[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

used car

Dr. Sacrebleu

I asked huddlers about buying a car a few years ago, and I got a lot of good advice. Didn't buy a car back then. Now I really really need to get one.

-We have at most 10 grand to spend

-we are not car people AT ALL. So we do not care about any of the things that car people care about. Our only concern is: will it get us from here to there

-I would prefer a station wagon for work purposes. I am always lugging tons of paint, and other supplies from one job to the next.

A friend of mine's brother just sent a group email out trying to sell his 98 Nissan Maxima with 112 000 miles on it for 5300$ (kelly blue book value) is it worth making a low ball offer for a car that i wasn't really looking for in the first place. IIRC someone here was badmouthing Nissans.

I am off to do a little research. would love your guys input in the meantime.

FWIW leasing is not an option, having a newborn, a filthy shedding dog, and being very prone to knocking over gallons of paint at a time, I think that precludes me from being a leasing candidate (unless I misunderstand leasing)

Certified pre-owned seemed to be the way to go for our concerns, but my oh my are those cars expensive for what they go for in the private market. That's a lot to pay for a little peace of mind....

For that matter, does anyone have a car to sell?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked huddlers about buying a car a few years ago, and I got a lot of good advice. Didn't buy a car back then. Now I really really need to get one.

-We have at most 10 grand to spend

-we are not car people AT ALL. So we do not care about any of the things that car people care about. Our only concern is: will it get us from here to there

-I would prefer a station wagon for work purposes. I am always lugging tons of paint, and other supplies from one job to the next.

A friend of mine's brother just sent a group email out trying to sell his 98 Nissan Maxima with 112 000 miles on it for 5300$ (kelly blue book value) is it worth making a low ball offer for a car that i wasn't really looking for in the first place. IIRC someone here was badmouthing Nissans.

I am off to do a little research. would love your guys input in the meantime.

FWIW leasing is not an option, having a newborn, a filthy shedding dog, and being very prone to knocking over gallons of paint at a time, I think that precludes me from being a leasing candidate (unless I misunderstand leasing)

Certified pre-owned seemed to be the way to go for our concerns, but my oh my are those cars expensive for what they go for in the private market. That's a lot to pay for a little peace of mind....

For that matter, does anyone have a car to sell?

Check out a Subaru Outback or Forester. It has the space you need (SW), good repair records, good MPG, and they always rank high in safety. You should be able to get a 1999 or 2000 for less than $10K. I have a 2001 and love it.

FWIW....I'd never by a car w/ over 100K miles on it. JMHO.

Edited by rocknrobn26

edmunds.com is the best car site out there to compare and contrast different makes and models. But first let me say, dont buy a friggin car with 112k miles. You have a $10k budget. Get a 2003 Toyota Corolla or something along those lines with half the miles on it.

I'm selling a Mazda Millenia with 53k miles on it, and listing for $11 but would take $10. It's not a great work car for what you describe, but does have a big trunk.

What year is it?

Check out a Subaru Outback or Forester. It has the space you need (SW), good repair records, good MPG, and they always rank high in safety. You should be able to get a 1999 or 2000 for less than $10K. I have a 2001 and love it.

+1

EDA: Also, FYI, Consumer Reports big annual car issue is out this month.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Sounds like you need a van if you are a contractor. I bought a 2000 Ford van in 2002 and have never regretted it. Prior to that I had a pickup truck. I was always loading and unloading, what a pain that was. Can you afford to put some down and then finance a small amount to get something dependable?

I recently bought a 98 Subaru Outback with 95K for about $6,500. It has been great so far, and plenty of room for a small car.

The Outback would be my first car of choice in regards to size, ease of loading/unloading stuff, keeping my liberal cred. Problem being that it seems to keep its value too much. Dealers asking for a LOT of money for a car with many many many miles on it. I have not looked into private sales yet, guess it's time to get into that really painful routine :D .....

Ford Focus station wagon seemd like a good candidate. Liked the passat and volvo, but they are really spency

What year is it?

Don't want to be the guy pimping used cars on the huddle - just throwing out there that one is sitting in my driveway costing me $80 a month in insurance and some payments on credit (long stupid story).

Agree with all those that say don't buy a car over 100k - regardless of how good it may have run to that point, you will get hit with a costly repair bill shortly...

'01 Subaru Legacy L 4D Sedan $11,599 67K Maroon

'00 Subaru Outback 4D Wagon $10,998 80K

'03 Subaru Legacy L 4D Sedan $13,599 70K Red

'04 Subaru Outback 4D Wagon $13,998 79K

'04 Subaru Legacy GT 4D Sedan $15,998 42K Silver

from carmax. I dunno. These numbers seem a little high to me considering the mileage and/or year, no?

I'm selling a Mazda Millenia with 53k miles on it, and listing for $11 but would take $10. It's not a great work car for what you describe, but does have a big trunk.

Don't want to be the guy pimping used cars on the huddle - just throwing out there that one is sitting in my driveway costing me $80 a month in insurance and some payments on credit (long stupid story).

Agree with all those that say don't buy a car over 100k - regardless of how good it may have run to that point, you will get hit with a costly repair bill shortly...

LOL

I am so used to associating the eagles logo with NSAB, that all I was thinking was that perhaps NSAB wasn't exactly who he claimed to be on these boards, what with him having a mazda millenia. Took me a few ticks to remember that there are many other momos out there rooting for Philthadelphia :D

:D

from carmax. I dunno. These numbers seem a little high to me considering the mileage and/or year, no?

Go plug all the specs into www.kbb.com. Then go over to www.edmunds.com and compare them and then go to their forums. All you need to know is there...

I love Subaru too btw...

Hey Sac...there are some seriously good deals in this link so don't just pass it by because it says Audi. There is a 1999 A6 wagon for $9995 with 68K miles...another one for the same price with 70K...Audi makes a great car and the customer service is great.

Carmax is always high.

LOL

I am so used to associating the eagles logo with NSAB, that all I was thinking was that perhaps NSAB wasn't exactly who he claimed to be on these boards, what with him having a mazda millenia. Took me a few ticks to remember that there are many other momos out there rooting for Philthadelphia :D

many others....but jsut to clarify (I have to) - the car was my wife's (I had an Acura SUV). Then we had our first child, and for size, safety and mileage issues, we switched. The Mazda is a great car...but I wanted my Acura back desperately. After a year and another child, finally had to just buy the wife her own SUV (leased a Pilot - christmas gift) mostly to get my MDX back.

If this sounds like a big whiny "i'm not a millenia guy".....it is -to myself.....

Hey Sac...there are some seriously good deals in this link so don't just pass it by because it says Audi. There is a 1999 A6 wagon for $9995 with 68K miles...another one for the same price with 70K...Audi makes a great car and the customer service is great.

with the new sac hanger, i'd recommend an A6 wagon or all-road for the size of the backseat.

LOL

:tup:

And they all swiped my Avy! :D