and most likely the largest predator to ever live on the face of the earth. Liopleurodon from Walking With Dinosaurs...

:D

I wonder how much force an animal of that size and speed can generate as it approaches the surface from the bottom of the ocean floor. I am guessing that the force of the collision stuns or knocks out the seal and then he can eat the little bas turd at his leisure...

There is a video where they built a surf board into the shape of a seal off the coast of South Africa and put a camera on it facing down into the water. It was to measure the speed and force of the attack of a great white shark.

When you watch the video in real time you don't even see the shark coming up from the depth it just appears and the video feed goes dead. They said that its speed was comparable to a cheetah (not as fast just comparable in relation) and the force of it’s bite broke the gage that measured the pressure of the attack as it bit it at the wrong angle.