[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

used car

Dr. Sacrebleu

you might think about the smaller subaru impreza wagon models (including the outback sport). will be cheaper than the legacy, a bit smaller, better mileage...but still with lots of utility.

i owned an older acura integra hatchback once (which dovetailed into the RSX line, which is now gone)....and it's amazing how much chit you can haul in one of those.

another good option would be like a honda CRV, or toyota RAV4.

if you're buying a car with some miles on it, i'm a big believer in honda/toyota. the germans last a long time too, but once they start needing repairs, things can get pricey.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC someone here was badmouthing Nissans.

That someone was Bill Sluprski, he bought a loaded 'senta', which is like buying a loaded pizza at a gas station. Need I say more?

The maxima's have been, and are, great cars.

Ford Focus station wagon seemd like a good candidate.

RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!!!!! :eek:

www.autotrader.com is your friend, lots of dealers selling cheap with many private sales as well.

Don't want to steal the thread or anything like that but I am also looking to buy a used car;

I currently drive a 2004 mustang, but it's way to small for me (I'm 6'4") and all of my music gear I drive around. I'd also like to have something I can take to the snow with me.

I'm hoping to sell the mustang around $11-13,000 as it's in great shape and I've just had a lot of work put into it.

I'm looking at something like the Isuzu Rodeo. I really like the rodeo's size, and its look and stuff. Afew of my buddies have Rodeo's I've driven before and I love the feel.

However after reading reviews, theres a handful of complaints about them; the value is dramatically dropping (making reselling it impossible one day), theres complaints about the interior and the car's reliability.

So if anyone knows anything about Rodeo's, or other midsize SUV's in the same price range, I would love the imput.

Thanks.

I'm selling a Mazda Millenia with 53k miles on it, and listing for $11 but would take $10 . It's not a great work car for what you describe, but does have a big trunk.

10 Bucks.........SOLD!!!!

Just let me know yer Paypal e-mail and I'll get it to you right away!

And you better not be a dirty welcher!

Don't want to steal the thread or anything like that but I am also looking to buy a used car;

I currently drive a 2004 mustang, but it's way to small for me (I'm 6'4") and all of my music gear I drive around. I'd also like to have something I can take to the snow with me.

I'm hoping to sell the mustang around $11-13,000 as it's in great shape and I've just had a lot of work put into it.

I'm looking at something like the Isuzu Rodeo. I really like the rodeo's size, and its look and stuff. Afew of my buddies have Rodeo's I've driven before and I love the feel.

However after reading reviews, theres a handful of complaints about them; the value is dramatically dropping (making reselling it impossible one day), theres complaints about the interior and the car's reliability.

So if anyone knows anything about Rodeo's, or other midsize SUV's in the same price range, I would love the imput.

Thanks.

One of our cars is a hyundai tucson. It is a mid size suv and rides very nice and the price was right. Nothing very elaborate but has nice options that come standard. ranked well in safety tests and has a nice warranty as well.

1 vote for the minivan. Inexpensive to buy and operate - haul tons of stuff with better access to all parts of the vehicle than a wagon.

We bought a '99 Dodge grand caravan 5 years ago and have spent exactly $42 in unplanned repairs. Gas, oil, tires and one serp belt is it. They're low on cool factor, but get a big :D from me.

all my reading indicates that a wagon is in fact cheaper than a minivan both in initial cost and maintinance.

Does that mean I agree with H8? :D:D:tup:

Here's another weird question:

Saturn used to make a station wagon called the SW or SW2. They seemed to have stopped making them in 2001. Now I see them listed for very very cheap. I am guessing their value which was never very high to start off with dropped as a result of the discontinuation. Seems like that would make it a good buy for me (value low on impression not necessarily on functionality). I am assuming that mechanics could get any part needed for such a car just as easily as, say a 98 maxima, or do you guys think that each time I had to fix something it would be more expensive?

Thanks for all the input

all my reading indicates that a wagon is in fact cheaper than a minivan both in initial cost and maintinance.

Does that mean I agree with H8? :D:D:tup:

Here's another weird question:

Saturn used to make a station wagon called the SW or SW2. They seemed to have stopped making them in 2001. Now I see them listed for very very cheap. I am guessing their value which was never very high to start off with dropped as a result of the discontinuation. Seems like that would make it a good buy for me (value low on impression not necessarily on functionality). I am assuming that mechanics could get any part needed for such a car just as easily as, say a 98 maxima, or do you guys think that each time I had to fix something it would be more expensive?

Thanks for all the input

a friend of mine has the sw2 wagon , i know hes over 200 grand on it cause he likes to tell me about it often.

one last question:

if you pay cash, can you expect a discount from a dealer?

read someone's previous post about dealing with stinkin'dealers (very helpful) this did not come up.

different schools of thought on that. like yuke said, i think they tend to view trade-ins and financing as chances to make more money off of you, so removing them from the equation could actually hurt your bottom line on the price. but then again, if they know you've got the cash in your pocket ready to lay on the table, and that if they don't cut the deal you want you'll walk next door and give your cash to them....that can be a powerful incentive for them to deal.

personally, i think you're better off negotiating solely on price of the car you want to buy, deflecting any of their questions about financing and/or trade-in.

personally, i think you're better off negotiating solely on price of the car you want to buy, deflecting any of their questions about financing and/or trade-in.

yup thats what i do and don't be afraid to walk if u think you are getting the shaft.

I'm about 90% sure I'm gonna get rid of my black '94 Vette in the next couple of months. I've driven it about 500 miles in the past 2 years. I drive it so little, I have to charge the battery each time. :D

No sense paying insurance, taxes, etc on it since it just sits there. Runs strong, strong, strong. Too loud for wimmin.

Edited by TimC

Saturn used to make a station wagon called the SW or SW2. They seemed to have stopped making them in 2001. Now I see them listed for very very cheap.

Saturn is just a GM under the hood, a well built one at that. My ex had two, both cheap, excellent gas milieage, quick, no problems, so yeah, I could recommend them. They are so cheap cause they are ugly, so you will get good value, just no bangin supermodels in the back.

if you pay cash, can you expect a discount from a dealer?

Of course, regardless what these people have told you, (who have never been a dealer and maybe buy one car every 3-7 years) money talks. The best thing for you to do it decide what car you want first.

Find one or several via the internet that fits the bill, call the dealer or individual and say you have no trade, tell them you are paying via cashiers check, whats the best price to get you to come there and buy it. Via the phone, they know they have one shot at you. Get the price, check what the loan value is at bank, if it's close, go for it.

Don't be a chick, go shopping lots, kicking tires, say you may buy it, ask how cheap, all that schit. Do that, you start making decisions based on emotion. Take the emotion, and any leverage the dealer has by making all those decisions up front.

Find one or several via the internet that fits the bill, call the dealer or individual and say you have no trade, tell them you are paying via cashiers check, whats the best price to get you to come there and buy it. Via the phone, they know they have one shot at you. Get the price, check what the loan value is at bank, if it's close, go for it.

that is great advice. phone or email (email even better because you can print it out and bring it in with you). they know you are shopping around and they WILL come out with pretty much their best price.

Thanks for all of your help guys.

I went against most of your recommendations, not becasue they weren't top notch, but because I just have so many things on my plate these days that each extra day of looking at cars is basically costing me half a grand. So I am the proud new owner of a Nissan Maxima with 112 000 miles. Mechanic said the car was solid, though it was time to change the belt, hoses, and break pads. 3 tiny chips in the window means that for safety sake I probably should have that fixed at some point. Break pads starting to wear down, and a rotor problem front tire needs to be dealt with. Previous owner came down 500$ on the price as a result. Final cost 4795$

And one last question: How do I clean the engine? :D:D

I know it's weird, but at one point obviously some rats took residence in the engine (over the last 6 months, the owner never drove it) and there are mongo rat droppings everywhere. I don't care obviously...I'm French. But I am just thinking thatif any of these droppings are getting to the climate controls, this could be really unhealthy for my newborn. Or is there no chance of that happening (ie is it a hermetically closed circuit)