[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamal Lewis to the Browns

justin

March 7, 2007 9:02 PM ET

Browns: Lewis signs

The News

Free agent running back Jamal Lewis agreed to terms with the Browns Wednesday. The terms of the deal were not disclosed for Lewis, who ran for 1,132 yards and nine touchdowns with the Ravens a year ago.

Our View

The Browns have apparently decided the plodding Lewis is a better option than the plodding Reuben Droughns, who will now likely be released before being paid a roster bonus next week. It still wouldn't surprise anyone if Adrian Peterson was the team's choice in the first round of next month's draft, but fantasy owners hoping for an immediate breakout from Peterson will now be hoping he doesn't land in Cleveland.

March 7, 2007 9:02 PM ET

Browns: Lewis signs

The News

Free agent running back Jamal Lewis agreed to terms with the Browns Wednesday. The terms of the deal were not disclosed for Lewis, who ran for 1,132 yards and nine touchdowns with the Ravens a year ago.

Our View

The Browns have apparently decided the plodding Lewis is a better option than the plodding Reuben Droughns, who will now likely be released before being paid a roster bonus next week. It still wouldn't surprise anyone if Adrian Peterson was the team's choice in the first round of next month's draft, but fantasy owners hoping for an immediate breakout from Peterson will now be hoping he doesn't land in Cleveland.

Reuben Droughns ...we barely knew ye

Wow. Its going to be weird to see him not in purple and black.

Amen to that. He has been a big part of the organization over the past 6-7 years. The first jersey that I ever owned was a purple #31 and one my most memorable games attended was on Sept 14, 2003 when he rushed for 295. I'll miss him as a player.

There aren't many other RB's in the history of the NFL that have had more yards rushing with just one team (I think about 12).

Mike Anderson will be 34 around week three of this coming season.

I don't know that there is a RB in the history of the NFL with a more up and down career than him ... through no real fault of his own ....

Each time he's been asked to produce he has ... just hasn't been asked nearly as often as one would have expected given his productivity when he has been asked.

Check it out. In the only two seasons where he was given more than 15 carries / game, he had over 1,000 yards and 12 TDs ... yet, he's only done that twice in six seasons (tossing out his missed year from injury) as coaches have moved him all over the place.

Other than being 34, he really doesn't have much mileage. Maybe he can still get it done for a year or two...dunno. :D

The Ravens are expected to trade for McGahee in the next day or two. Their abrupt release of Edwin Mulitalo, who has started next to Ogden the last 7 years, gives the team more $$$ with which to sign McGahee to an extension.

I loved the time we had with Jamal, but he's been done for about 18 months now. Besides no EVER goes to Cleveland to revive their career, they go there to die.